Open Air Markets In The Heights

For those that either live in or are familiar with The Heights; I would like to know if there are any spots in this area where a person can set up and sell arts and crafts? Something like a flea market or community center that lets one set up and sell projects. The kind of things you might see at a festival or bazaar type setting.

I recreate clocks with a French Gothic/Victorian-revival theme. All are done from original renderings & patterns with very detailed gingerbread & religious type ornamentation. I think anyone with a sincere passion for this type of art may be interested especially if you have a home with the same details. Basically, these items would be an ideal match for your interiors. Not to toot my own horn but these items make great conversation pieces and would blend in perfectly with a home of historical significance. I would be very appreciative of any feedback or parties you know of that may be interested. These are really rare beauties that deserve a nice cozy setting. Some have chimes and some can either hang or sit on mantles. Wish I could place a photo but just imagine a cathedral or basilica with a clock. They are of different wood veneers, etc. Ok they look like this!

http://www.instantdurable.com/ID_Maquettes/religieux/reims.gif

For those that either live in or are familiar with The Heights; I would like to know if there are any spots in this area where a person can set up and sell arts and crafts? Something like a flea market or community center that lets one set up and sell projects. The kind of things you might see at a festival or bazaar type setting.

i believe they have one the first saturday of each month but there is a fee to be there.

yale street market.

I've never gone, but there is a monthly "Yale Street Arts Market" every first Saturday. (Per musicman's reply, which I see now.) Other than that, the only things I can think of that come close to what you describe are (1) the booths for rent at many of the antique stores on 19th Street, which may be restricted to antique dealers, and (2) once-a-year markets like the Dickens in the Heights Holiday Market. The weekly farmer's market is, I'm guessing, restricted mostly to produce.

Edited by tmariar

Thanks all for the tips. I don't mind a fee as most places ask for one. Maybe I could try area churches or Catholic Schools? I wanted to focus on The Heights because the place is known for historic homes/business's not to say other neighborhoods wouldnt appreciate. Pasadena has several markets but again Heights folks may see it in a different light. Maybe because I am mad about turn of the century stuff I guess.

When I see the word "salvage" warehouse it's like saying GOLD to me! I have found many relics (cheap) dating to late 1800's and items that survived Galveston storm of 1900 where original owners just tossed out! A whole other thread I guess.

I will try the Yale Street Arts Market, molto grazie or many thanks!

I recall an art market a few months back set up in the parking lot of the Sons of Herman place between Heights and Yale. I was out of town the day of the event but recall they had some well put together flyers for the event.

Anyone have any more details? Will there be a repeat?

On two separate occasions in the last year I've driven by there and seen a huge open-air market in the Sons of Herman parking lot. I've always been surprised as I've never heard any advance advertising for it. Both times it seemed very well attended.

On two separate occasions in the last year I've driven by there and seen a huge open-air market in the Sons of Herman parking lot. I've always been surprised as I've never heard any advance advertising for it.

Not that it matters but is Son's of Herman a church or what? I want to call them but if you could divulge more, please,, please, please, please, please (like kitty in Stewart Little). :)

Not that it matters but is Son's of Herman a church or what? I want to call them but if you could divulge more, please,, please, please, please, please (like kitty in Stewart Little). :)

The Sons of Hermann is a fraternal benefit society. They have a local lodge at 120 Yale. I don't know much more that, though, sorry.

Edited by tmariar

• The title was changed to Any Open Air Markets
  • The title was changed to Open Air Markets In The Heights