Home Values In Cinco Ranch

Frank

After reading the 'New Subdivision' thread, I was curious as to what the average increase in home values has been in the Cinco area? Are there any useful websites with this info?

HAR.com has a section on subdivision trends. You can input the name of a neighborhood and look at the price/sq. ft through 2005. Some of the larger neighborhoods like Cinco Ranch are separated out into the individual smaller neighborhood names (Cinco Ranch Bayou Oaks, etc.).

• 4 weeks later...
HAR.com has a section on subdivision trends. You can input the name of a neighborhood and look at the price/sq. ft through 2005. Some of the larger neighborhoods like Cinco Ranch are separated out into the individual smaller neighborhood names (Cinco Ranch Bayou Oaks, etc.).

The price per sq ft is tax appraisal value/sq ft, not actual selling price. A $100/sq ft home's tax appraisal value may be $80/sq ft.

HCAD is right on the money in my 'hood. It sucks

Sorry to hear that. :(

When I first came to Katy, I relied on the price/sq foot listed in har.com. It had many of the Cinco subdivisions and other like neighborhoods in the $60 to $75 range. Then I actually started looking at homes and learned that was way off base. I also learned that "from the 170's" in new neighborhoods meant that there was at least one 1800 sq ft floor plan with a base price of $179,900. Lessons learned. And if you are going to buy new in one of these communities, you have to add upgrades - try to sell your house later without upgrades. It can easily add an extra $35,000+ in upgrades.

And if you are going to buy new in one of these communities, you have to add upgrades - try to sell your house later without upgrades. It can easily add an extra $35,000+ in upgrades.

Absolutely. The used house we bought has lots of upgrades - but they put in builder quality carpet and it's still here. Awful stuff. But, the house was cheaper because of the carpet. Since we have big dogs, we knew it wasn't a huge deal to live with for awhile. We've had wood floors put in the living room & dining room already, but we're still undecided about the rest of the house.

• 2 weeks later...

Be ware of the sticker shock after you choose what you want for upgrades. You will be shocked to see the total after your wishes are applied to the house. Typical mark up may range 30 - 40% above retail for nearly every upgrade you put into a house. For instance; granite countertops are a very competitive business these days so the price is dropping. The trick is that you are unable to bring in your own contractor until after you close and most financing can not escrow these upgrades after you close. If you can hold some cash in reserve then I sugguest buy the minium package for interior finishing and exterior landscaping. Perform these upgrades after you close and choose quality items that will give you more return.

Cinco Ranch Homes For Sale

This is a page that offers information on Cinco Ranch and the Active homes on the market.

If you have a home and would like a free market report Contact Us

Typical mark up may range 30 - 40% above retail for nearly every upgrade you put into a house.

Fortunately, I did not have this experience. Although I didn't check prices on everything, those that I did check were fairly close to the builder's price list. In addition, I got credit for the standard items, which made the upgrades very reasonable.

For example, the included appliances were GE, white, bisque or black. I wanted to upgrade to the GE Profile stainless steel series. When I checked prices on the Profile models that are being installed in my house, I came up with around $6000 (fridge, cooktop, oven, microwave range top and dishwasher). The builders price list had those items listed around $6100, but I got $3330 in credit for the std appliances, so, I paid less than $3000 for the upgrade - to have done it later would have cost me the full $6000 plus delivery and installation costs.

The Kohler sink and Moen faucet I wanted would have cost me around $1100 at Home Depot. The builder's price list was $1180. Plus I got $640 credit for the standard items.

The only thing I did not upgrade was the bathroom fixtures, and that was just b/c the selection was fairly limited, not because of price.

All total, I received over $11,000 in credits, plus $10,000 towards the upgrades for going through the builder's mortgage company (and the rates were very competitive).

The $21000 total in credits, plus not having to deal with the headache of future remodeling made going with the builder's upgrades very appealing to me.

I'd advise everyone to do their homework before going to the builder's design center. Make sure you know the prices of the included items and the current market prices of any upgrades you are interested in.

Edited by cla

After reading the 'New Subdivision' thread, I was curious as to what the average increase in home values has been in the Cinco area? Are there any useful websites with this info?

Check out today's (April 15th) Houston Chronicle's business section. It surveys every Houston area subdivision including Cinco Ranch on home value trends.

Check out today's (April 15th) Houston Chronicle's business section. It surveys every Houston area subdivision including Cinco Ranch on home value trends.

Be careful when you look at these. The year-over-year changes are highly suspect when there are only a handful of documented sales on record. For MLS data to be useful, you generally need to have a large sample size.

• The title was changed to Home Values In Cinco Ranch