Broadmoor Sidewalks

Musicman,

The lot designator is pretty neat. The issue with Broadmoor is that it's the whole neighborhood except for where owners have replaced the sidewalks themselves. I did this at my wifes old house on Munger, two homes near the beginning of Scharpe did this a few weeks ago, but pretty much the sidewalks over here are a complete and utter mess. This area would look better without the sidewalks in my opinion.

It amuses me on how they ripped out the intersection and some ramps at the 45/Elgin underpass. Did a big job there and replaced a lot of concrete and tore up the old stuff which really wasn't all that bad, there were one or two spots that persistently would sink over time and they would fill up/patch but they could have replaced a very good portion of all the sidewalks in our neighborhood with what they used there. They poured it thick.

Anyhow it just aggravates me, I know get the neighborhood on the CIP but that takes 7 years and quite honestly we won't be here and with all the projects we have going on it's tough to get the time to put something together.

Thanks for allow the b*tch session.

Scharpe St Guy

It amuses me on how they ripped out the intersection and some ramps at the 45/Elgin underpass. Did a big job there and replaced a lot of concrete and tore up the old stuff which really wasn't all that bad, there were one or two spots that persistently would sink over time and they would fill up/patch but they could have replaced a very good portion of all the sidewalks in our neighborhood with what they used there. They poured it thick.

Anyhow it just aggravates me, I know get the neighborhood on the CIP but that takes 7 years and quite honestly we won't be here and with all the projects we have going on it's tough to get the time to put something together.

Thanks for allow the b*tch session.

unfortunately public works sucks in houston. There was a portion of woodridge in front of the mcdonalds where the patched blacktop came off after every rain. pot holes were huge there. There was a metro bus stop there too. everytime i drove there i hit a pothole. i took pictures to document the repeated problems. The city didn't want to repair the street with concrete as i had asked repeatedly, but since there was a METRO bus stop there, METRO supposedly stepped up and redid the street there with concrete. that was about 4 yrs ago and there have been no other problems. a friend's sister in law who lives here too gave me a hug when she found out i had complained loud enough to fix it.

While this was a win for me in this instance, i think i have a losing record.

SSG venting is good

It took me some cain raising just to have the city install barriers all along Sunnyland (convents side) just to deter cars from running in to thier property. I was thinking they would place concrete stumps or something more noticible. What a joke they place thin aluminum poles about 2 feet high. All are flattened and hardly visible now. The convent never raises their voice but they complain about the crime. Wouldn't you think they have the $ and voice to gets things done? The main thing we wanted was sidewalks that were NEVER placed to begin with. There are still no curbs along Sunnyland after 70-80 plus years, insane.

Then over on 1400 Munger we had to go in person and raise more cain with city council to finally get noticed. Next to pouring gasoline on yourself and lighting the match, you have to scream in our part of the city. All that just to get sidewalks placed in front of our house and approx 200 yards to Dumble.

I was told years ago its always best to live in area where there are council members. They will raise a voice. I hear your angst, trust me on that one. Ist thing they say is get a petition started. Real, good luck on that!

• 1 year later...

Hello all as mentioned previously under the East End baseball thread it appears the City is graciously providing us new sidewalks along Dumble. This is terrific due to the fact with the High School and baseball fields on Dumble there were for the "most" part no (Seriously NO sidewalks at all on either side of the street across from the baseball fields) sidewalks to walk on. On certain streets the city is also replacing the sidewalks in front of the home on each corner as well.

Any idea how this came about? Will they continue and replace the unusable sidewalks throughout Broadmoor? I believe this is just one more item that will make the area more attractive to those who were on the fence about moving into the near East End and specifically the Broadmoor area.

Thanks,

Scharpe St Guy

I was going to PM you but what the heck. Approx 2-3 years ago, we had a relative go in person to city hall and urge them to see how terrible things were (speak to Carol A as well). Took several months for a surveyor to come check out the side we were more concerned about (most visible) they returned and replaced all the way from corner to our home, even replacing a section of the driveway. About 4 months ago the surveyors came back looked over again are now finishing what was started 2-3 years ago. Now it could have been the new residents at that corner complaining to so we arent taking all the credit by no means. Point is if you scream loud enough ...

Yep, they were in that shape in 1968 and had to have been messed up way before then.

Final note: Please everyone never plant China Berry Trees if you love your nabes appearance. :D

I was told years ago its always best to live in area where there are council members. They will raise a voice. I hear your angst, trust me on that one. Ist thing they say is get a petition started. Real, good luck on that!

I'm sure it is a coincidence, but many if not all of Idylwood's streets were resurfaced about the time Carol A moved in. And we have Rick and Melissa Noriega in my part of Eastwood, and we probably have the best sidewalks in the area, LOL. I hear they were in terrible shape before, so I'm sure they warranted replacing.

When I lived in Idylwood, we had to endure the Wayside reconstruction. The worst part was that TXDoT would only replace sections of sidewalk. It wouldn't have been so bad, but the new sections are about a foot wider and so there is a mismash of narrow and wide. All to save taxpayers a couple thousand dollars.

and what's the deal with all the streets in near Eastwood being ripped apart?

boy I just try to avoid that whole area now. Looks as if it will last for next year or so. Streets blocked off and some are just cut off from any traffic, etc. Topsy-turvy scene. :o

That is just nature taking back what is rightfully theirs! :ph34r:

:lol: ...you see that alot around here. Those pics in the first post are some of the worst I've ever seen. Ouch...my toe hurts just looking at it. Musicman, Ive never heard of or seen lot designation numbers, that's interesting. The nabe I grew up in didn't have sidewalks, we played in the yard or street. :(

:lol: ...you see that alot around here. Those pics in the first post are some of the worst I've ever seen. Ouch...my toe hurts just looking at it. Musicman, Ive never heard of or seen lot designation numbers, that's interesting. The nabe I grew up in didn't have sidewalks, we played in the yard or street. :(

When walking to school we sort of developed a step here step there, skip here, jump there sort of mindset.

