Top 10 Most Underrated U.S. Cities

but there are many other fabulous – albeit smaller – American cities

Smaller American cities?

Houston is not small. So when they say that people are going to think that its on a much lower level than NYC, Chicago, SF, etc.

Edit: My bad, I didn't read the whole article 1st, so I did not realize that they said Houston was the 4th largest city in the USA.

So you're basically saying that downtown Brownsville housing is run by slum lords operating beneath the market.

No matter the demographics, downtown Brownsville has narrow sidewalks, little public transportation and few commercial ammenities leading to a sub-par walkable environment, IMO.

So you're basically saying that downtown Brownsville housing is run by slum lords operating beneath the market.

No matter the demographics, downtown Brownsville has narrow sidewalks, little public transportation and few commercial ammenities leading to a sub-par walkable environment, IMO.

I wouldn't use the term "slumlords" because it has an immensely negative connotation where often none is deserved (after all, somebody's got to own the cheap housing). And I wouldn't say that they're operating beneath the market, but that they're catering to the market through channels that have proven effective.

The fact that there are so many people that walk there leads to the conclusion that it is a highly walkable environment. If they could not walk there because it was not walkable, nobody would be walking there. Why is that so difficult to understand!?

Downtown Brownsville does not have large amounts of pedestrians walking around. Their sidewalks don't even hold the capacity for large amounts of pedestrians because they are too narrow.

I do not like the term "slum lord" either, I've heard the term used during a presentation speech to describe property owners that rent out their property's without putting them through a realtor. This is what you described in your post.

Downtown Brownsville does not have large amounts of pedestrians walking around. Their sidewalks don't even hold the capacity for large amounts of pedestrians because they are too narrow.

Having been there not but two months ago as compared to your eight years, I beg to differ. The sidewalks are indeed narrow, but they accomodate a large amount of pedestrians. It isn't downtown Houston or anything at all on that scale, obviously, but it is indeed very walkable. People walk there. Therefore it can be walked. Walkable.

It gets hot there too, just like home, except its the oven-like "dry heat". <_<

Well I wouldn't say "just like home." Many people don't even have AC there, they get by with a swamp cooler. Also, the nights are frigid by east Texas standards. The average low there during July is colder than it has ever gotten in Houston (well, at least the last ~110 years of reliable instrumentation). That allows them to do something unimaginable east of 35 in Texas.... opening windows at night!

Jason

People also seem surprised that Houston is so green. I never knew it wasn't supposed to be green. It's s subtropical climate for goodness sake.

Washington DC is subtropical too, that's not the source of the green. What makes Houston green is the humidity and rainfall.

Jason

Washington DC subtropical? That's a new one. In what sense of the word is Washington DC subtropical?

According to information retrieved from several websites that deal with climate zones, cities on the northern periphery of the North American humid subtropical climate zone include Louisville, Cincinnati, Washington (DC), Baltimore, Philadelphia (northern-most metropolitan area), Wilmington (DE), and Atlantic City.

:o I just looked on this list and Portland, OR is on there... WTF ?!? This place is one of the MOST OVERRATED places. The cost of living is incredibly high, it is grey here for about 8 months out of the year, plus the museum they mentioned is over $7 per person with no free days ! Oh did I mention the saturation of bums and beggars downtown ? Plus the majority of people who live here are full of themselves. Plus -> No DECENT TEX MEX :angry: ( I am suffering from withdrawls....sorry)

As of today gas is over $3.10/gal and the bus will run you $2.00. The shopping is subpar (except for the Columbia outlet in the Sellwood neighborhood)... all this screams overrated to me. I still do not know why people would choose to move here. Did I mention the State and County tax ? But there is one good thing -> I got a Trader Joes B)

PS I am here to go to school . . . . . :ph34r: Like my mom keeps telling me; I am only visiting.

According to information retrieved from several websites that deal with climate zones, cities on the northern periphery of the North American humid subtropical climate zone include Louisville, Cincinnati, Washington (DC), Baltimore, Philadelphia (northern-most metropolitan area), Wilmington (DE), and Atlantic City.

Interesting... Seems a little bizarre. Washington does not bring the word subtropic immediately to mind for most people, Iwould guess...

Interesting... Seems a little bizarre. Washington does not bring the word subtropic immediately to mind for most people, Iwould guess...

