Houston Projects

marc

Hey Everbody,

Even though i am a native Houstonian, i only get to visit about twice a year. I have looked in Skyscraperpage.com, Emporis and have looked through several of our old posts. Could someone do a comprehensive list of proposed, approved and currently under construction projects in the Houston metropolitan area?

It seems i have to do a bit of mia culpa. In some of my past posts, i was grousing about what seemed to me to be Houston's lack of development or its slow pace. I obviously need to get into town more often. (last time was Xmas...next time is summer).

Anyway, my apologies. I think a great point was made that because Houston is so frigging spread out from here to kindom come,

it is hard to capture the scope of the rampant development going on. Other cities like Miami, Vegas, Frisco, Atlanta, The Loop in Chicago and Manhattan only appear to have MORE development going on because of the compact area that building is occuring. Even our Austin seems to have MORE going on than Houston, BUT in terms of numbers of projects, is not the case. Albeit, i think if we looked around, it seems several large cities in the US are going through some sort of building boom. Houston is certainly no exception.

SOOO, maybe a compilation could be gathered and shared??? :D AND if photos could be included.....that would be fantastic.

Again, i know a lot of this stuff can be found scattered all over this forum, BUT it would be nice to have all the info. in one place.

THEN, maybe once this is done, updates could be given periodically.

As of now, here are the projects i know of-

Houston Pavilions- Ground breaking, yet?

Mosaic- 1st tower UC, 2nd tower status?

Medical Center- another hospital or office building UC? (not the latest one with the glowing crown)

Park Tower- DT Ground breaking, yet?

UT- Turnberry project as well as The Cosmopolitan- Groundbreaking, yet?

Inside the Loop- 2727 Kirby UC

Around Memorial City - new tower UC?

Former T&C- any groundbreaking for new development?

Energy corridor- UC- a few low rises

This is all i know for sure about and am not certain at what stages most of these are. Any info. would help.

Thanks all. B)

m.

Hey Everbody,

Even though i am a native Houstonian, i only get to visit about twice a year. I have looked in Skyscraperpage.com, Emporis and have looked through several of our old posts. Could someone do a comprehensive list of proposed, approved and currently under construction projects in the Houston metropolitan area?

It seems i have to do a bit of mia culpa. In some of my past posts, i was grousing about what seemed to me to be Houston's lack of development or its slow pace. I obviously need to get into town more often. (last time was Xmas...next time is summer).

Anyway, my apologies. I think a great point was made that because Houston is so frigging spread out from here to kindom come,

it is hard to capture the scope of the rampant development going on. Other cities like Miami, Vegas, Frisco, Atlanta, The Loop in Chicago and Manhattan only appear to have MORE development going on because of the compact area that building is occuring. Even our Austin seems to have MORE going on than Houston, BUT in terms of numbers of projects, is not the case. Albeit, i think if we looked around, it seems several large cities in the US are going through some sort of building boom. Houston is certainly no exception.

SOOO, maybe a compilation could be gathered and shared??? :D AND if photos could be included.....that would be fantastic.

Again, i know a lot of this stuff can be found scattered all over this forum, BUT it would be nice to have all the info. in one place.

THEN, maybe once this is done, updates could be given periodically.

As of now, here are the projects i know of-

Houston Pavilions- Ground breaking, yet?

Medical Center- another hospital or office building UC? (not the latest one with the glowing crown)

Energy corridor- UC- a few low rises

This is all i know for sure about and am not certain at what stages most of these are. Any info. would help.

Thanks all. B)

m.

Here's what I know of...

Houston Pavilions - official groundbreaking tomorrow... though they started tearing up a parking lot today.

Park Tower DT - I don't believe they had an "official" groundbreaking yet, but they are working... there is already a big hole.

I think an periodic update of a list would be nice. It's quite difficult to really keep up as proposed, financed, under construction, etc of all the various projects downtown.

