Granite Countertop Cracked

I just moved into a home that was built in 1968 but underwent an extensive remodel before sale. The previous owner bought the house, added on, remodelled the interior, and sold it without living in the property (flipped it?).

I understand that living in the house a short while will reveal flaws you couldn't have noticed during the purchase period, but I'm starting to worry about several cases of what appear to be poor workmanship. And now as the icing on the cake, a crack appeared in the granite countertop in the kitchen! The crack runs from the sink to the front edge (the shortest distance for a crack to appear on the slab).

Is there anything I can do? I've read conflicting reports on the internet, but it seems that a crack like this is pretty unlikely. Is it an indicator of a more serious issue?

I just moved into a home that was built in 1968 but underwent an extensive remodel before sale. The previous owner bought the house, added on, remodelled the interior, and sold it without living in the property (flipped it?).

I understand that living in the house a short while will reveal flaws you couldn't have noticed during the purchase period, but I'm starting to worry about several cases of what appear to be poor workmanship. And now as the icing on the cake, a crack appeared in the granite countertop in the kitchen! The crack runs from the sink to the front edge (the shortest distance for a crack to appear on the slab).

Is there anything I can do? I've read conflicting reports on the internet, but it seems that a crack like this is pretty unlikely. Is it an indicator of a more serious issue?

is it really a crack though. many times the installers join two slabs of granite together with seams and to minimize their length, the put them where the sink/stove is. but usually they would do a fairly good job in making it fairly obscure.

as for poor workmanship, i think that is actually quite common as is the use of cheap materials. i think using mdf as a baseboards or window trim should be a crime!

Unless the counter top is so uneven as to put a pressure point on the granite, I don't think it is a more serious problem. Granite just lays there...nothing complicated about it. More likely is that it was damaged in transit or during installation, and they repaired it on site, rather than incur the expense of cutting a new slab.

No, there is a nice straight seam a foot or two away that is much more difficult to see. This is rough and uneven, definately a crack.

sounds like a crack then. you don't really have many options. but i think if it concerns you that slab of granite will have to be removed and replaced. like red said they basically just set them down on top of your cabinets. sometimes you can get a bullnosed edge which gives them a little more support on the edge, but there is an increased cost as a result. my parents (and brother) did that which doubles the thickness at the edge only. i'm the only poor one in the family with formica.

Edited by musicman