Senator Nichols explains the Trans-Texas Corridor

Very interesting article. One particular statement caught my eye:

Few Texans realize that current state fuel taxes do not cover the cost of maintaining current roads, much less to build new roads.

Funny how many anti-public transit people will claim the exact opposite.

Few Texans realize that current state fuel taxes do not cover the cost of maintaining current roads, much less to build new roads.

I think his point was that current fuel taxes are insufficient to properly maintain current roads, much less to build new roads, not that they are supplementing the fuel taxes with other funds.

I think his point was that current fuel taxes are insufficient to properly maintain current roads, much less to build new roads, not that they are supplementing the fuel taxes with other funds.

If "current state fuel taxes do not cover the cost of maintaining current roads" (let alone properly), then something else must. The implication seems clear to me.

If he meant "will not", then Senator Nichols misspoke.

Yes, and there are two solutions to that problem, preferably implemented together:

1. Raise the fuel tax

2. Toll existing roads

The "true mobility" folks would scream about that, as they are wont to do, about freedom and the whatnot. Guess what true freedom is? For people to pay according to however much they drive. I am fed up with paying more for roads that I use less, and many others would agree if they actually know something about that.