When I flush the toilet a line under the kitchen sink starts to vibrate. The line under the kitchen sink branches off a plastic T from the cold water cut off to a water filter I installed. The toilet then fills very slowly as if it can't get a water flow because of what seems like a vacuum in the cold water pipe. This started maybe a few weeks ago but I've had the water filter installed for at least five months before this issue came up. Any ideas as to how to fix would be appreciated. It should be simple but I just can't seem to figure out what it is. Thanks

for the vibration, try opening/closing the shutoff valve for the kitchen sink. one time i had to replace toilet guts. i turned the shutoff valve off, replaced the guts, and then turned it back on. when i flushed the toilet, all of a sudden a loud vibration noise came from the toilet. all i did was open the shutoff valve more and all was ok afterwards. not sure if that's your prob, but at least it may be a cheap fix.

do you have the original galvanized pipes in the rest of the house? sometimes the rust sediment slows down water flow. also there are toilet guts that are designed to slow/stop the water flow should it determine a water leak is happening. i know a friend just replaced the toilet guts because he couldn't figure out why the toilets took so long to fill (even though the mechanisms were less that 6 months old). i believe he ended up using a different type of mechanism inside and that corrected the slow fill problem.

Edited by musicman

for the vibration, try opening/closing the shutoff valve for the kitchen sink. one time i had to replace toilet guts. i turned the shutoff valve off, replaced the guts, and then turned it back on. when i flushed the toilet, all of a sudden a loud vibration noise came from the toilet. all i did was open the shutoff valve more and all was ok afterwards. not sure if that's your prob, but at least it may be a cheap fix.

do you have the original galvanized pipes in the rest of the house? sometimes the rust sediment slows down water flow. also there are toilet guts that are designed to slow/stop the water flow should it determine a water leak is happening. i know a friend just replaced the toilet guts because he couldn't figure out why the toilets took so long to fill (even though the mechanisms were less that 6 months old). i believe he ended up using a different type of mechanism inside and that corrected the slow fill problem.

Thanks for the help.

I worked with it a little last night and it's doing better. I'll work on it more this weekend when I have more time.

Thanks for the help.

I worked with it a little last night and it's doing better. I'll work on it more this weekend when I have more time.

i have to clarify my previous post, i talked to my friend last night about the toilet filling problem. he said that some newer hoses have flow regulatorsin the event there is a big toilet leak it will stop the flow. that is what he was having problems with, not the guts of the toilet.

When I flush the toilet a line under the kitchen sink starts to vibrate. The line under the kitchen sink branches off a plastic T from the cold water cut off to a water filter I installed. The toilet then fills very slowly as if it can't get a water flow because of what seems like a vacuum in the cold water pipe. This started maybe a few weeks ago but I've had the water filter installed for at least five months before this issue came up. Any ideas as to how to fix would be appreciated. It should be simple but I just can't seem to figure out what it is. Thanks

I really have no solution to this, but I will comment that sometimes it can repair itself. I had a horrible vibraation in the pipes coming from the downstairs toilet for a solid 2 years, and just never got around to fixing it. This past year, it completely stopped. I do not have any leaks either. You never know with homes, especially with old ones.

If you haven't replaced the flow valve in the tank in awhile, it is worth the $6 to do it, even if it does not completely cure the problem. While replacing some old galvanized pipe with copper, my plumber reversed the water flow to my bathroom. Like musicman said, the reversed flow caused sediment and rust to clog the flow valve. You'd be amazed how little sediment it takes. You'd also be amazed at how much sediment is in your old pipes. My flow valve was so clogged, it took over 30 minutes to fill the tank. A new Flowmaster valve has it working like new.