While I'm one of the few people on this system that can go to various parts of the city, I can't do it all in a single week all the time and there are people on here far more knowledgeable than I on some matters.

In fact, a couple of hours ago, I just drove by the Highstreet project and the only new thing I've noticed is a trailer.

"Houston Pavilions- Ground breaking, yet?

Energy corridor- UC- a few low rises"

Their is at least 7 cranes in the TMC

2 cranes for the tower in Memorial City

Half a billion dollar development where T+C use to be is UC

3 cranes in the energy corridor

At least 4 cranes in UT (One for the cosmopolitan)

1 crane for the Chinese bank building on Bellaire

Park Tower, HP, new park, new fire station, other smaller projects UC in DT

Approx 2 dozen 3-5 stories structures for condos going up from the east side to midtown to uptown out to westchase

Mosiac well UC

Crane for 2727 Kirby is up and a crane for a midrise is up down Kirby from 2727 Kirby

Hundreds of townhomes are UC inside the loop

That is all I can think of brain storming for a min...

If someone had the time, a detailed list of projects with pictures would be great ...

Edited by Ethanra

If someone could maintain a spreadsheet with the project and status, then keep posting it here every week or so, then others with knowledge of major events only, like groundbreaking or major milestones could help that person maintain it with posts on here. This might work and the first few posts here do a great job to start that spreadsheet. Now we just need someone to take on the task of keeping it up.

Suggested columns:

Project name and/or Location Official Ground Breaking Y/N(Date) Proposed completion Date Status/Comments

I think an periodic update of a list would be nice. It's quite difficult to really keep up as proposed, financed, under construction, etc of all the various projects downtown.

While I'm one of the few people on this system that can go to various parts of the city, I can't do it all in a single week all the time and there are people on here far more knowledgeable than I on some matters.

In fact, a couple of hours ago, I just drove by the Highstreet project and the only new thing I've noticed is a trailer.

Thanks ricco67,

Anything you could contribute will be appreciated. I drive around a great deal when i am visiting Houston just to see what's going on. Yes, there is so much (i got quite an eye full this past Dec.) going on, it is hard to keep track of it.

m. :)

I thought CityKid09 or Trae already had a thread with a list of projects started?

Under what heading?? AND is it updated?

m.

It is updated recent enough, (it was started on 1/15/2007)

It is here

Since you asked, I am going to submit a request to merge this thread into Citykid09's. . . so say goodbye to your topic! :lol:

Better luck on starting a new topic that is not a repeat, try the search function next time! :rolleyes:

It is updated recent enough, (it was started on 1/15/2007)

It is here

Since you asked, I am going to submit a request to merge this thread into Citykid09's. . . so say goodbye to your topic! :lol:

Better luck on starting a new topic that is not a repeat, try the search function next time! :rolleyes:

First off.........i said UPDATED......i believe it is now February 27th. :lol:

Secondly........merge?! I will never assimilate to your Borg-like fiendishness! > :)

By the way...........thanks for the info.

m.

^^^^^^^

Thanks for the link and yes, SORT OF what i am after........but if we could compile a comprehensive lists of ALL projects occuring in Houston, i think that would be cool. Even if we get to click onto other threads/topics etc. to see more details or pix., having one list in one place would be easier. At least that is my thinking on it.

m.

^^^^^^^

Thanks for the link and yes, SORT OF what i am after........but if we could compile a comprehensive lists of ALL projects occuring in Houston, i think that would be cool. Even if we get to click onto other threads/topics etc. to see more details or pix., having one list in one place would be easier. At least that is my thinking on it.

m.

hence the request to merge, the info in this thread and the topic in the thread I linked go very well together and makes sense to combine them. B)

^^^^^^^

m.

See www.houstondowntown.com/Home/GeneralInfo/About/Development/.

I'll post what I got at SSP, up here.

It won't allow me to post all of the photos, so just look at this.

Hey, thanks trae. I have seen this, but did not know (not living in the Houston area right now) if any were scrapped, postponed, UC or any of their status.

m.