Alberts

EastEnd Susan

Does anyone recall a tiny neighborhood store called Alberts? It was located on Polk not far from downtown back in the 60's. It looked like it used to be a home at some point. It was owned by a little guy named Albert..I think he was german. His store had all the toilet paper stacked up in a large window. He had a small place in back where he would cut steaks or whatever cut of meat you wanted right from a big side of beef. Talk about fresh! After the 70's you had to knock on the door to be let in as he had been robbed and beat up a few times. He was a nice little man with a nice little store and closed the doors in 1972. I heard he passed away not too long after he closed the store.

Does anyone recall a tiny neighborhood store called Alberts? It was located on Polk not far from downtown back in the 60's. It looked like it used to be a home at some point. It was owned by a little guy named Albert..I think he was german. His store had all the toilet paper stacked up in a large window. He had a small place in back where he would cut steaks or whatever cut of meat you wanted right from a big side of beef. Talk about fresh! After the 70's you had to knock on the door to be let in as he had been robbed and beat up a few times. He was a nice little man with a nice little store and closed the doors in 1972. I heard he passed away not too long after he closed the store.

Was "Albert's" part of "Albertson's" like "K-Mart" was part of "Kresge" and "Woolco" was part of "Woolworth"?

Was "Albert's" part of "Albertson's" like "K-Mart" was part of "Kresge" and "Woolco" was part of "Woolworth"?

The little german mans name was Albert. I'm sure he wasnt part of any big food chain. I dont think Albertsons was even a glimmer in someones eye back in the 60's... This store was at some point a tiny house. It was somewhere on Polk between Milby st. and Dowling.

The little german mans name was Albert. I'm sure he wasnt part of any big food chain. I dont think Albertsons was even a glimmer in someones eye back in the 60's... This store was at some point a tiny house. It was somewhere on Polk between Milby st. and Dowling.

It sounds like Alberts was a true "mom & pop" operation.

Poor guy, and I really miss the intimate business's we used to have then. There were actually quite a few German families sprinkled throughout this area like the Italiano's. Our neighbor across the street (Munger) was The Engbrock's and his brothers and mom owned several business's and properties around near East End and Houston. Pat's little grocery still (I think) on Dumble/Walker is still running, woah! One of the other Engbrock brother's still runs his bar and grocery over on Park Place/Old Galveston (next to RR Tracks). There was a man named Wolfgang that ran a busy Auto Shop here on Munger/Dumble for many years he would tell me of his trips back to "the old country" Stuttgardt was his home I think. Sadly he passed away a few years ago.

I think I will start a seperate thread on our Italian families here. Buona sera! :)

Poor guy, and I really miss the intimate business's we used to have then. There were actually quite a few German families sprinkled throughout this area like the Italiano's. Our neighbor across the street (Munger) was The Engbrock's and his brothers and mom owned several business's and properties around near East End and Houston. Pat's little grocery still (I think) on Dumble/Walker is still running, woah! One of the other Engbrock brother's still runs his bar and grocery over on Park Place/Old Galveston (next to RR Tracks). There was a man named Wolfgang that ran a busy Auto Shop here on Munger/Dumble for many years he would tell me of his trips back to "the old country" Stuttgardt was his home I think. Sadly he passed away a few years ago.

I think I will start a seperate thread on our Italian families here. Buona sera! :)

Let me know where that thread is when you start it. My last name is Italian, but I never have liked it.

Sadly, East End Susan, places like your Albert's and Dot's Coffee Shop belong to another time and place. Like drive-in theatres, they become pleasant memories.

Sadly, East End Susan, places like your Albert's and Dot's Coffee Shop belong to another time and place. Like drive-in theatres, they become pleasant memories.

Yes Northbeaumont, very sad but true. And every time I think of Alberts or Dot Coffee Shop or the Telephone Drive In I smile. ...No no.. they can't take that away from me.

Yes Northbeaumont, very sad but true. And every time I think of Alberts or Dot Coffee Shop or the Telephone Drive In I smile. ...No no.. they can't take that away from me.

The way that everything nowadays is hurry hurry hurry and impersonal, I very seldom eat out. I keep plenty of food in my cabinets.

Archived