County Growth for Large Texas Counties 2006

WesternGulf

I only did counties with only half of a million people or more.

Bexar: +39,006 (2.6% growth)

Collin: +37925 (5.7% growth)

Dallas: +37,288 (1.6% growth)

Denton: + 29,244 (5.3% growth)

El Paso: +15,127 (2.1% growth)

Harris: +123,363 (3.3% growth)

Hidalgo: +21,982 (3.2% growth)

Tarrant: +51,629 (3.2% growth)

Travis: +31,464 (3.5% growth)

Source: http://www.census.gov/popest/counties/tabl...T2006-01-48.xls

Yeah I did my #'s wrong. I was looking at the first column for all of them when dealing with percentage growth. I'll do them later. With that said, you could probably add .1-.2 points to each of them.

edit: percentages corrected in original post.

I'm surprised that with the growth in Pearland that Brazoria isn't higher. Frankly, I thought Galveston County would have been a little higher, too.

Galveston is a relatively small county. It has a lot of high-profile stuff going on, but it is only connected to Houston by a single freeway and is just smaller. Brazoria is a big county, but the northern part of it is narrower and is also only served by a single freeway; the southern part is pretty stagnant.

In contrast, Fort Bend and Montgomery have a lot more land area in closer proximity to Houston and are each served by two freeways.

I knew Harris County was high on the list. Dallas County suprised me, i would have thought it to be a little high in number.

Dallas County is a small county that is almost completely urbanized. You shouldn't expect a lot of population growth from them because they just don't have many greenfield sites that can accomodate vast tracts of single-family homes. Harris County, in contrast, is a huge area and has plenty of open lands to the northwest, north, northeast, and east.

You are correct if they subscibe to building out and not up. If they built up more then i think it may change. I personally like the wide open spaces and trees myself. ;) ;)

Even if they build up, it usually means demolishing something that was there. You have to take one step back to take two steps forward. Also, with new development in urban areas, prices are high enough that anyone that can afford to buy new product there can afford to locate just about anywhere in the metro area, so the capture rate of financially qualified households is lower...and you are a good case in point.

Economics play a part, too. There's room in southern Dallas County but the school districts there and the general economy of the area make it a tough sell at the moment to new home developers (who, I suppose, presume to have a tough sell on their hands when it comes to new home buyers looking for "better" living conditions). The northern part of the county grew from the vibrant shadows of northern Dallas, and that growth has now extended up into Collin and Denton counties.

This is the very reason i thought it would be a bit higher on the list. Lots of people jammed into an urban setting in mid-highrise buildings and apartments.

Except that that is a myth. There aren't that many highrises, in Dallas. Just as there aren't that many in Houston. Both counties have about the same density, about 3,500 per square mile.

Economics play a part, too. There's room in southern Dallas County but the school districts there and the general economy of the area make it a tough sell at the moment to new home developers (who, I suppose, presume to have a tough sell on their hands when it comes to new home buyers looking for "better" living conditions). The northern part of the county grew from the vibrant shadows of northern Dallas, and that growth has now extended up into Collin and Denton counties.

That may change now that:

A. WHISD is dead. The land is now in the hands of DISD.

B. The Union-Pacific Intermodal Terminal opened in Wilmer and Hutchins.

Except that that is a myth. There aren't that many highrises, in Dallas. Just as there aren't that many in Houston. Both counties have about the same density, about 3,500 per square mile.

Your thinking of the city density. Harris County's density is around 2200 ppsm while Dallas' has around 2800 ppsm. That said, Harris does have around 1,000 more square miles than Dallas'.

Your thinking of the city density. Harris County's density is around 2200 ppsm while Dallas' has around 2800 ppsm. That said, Harris does have around 1,000 more square miles than Dallas'.

My bad. That's what I get for posting before researching.

However, your numbers show even less density than I posted, even though Dallas County on the whole is more dense than Harris County. The point remains that, while we love to post pictures and talk about highrise condos going up in both cities, they are a tiny fraction of total population. Most of both counties are single family residential.

