St. Patrick's Day in the Heights

tmariar

From the Houston Press' list of St. Patrick's Day events:

6th Street and Studemont in the Heights
Teetotalers founded the Heights, but times are a-changin'. The corner of 6th Street and Studemont is quickly becoming a place to party, and they're out to prove it this drinking season. Fitzgerald's, 6th Street Bar & Grill, Beer Island, Jimmy's Icehouse, Heights Sports Bar and Onion Creek will have live music, drink specials and no cover all night. Take a cab and walk from bar to bar. Maybe you'll get lucky and find a nice lassie to take home.

I'm happy to see the businesses in the area coordinating on something like this. I don't know if there is any stretch of White Oak that could ever be temporarily closed off to vehicular traffic, as is done in Woodland Heights for Lights in the Heights, without impacting other businesses on White Oak. (You probably couldn't close the street all the way to Onion Creek on the Heights side - but maybe just the parts of White Oak just on either side of Studemont, with a crossing guard to help pedestrians cross the street.) If there were, it wouldn't be such a bad spot for a street festival. I don't think the event above involves a street closure - it just got me thinking.

(Update) I don't know why they call it "6th Street and Studemont", though, when neither is correct. The street signs north of the bayou all say Studewood. And even if White Oak is where 6th Street would be, there are no 6th Street signs anywhere in the area. It probably won't confuse that many people who are likely to show, especially now that the 6th St. Grill is there, but it still seems a little funny to call an event sponsored by businesses around the White Oak/Studewood intersection a 6th Street/Studemont event.

I will probably be at Griff's over off of Montrose. That joint for St. patty's Day never gets old.

Yeah, I had loads of fun there one year competing in the Irish Stew contest. Those of my friends I can't talk into trying out the Heights event will be there or Kenneally's. I recall the Harp being fun one year, as well. Nice to have St. Patrick's Day on a Saturday this year.

Yeah, I had loads of fun there one year competing in the Irish Stew contest. Those of my friends I can't talk into trying out the Heights event will be there or Kenneally's. I recall the Harp being fun one year, as well. Nice to have St. Patrick's Day on a Saturday this year.

I only compete in the "Irish Beer Drinking" contest. I usually place in the top three. Then on the way home I pass out into my Irish Stew. ;)

I only compete in the "Irish Beer Drinking" contest. I usually place in the top three. Then on the way home I pass out into my Irish Stew. ;)

Maybe someone could place this cool event in Community Events so everyone will be aware???

I always wanted to go but most of my old East End crowd has fled for the burbs! I'd like to try some Irish stew! Save us some green brew too we might see some leprechans after a while!

I'll bring all of the sisters from the convent with me to sample!

Guest Marty

Is this a timed advent and how many do you drink in the time period. So i know were i stand. Personally i like to take my time drinking and catch the cab home.

Archived