Forest Hill Neighborhood Real Estate

Guest danax

• 1 year later...

1766 Pasadena Avenue

I was told by the last owning relative that the house and accompanying 100 acres were a gift to the retiring President of Northern and Southern Pacific railroad in 1911. The Houston attorney was born in San Jacinto, Texas and was named Robert Lovett. He imagined the development as the new River Oaks with the Wortham Golf Course adjacent. He married into the Abercrombie family and moved on... see Wikipedia for more on him...

The flood plain areas were developed into the cemetery and Soldier's Rest sits at the peak and bend of Brays Bayou. The site is final home to many of our bravest from the 1920's.

The Great Depression redesigned the 1 acre tracts to smaller homesteads and created garden yards that are 175-200 ft depth for growing victory gardens popular in the wars.

I toured the home from basement to attic and the bevel leaded glass dome over the mahogany staircase sits under the skylight. If I ever get the funding, I will restore it... It deserves it... Truly majestic...

• Like 1

• 6 years later...
On 4/11/2009 at 10:03 PM, Dan the Man said:

Eh, it's not that bad... I think Forest Hill's biggest negative is the mishmash of architectural styles & construction quality in the housing stock. Some of the houses are complete tear-downs, while others are very nice. Yeah, it's not Idylwood, but you can get a much larger yard in Forest Hill. Plus, you don't have to worry about flooding from the bayou.

How is the neighborhood now, in 2022? I love the wide and elevated streets but I am concerned about safety. Can anyone tell me if it’s a quiet neighborhood?

the lots are still large.

Forest Hill Blvd has a bridge over Brays Bayou, which offers great accessibility for people living in the neighborhood to get over to Harrisburg area, but it also offers great access for everyone else too. I think some of that will go away when the 75th street bridge is finished being rebuilt.

I was in the market earlier this year and I spent a few weekend mornings driving through this neighborhood to get a feel for it. if I had found the right house, I'd have had no problem moving into the neighborhood.

don't take my word for it though, if you have the capability, drive through the neighborhood, drive around some of the surrounding areas, do so at random times.

• Thanks 1

• The title was changed to Forest Hill Neighborhood Real Estate