I have a 10 year old Maytag Performa W&D set. Last week I noticed that the clothes are not drying. The drum moves, the heat is there, but I fear the fan (or belt) is broken or worse, the bearings are blown completely as the dryer makes a helluva racket upon startup (then stops once going).

I need a good, reliable repairman, affordable though--Church Services and ARS want $50 right off the top and God only knows how much they will charge me for labor and parts.

Of course if anyone knows how to do this, and it seems to be relatively easy, I'd be happy to bake you an Apricot Nectar Cake in exchange for your expertise. :D

TIA!

I have a 10 year old Maytag Performa W&D set. Last week I noticed that the clothes are not drying. The drum moves, the heat is there, but I fear the fan (or belt) is broken or worse, the bearings are blown completely as the dryer makes a helluva racket upon startup (then stops once going).

You can check to see if the blower is working by seeing if you're getting any airflow at your outside dryer vent. It could also just be that a bunch of lint has accumulated in the line somewhere and is blocking airflow...although I'm not satisfied that a dead blower or blocked line would explain the noise.

Mr. McElroy used to have an appliace shop off of Canal or Navigation, I can't remember which. Anyway, when he did, my mother purchased 2 sets of Maytag W/D from him and I purchased mine from him as well. He has since closed his retail business, but I think he still does maintenance work and works out of his house. The number I found for him on the net is (713) 921-2161. He's an older gentleman, and may not be the cheapest around, but he is as honest as the day is long and is very reliable.

Check out:

1st Source

They have appliance parts and very knowledgeable (ex-techs, most of them) sales people. There are very detailed books about washer/dryer repair available there. My wife bought one of those books and with standard tools and a little help from me for heavy stuff she has been able to replace belts, rollers, repack bearings, etc. If you have even a little mechanical aptitude you can really save yourself big bucks by fixing what you can. The mechanical guts of a dryer are bone simple. Just remember 1. to unplug it when you're working on it, and 2. the metal edges on the inside are really sharp.

marmer

Guest Marty

10 years is a good life span but it's time to buy a new one. I would not waste your money trying to get it repaired because you will be back at the appliance shop once again because something else broke. It seemed that once one component breaks down everything else usely follow's.

Guest Marty
If we buy new, we are waiting until we move. I'd rather fix the dryer and have it as an asset to sell with our condo.

You say asset to your condo i would be worried about it shorting out and ruining your investment. i'm just telling you what i would do ;):)

I need a good, reliable repairman, affordable though--Church Services and ARS want $50 right off the top and God only knows how much they will charge me for labor and parts.

Of course if anyone knows how to do this, and it seems to be relatively easy, I'd be happy to bake you an Apricot Nectar Cake in exchange for your expertise. :D

TIA!

If you have a way to transport it, you could take it to Rudy's Appliances at 5818 Fairdale.

His number is 713-781-6071.

I have bought several used washers and dryers from him for use in my rental property, as well as used him for repairs. i have found him to be very reliable and reasonable on his prices.

he does not make service calls, but he will do repairs if you bring the unit to him.

You say asset to your condo i would be worried about it shorting out and ruining your investment. i'm just telling you what i would do ;):)

I'm not sure I understand this comment, but either way, we are offering a home warranty in our sale, so if it happens to break after we sell the condo, it will be covered.

BTW thanks Spiderman, I appreciate the tip.

If you have a way to transport it, you could take it to Rudy's Appliances at 5818 Fairdale.

His number is 713-781-6071.

I have bought several used washers and dryers from him for use in my rental property, as well as used him for repairs. i have found him to be very reliable and reasonable on his prices.

he does not make service calls, but he will do repairs if you bring the unit to him.

Parrothead, I hope you dont mind if I toss this in. I have a refrigerator (Kenmore) that is only about 5 years old that I will give dirt cheap or maybe free? I found another frig that I like better so I have no use for this one. Its just in my way.

The only thing is the frig part doesnt cool so well, but this could be due to my wiring in this older home. The freezer part is excellent. In case you need? Any takers? :)

Archived