Northwest And Southwest Quadrants Of Outer Loop

kzseattle

I have never been to the area north of I-10, between Beltway 8, I-45 and west loop. I am referring to Spring Branch, Oak Forest, Acres Homes areas. How would you describe these areas? Are these typical family-oriented suburban neighborhoods or gethos/slums? Also, what about the areas just inside southwest corner of Beltway-8? I mean Foundren and Westbury areas.

If I am looking for a house, with a family, should I even venture into these areas?

You can also go here:

Houston Super Neighborhoods Map

I used this EXTENSIVELY when I first moved here, and still use it today when making quick comparisons. Click on any neighborhood, and it will tell you EVERYTHING you want to know. You can use this info to narrow down which neighborhoods suit your taste & price range.

As for the the areas WEST of 290 and NORTH of I-10, that is EAST of Beltway 8, sorry I'm not too familiar with that area. I can only recommend 2 neighborhoods there: Sping Shadows & Spring Valley.

Glen

Thanks! This info is very useful. I used to think that all the bad neighborhoods and ghettos are in East Houston, that is, east of I-45 north of downtown and east of 288 south of downtown, inside inner loop and just around it. However, now I know of some gettos on the west side as well. I already knew about Gulfton, Sharpstown, Westwood and Alief areas in the southwest. Now you have pointed out Acres homes and Inwood in the northwest.

Looking at the map of super neighborhoods, and from what I have seen or learned, it seems that roughly half of Houston is pretty nice and about half is pretty bad. Kind of like Washington DC. The southwest quadrant (where Capitol Hill is) and parts of northwest quadrant are nice. However, east side is mostly bad.

Thanks! This info is very useful. I used to think that all the bad neighborhoods and ghettos are in East Houston, that is, east of I-45 north of downtown and east of 288 south of downtown, inside inner loop and just around it..

I live inside the loop on the East End. It's family oriented, older houses from 1900-1950 from between 70K to 250K and the living is good, in my opinion. It's 90% hispanic but I think the crime is low relative to many other parts of town. Most kids in my neighborhood have both a Mom and a Dad, I've observed. There are some decent neighborhoods here and it seems to be on the upswing. I think it's assumed that it's ghetto out here but I was surprised when I looked for a house and you might be too.

There is a difference between the "East End" and "East Side"?

Don't you think?

Yes, East Side as in East DC, but East Houston as in East End. Is there a East Side Houston versus East End Houston? Maybe there is, I don't know.

I live inside the loop on the East End. It's family oriented, older houses from 1900-1950 from between 70K to 250K and the living is good, in my opinion. It's 90% hispanic but I think the crime is low relative to many other parts of town. Most kids in my neighborhood have both a Mom and a Dad, I've observed. There are some decent neighborhoods here and it seems to be on the upswing. I think it's assumed that it's ghetto out here but I was surprised when I looked for a house and you might be too.

I think a similar thing could be said of Sharpstown. Houses mostly in the $120's, and a high Hispanic population. The areas around the major streets are relatively ghetto, lined with apartments and some used car lots. But in the neighborhood it is relatively nice, and from my perspective a pretty low crime rate. The worst thing that has happened to me in the past nine years is someone stole a pumpkin that was in the yard, and they smashed it in the street lol.

While I don't question that massive apartment complexes and other dilapidated structures are bad places for crime. Those are also the most densely populated areas of Houston, so it stands to reason that more EMS's are needed where there are more people.

• 1 year later...

Can you name a couple of neighborhoods on the East end. I am currently looking for a house but want to be in or close to the loop.

Can you name a couple of neighborhoods on the East end. I am currently looking for a house but want to be in or close to the loop.

I would go to HAR website and search in zip code 77023 for starters. A lot of depression era homes, brick cottages and woodframes, under $150K or so. This will give you an introduction into a lot of East End neighborhoods that are currently respectable and getting better. I would also recommend you get with a knowledgeable real estate agent, like rps324, for example ;) (see post below). Seriously, he knows the area.

A brief synopsis on neighborhoods out here;

Eastwood; Nice old homes, many "large", a smaller version of the Heights. 120-300K.

Magnolia Park: Semi-impoverished but townhomes are starting to infiltrate and there are really some nice old homes in there if you can stand the ugliness. There's a craftsman bungalow from about 1920 on Sherman (technically in Central Park) that they're asking 64K, with a tiny garage conversion in back too. I peered through the windows and I see the original colonade and paneled dining room. If I could, I would snap that one up for myself as a long-term investment. Probably needs work but who cares, the area is coming up and it would go for 300K in the Heights. The realtor doesn't even know what he's selling as it states "year built 1956".....gee whiz, let me sell it for you.

Idlywood: 1930s & 40s bungalows on hilly streets bordered by Brays Bayou au natural. Cloistered location. Nothing fancy but nice and from 150 to 250 I believe.