I agree that most people would not consider Washington, DC or Philadelphia to be subtropical, which speaks to the differences between the definitions, classifications, and understandings of the layperson and those of people with professional or specialized knowledge in a particular subject.

:o I just looked on this list and Portland, OR is on there... WTF ?!? This place is one of the MOST OVERRATED places. The cost of living is incredibly high, it is grey here for about 8 months out of the year, plus the museum they mentioned is over $7 per person with no free days ! Oh did I mention the saturation of bums and beggars downtown ? Plus the majority of people who live here are full of themselves. Plus -> No DECENT TEX MEX :angry: ( I am suffering from withdrawls....sorry)

As of today gas is over $3.10/gal and the bus will run you $2.00. The shopping is subpar (except for the Columbia outlet in the Sellwood neighborhood)... all this screams overrated to me. I still do not know why people would choose to move here. Did I mention the State and County tax ? But there is one good thing -> I got a Trader Joes B)

PS I am here to go to school . . . . . :ph34r: Like my mom keeps telling me; I am only visiting.

i thought there is no sales tax in OR or was it no state income tax?

I thought the weather was really nice every time I go, It's grey to look at, but isn't it great to feeling cool all the time and not so humid.

Nice walkable downtown, and many nature and outdoor hiking areas so near downtown.

Lots of ppl biking all over I remember.

great outdoors, nature in very direction, including the pacific ocean that is much better to look at than the gulf coast.

Plus you can take a few hours roadtrip in every direction and see good stuff, up to seattle, down to san francisco, east to, well idaho

I really like trader joe's too, but portland has so many farmer's markets, I would rather shop those.

bad thing, price of living is higher.

i thought there is no sales tax in OR or was it no state income tax?

I thought the weather was really nice every time I go, It's grey to look at, but isn't it great to feeling cool all the time and not so humid.

Nice walkable downtown, and many nature and outdoor hiking areas so near downtown.

Lots of ppl biking all over I remember.

great outdoors, nature in very direction, including the pacific ocean that is much better to look at than the gulf coast.

Plus you can take a few hours roadtrip in every direction and see good stuff, up to seattle, down to san francisco, east to, well idaho

I really like trader joe's too, but portland has so many farmer's markets, I would rather shop those.

bad thing, price of living is higher.

There is no sales tax, but there is a state income tax, and if you live in Multnomah county there is also a county income tax..(although that might be expiring soon)

It is very humid and damp here most of the year, and lotsa gray... if you have to live here that gets old really quick.. . about the 3rd month of no sunshine it really starts to wear on you. Like today, it is irritating drizzle and chilly -> Ahhhhh Spring :rolleyes:

I do agree there are nice places to walk, but like any place you have to be careful where you walk and the time of day it is. This is especially true downtown, and in some of the other areas of town (NE and SE). I know when I am walking back from school (OHSU on the hill) to work (downtown next to pioneer square) I only take the trails back if it is during the day. You have to be careful on the park trails because of 'campers'. They have a really big homeless population here and while some folks just hit hard times; there are others who aggresively beg for change especially in the downtown area. (they are mostly the folks with the face tattoos)

As for being within driving distance of nice places... you can go to the beach for shopping and looking (water is toooo cold); or up to Hood to go skiing. I do go to Seattle very often because the shopping here in PDX is severely lacking. Next time you visit up here and drive to Seattle make sure you take an Oregonian with you or someone with an Oregon drivers license.... then you do not have to pay sales tax ^_^

The Farmers markets are too rich for my blood... I am a poor student :D

• 2 weeks later...

Sacramento? Underrated? Naw, if U want an underrated city in California, Oakland shoulda been on that list. Seen as the stepchild to San Francisco and San Jose, Oakland has Jack London Square, Downtown, City Center, BART, Rockridge, various restaurants and shopping districts and its natural crown jewel called Lake Merritt. Nobody hears the good things about it on TV because of the negatives about it, which is bullcrap because even though Oakland suffers from being the roughest major city in the West Coast, it is not that bad. Unlike Detroit or Bmore, Oakland also has rich folks living in the city limits, way up in the Hills - while the gutter side is the Flatlands. But the safer parts of the Flatlands include the downtown area and neighborhoods around the Lake and the Auto Row.

Archived