METRO West Belt Park And Ride

According to an old METRO Transit map from 03/04 it showed West Belt Park & Ride (around I-10 and BW8) with Route 210 serving it. Then in 05 it didn't show the P&R nor the 210 on the map. I presume the P&R closed and the route 210 discontinued; and I think the Katy Freeway overhaul had somethin to do with the inability to access it -- especially since there wasn't no HOV T-intersection leading to it. Is the closed down P&R still there, or was something else built on that peice of land if anybody knows? And when exactly did it close? Just curious

Edited by DaTrain

METRO discontinued the 210 and closed the West Belt lot in mid-2004. The park and ride was the least-utilized in METRO's system, and the 210's ridership was abysmal.

Part of the reason the facility was unpopular is as you mention: its only access was from the southbound Sam Houston Tollway frontage road, which made it inconvenient for commuters to get to. There was no T-ramp from this facility to the Katy HOV lane, and the buses had to make a long, slow and circuitous trek to get to and from the lot.

I understand that when the lot originally opened in the early 80s it was actually well used. However, as the Sam Houston Tollway mainlanes were built which made northbound access to the lot difficult and as newer park and ride facilities further out west (Addicks, Kingsland)came online, the West Belt fell into relative disuse.

After closing the lot, METRO declared it surplus property and put it up for sale.

Edited by The Voice of University Oaks

• The title was changed to METRO West Belt Park And Ride