Forest Hill: Across the bayou from Idylwood. Also with hills, simple 20s-50s homes from 80-200K. Some nice ones in there but the location is the best part. A future teardown spot perhaps.

Broadmoor: Off of Telephone & Lawndale. 1920s bungalows, a lot of brick ones, up and coming neighborhood. 100-175K.

Pecan Park; OK, I live here. Quaint in the heart of the neighborhood but the surroundings are sort of ugly. Smaller (1000-1600 sq ft), depression-era woodframe cottages. 70-120K. I see eventual teardowns in the general area once land value surpasses improvement value as a lot of the homes surrounding the subdivision, while in decent condition, are unattractive.

Convenient location near Gulfgate and freeways.

Houston Country Club Estates: Catty-corner from Idlywood off Wayside. Well kept 1940s homes. 120-180K I think.

Pineview Place: A small 1920s subdivision with a special location. A nice spot for an urban pioneer. Metrorail won't be too far either. 50-100K but hard to find one for sale.

Mason Park: Decent '40s homes, near a great park too. 90-120K.

There are tons of minor subdivisions in between. There are some truly "ugh" areas too. The beauty of the area is that no freeways rip it apart and, with the hills, natural bayous, old homes along with the newer developments that have just started since 2000, it is THE place to be if you can't afford the West End but want the same home for half-price or better and, are willing to live in an area without much interesting retail (thrift shops can be interesting, actually). But, that's not a biggie because you can drive via side streets "across town" (not far at all).

There I went blabbering again about the East End, but my raves are sincere. Bottom line: too good of an area location-wise not to get better fairly quickly as land quickly runs out to the west. Downside; general ugliness, trains everywhere and retail still in a funk. Lots of info in various topics on HAIF too.

I would go to HAR website and search in zip code 77023 for starters. A lot of depression era homes, brick cottages and woodframes, under $150K or so. This will give you an introduction into a lot of East End neighborhoods that are currently respectable and getting better. I would also recommend you get with a knowledgeable real estate agent, like rps324, for example ;) (see post below). Seriously, he knows the area.

A brief synopsis on neighborhoods out here;

Eastwood; Nice old homes, many "large", a smaller version of the Heights. 120-300K.

Magnolia Park: Semi-impoverished but townhomes are starting to infiltrate and there are really some nice old homes in there if you can stand the ugliness. There's a craftsman bungalow from about 1920 on Sherman (technically in Central Park) that they're asking 64K, with a tiny garage conversion in back too. I peered through the windows and I see the original colonade and paneled dining room. If I could, I would snap that one up for myself as a long-term investment. Probably needs work but who cares, the area is coming up and it would go for 300K in the Heights. The realtor doesn't even know what he's selling as it states "year built 1956".....gee whiz, let me sell it for you.

Idlywood: 1930s & 40s bungalows on hilly streets bordered by Brays Bayou au natural. Cloistered location. Nothing fancy but nice and from 150 to 250 I believe.

Forest Hill: Across the bayou from Idylwood. Also with hills, simple 20s-50s homes from 80-200K. Some nice ones in there but the location is the best part. A future teardown spot perhaps.

Broadmoor: Off of Telephone & Lawndale. 1920s bungalows, a lot of brick ones, up and coming neighborhood. 100-175K.

Pecan Park; OK, I live here. Quaint in the heart of the neighborhood but the surroundings are sort of ugly. Smaller (1000-1600 sq ft), depression-era woodframe cottages. 70-120K. I see eventual teardowns in the general area once land value surpasses improvement value as a lot of the homes surrounding the subdivision, while in decent condition, are unattractive.

Convenient location near Gulfgate and freeways.

Houston Country Club Estates: Catty-corner from Idlywood off Wayside. Well kept 1940s homes. 120-180K I think.

Pineview Place: A small 1920s subdivision with a special location. A nice spot for an urban pioneer. Metrorail won't be too far either. 50-100K but hard to find one for sale.

Mason Park: Decent '40s homes, near a great park too. 90-120K.

There are tons of minor subdivisions in between. There are some truly "ugh" areas too. The beauty of the area is that no freeways rip it apart and, with the hills, natural bayous, old homes along with the newer developments that have just started since 2000, it is THE place to be if you can't afford the West End but want the same home for half-price or better and, are willing to live in an area without much interesting retail (thrift shops can be interesting, actually). But, that's not a biggie because you can drive via side streets "across town" (not far at all).

There I went blabbering again about the East End, but my raves are sincere. Bottom line: too good of an area location-wise not to get better fairly quickly as land quickly runs out to the west. Downside; general ugliness, trains everywhere and retail still in a funk. Lots of info in various topics on HAIF too.

Hows the rental market?

Archived