No Hat, No Cattle

MontroseNeighborhoodCafe

I'm so tired of trying to overcome casual visitors commentaries on our weather, our architecture, our pursuits in business and pleasure and our citizens. I have come to believe that their ignorance is based upon jealousy. We have cheap housing, good employment prospects, good schools, many varied entertainment options and world-class venues, great weather and very friendly people. Every place has its' "warts", and it's just human nature to want to delicate flower, I suppose. And I guess what it boils down to is simply this: if you live here and you want to vent, and hopefully work to find solutions, that's fine. But, if you don't live here, but you just cruise through here and offer some throw-down parting insults on your way out of town, you're just shooting from the lip and your opinion really ain't worth squat. I give up trying to overcome visitors objections, just go back where you came from, and leave me to enjoy my pool in 75 degree weather in January!

According to the 2000 US Census, these are the metro areas with over 5 million people...

21,199,865 New York, northern New Jersey, Long Island, southeast Connecticut

16,373,645 Los Angeles, Riverside, Orange County

9,157,540 Chicago, Gary, Kenosha

7,608,070 Washington, Baltimore

7,039,362 San Francsico, Oakland, San Jose

6,188,463 Philadelphia, Wilmington, Atlantic City

5,819,100 Boston, Worcester, Lawrence

5,456,428 Detroit, Ann Arbor

5,221,801 Dallas, Fort Worth

So there are two states with more than one top 10 metro areas - California and New Jersey. Sorry, Texas ain't one of them.

eta I'm not sure which numbers are correct, but Miami is bigger than Houston, so we don't make the top 10.

According to the 2000 US Census, these are the metro areas with over 5 million people...

Its all in the definition of a metro then isnt it.

7,039,362 San Francsico, Oakland, San Jose

I agree if you add San Jose into the San Fran area metro it gets mad bumps considering San Jose is bigger than San Fran. It is 50 miles away though. I used to make that drive.

San Jose and San Francisco are 48 miles apart. That is literally the EXACT same distance between Houston and Galveston!

The main difference comes in the fact that inbetween San Jose and San Fran, you will find South San Fran, Daly City, Hillsborough, San Mateo, Redwood City, Palo Alto, Santa Clara, San Leandro, Sunnyvale and a whole lot of other towns that are much more densely developed than the areas between Houston and Galveston!

Archived