As if on cue, Tory Gattis put up a couple of charts showing the amount of high density construction in various cities.

http://houstonstrategies.blogspot.com/

Contrary to conventional wisdom, Houston is building far more multi-unit residences than Dallas. In fact, it is triple the number. He points out that the high dollar meaga-projects like Victory get all of the press coverage, but Houston developers are quietly building at a far greater pace.

As if on cue, Tory Gattis put up a couple of charts showing the amount of high density construction in various cities.

http://houstonstrategies.blogspot.com/

Contrary to conventional wisdom, Houston is building far more multi-unit residences than Dallas. In fact, it is triple the number. He points out that the high dollar meaga-projects like Victory get all of the press coverage, but Houston developers are quietly building at a far greater pace.

Houston City Limits- 601 square miles

Dallas City Limits- 385 square miles

For me, the above facts makes the difference in his blog. A development in Clear Lake as well as one near Willowbrook Mall could be counted as the city of Houston. If he compared metro's and Houston was still building at a greater pace, not to mention Houston's Victory styled projects are JUST NOW getting off of the ground, I would then be impressed.

For me, the above facts makes the difference in his blog. A development in Clear Lake as well as one near Willowbrook Mall could be counted as the city of Houston. If he compared metro's and Houston was still building at a greater pace, not to mention Houston's Victory styled projects are JUST NOW getting off of the ground, I would then be impressed.

Yeah, his approach is dubious for reasons that you point out, but on the other hand he should be commended for recognizing that the heart of the issue is municipal policy and for making the appropriate comparison. It isn't perfect, but where this matter is concerned what even approximates perfect that wouldn't require hundreds of man-hours?

Well, all you have to do is divide the units per square mile, if land area means so much. Dividing houston units by 601 equals 16 units per square mile. Dallas gets you 8.9 units per square mile....still nearly double.

As for adding in Victory, they are only building about 600 to 800 units. W, House and Terrace have already started. Feel free to add 300 or 400 more to Dallas' total, and it is still half of the Houston total.

While Niche is right that a true comparison would be too time consuming, Tory's point that the high publicity mega projects skew public perception that Houston is doing little while Dallas is going crazy (which is what you are suggesting), is spot on. There is far more going on in Houston than you realize or admit.

Well, all you have to do is divide the units per square mile, if land area means so much. Dividing houston units by 601 equals 16 units per square mile. Dallas gets you 8.9 units per square mile....still nearly double.

Damn it Red, I was going to say the same thing and you beat me to it.

Either way you look at it Houston is outbuilding our cousin to the North, and doing it very quietly.

As for adding in Victory, they are only building about 600 to 800 units. W, House and Terrace have already started. Feel free to add 300 or 400 more to Dallas' total, and it is still half of the Houston total.

While Niche is right that a true comparison would be too time consuming, Tory's point that the high publicity mega projects skew public perception that Houston is doing little while Dallas is going crazy (which is what you are suggesting), is spot on. There is far more going on in Houston than you realize or admit.

Well, I didn't recall expressing wonderment of how to average units but thanks for showing me how (I regret missing all of those primary school days), but that was not why I posted the square mileage of each city. My point was, compairing to the two based upon city limits is pointless to me considering the obvious differences in city limit size (that is why I posted the square mileage of each city). But then, I am coming from the perspective of being in Arlington and still considering myself in Dallas, just as being in Bellaire I still consider myself being in Houston, though technically they are different places.

In cases such as Dallas/ Ft. Worth, and Houston/Galveston, the Metro areas are the TRUE indicators as Niche acknowledged, but as it was mentioned that would be too time consuming. With that, I DO wonder if Houston would still be on top.

With regard to "hype" and the Victory Development, while I understand Torey's point, I also believe a factor in why Victory as well as Atlantic Station in Atlanta in particular, appeared to get so much publicity while Houston's seem to practically get none is those type of Developments in Houston are JUST NOW getting off of the ground. While BLVD Place and Pavillions were still being drawn up, Victory and Atlantic were under construction or almost finished. He may have a point with other projects, but with regard to Victory, I believe there is more to it's "hype" than lack of affordable units due to Dallas having zoning. "W" and "Mandarin" alone were legitimate reasons for the hype of Victory.

Archived