It was even more bizarre when riding a bike over the slopes. The sidewalks always appeared as if just had a 8.5 on the richter scale event. lol.

Unfortunately one evening our elderly neighbor was bringing us some mail the mailman had given her by mistake and she was walking over to give to us and she had a serious fall because of these blasted walkways. Still feel bad about it. Good to see the light at the end of the tunnel after all these years.

oly_sidewalk.jpg Feels like old Broadmoor! :)

Vertigo,

Those sidewalks actually look kinda good when compared to some of the ones in Broadmoor. I will need to take a few new pictures of the new sidewalks and some more pictures of the bad sidewalks or for that matter just plain old non-existent ones.

Thanks,

Scharpe St Guy

and what's the deal with all the streets in near Eastwood being ripped apart?

boy I just try to avoid that whole area now. Looks as if it will last for next year or so. Streets blocked off and some are just cut off from any traffic, etc. Topsy-turvy scene. :o

Part of the sewer work? My part of the 'hood isn't affected (I think we had our work a few years ago), so I'm not too sure.

Part of the sewer work? My part of the 'hood isn't affected (I think we had our work a few years ago), so I'm not too sure.

That would be my side of the hood with the work. The dump trucks start lining up on the side of my house every morning about the time I leave at 7. All of Eddington from Telephone down to Walker is getting done, plus McKinney between Dumble & Lockwood, and traffic is diverted to one lane on a portion of Polk. I'm on the corner of Walker and Eddington, so it's pretty much a massive construction zone in my back yard. Once they're done with the pipes in the street, then they will come back and move the lines from the back of the lots to the sides. ??? That's what some surveryor guy told us last fall, but I still don't have a clear understanding of what to expect.

Just think it's probably been 70 plus years or more since many of those pipes have been down there.

About 14 years ago most of the sewage pipes in Broadmoor (at least along near Dumble) were replaced. It had to be done. Everyone complained about slow or clogged drainage. On our side all of these pipes are behind everyone's garage. Fortunately our telephone lines are behind the properties out of site from the street. The sewage pipes run all along from Dumble to Broadmoor street.

Here were the main culprit's for the problems.

1. Age and poor materials

2. Tree's, big old overgrown pathetic trees of all types. Worse one China Berry.

3. The usual settling in our soil.

When the workers were "excavating" these relics, should have seen the sad shape they were in. Most broken, cracked and with ROOTS that filled in the whole circumference within. People, trees are not always our friends! Then add homeowners not having the funds to trim back these trees as they overgrow.

Believe it or not most residents have the mindset that they have to pay for trees to be cut back from city power lines. Not true! All we do is email or call 311 and they send out a crew to trim away. To hell with what they tree looks like afterward, they eventually grow back.

Again, this is a FREE service. :)

When the workers were "excavating" these relics, should have seen the sad shape they were in. Most broken, cracked and with ROOTS that filled in the whole circumference within. People, trees are not always our friends! Then add homeowners not having the funds to trim back these trees as they overgrow.

how does trimming the trees prevent roots from getting in the sewer lines?

The retainer walls along these new sidewalks add a nice touch. It would be great if the corner residents added some Mexican heather, monkey grass or any color on top or edge of these new concrete walls. Would serve as a pleasant entry way for those entering Dumble. Some good residents have already planted nice little shrubs and color to enhance the look.

We can get creative. :D

Sort of like this! and bouganvilla would hurt any smart Alec's from messing with them.

niermebergia-bedding.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
When walking to school we sort of developed a step here step there, skip here, jump there sort of mindset.

It was even more bizarre when riding a bike over the slopes. The sidewalks always appeared as if just had a 8.5 on the richter scale event. lol.

Unfortunately one evening our elderly neighbor was bringing us some mail the mailman had given her by mistake and she was walking over to give to us and she had a serious fall because of these blasted walkways. Still feel bad about it. Good to see the light at the end of the tunnel after all these years.

oly_sidewalk.jpg Feels like old Broadmoor! :)

Wow!...I though my hood was bad...but still not excuse to be grateful.

• 3 weeks later...

I was in the area last night watching the All-Star game with a friend. It was an experience getting to his car in the dark without falling down. All in all I liked many of the houses that I saw.

I was in the area last night watching the All-Star game with a friend. It was an experience getting to his car in the dark without falling down. All in all I liked many of the houses that I saw.

and the real problem is more than just what meets the eye. We see and get irritated by the appearance but keep in mind that past owners in this nabe started renting and these passing gypsies couldnt give a crap about the sidewalks. It's make a quick buck and move on. That has been the cycle for over 35 years. To them its like getting a motel room, wreck it (since its not yours) then leave in the morning. This area will not improve until owners stop renting for cheap rates, just like a cheap motel you get what you offer. It would be wonderful to have a survey done to see how many houses on each block are being bought by the tenants living in them. Whole new topic, but thats mostly why the sidewalks were left to go to pot over the years, no one complains, no one will fix. Thats it.

PS, that big old red brick house on corner of Munger/Broadmoor is the best/worse example. When the elderly lady passed away it was rented over & over & over ever since. This was around 1974. :o Thats why its such an eyesore and total wreck. Crater Houston list please.

• 1 year later...

Speaking of council and sidewalks... check out the slide show here:

http://progressivecoalitionhouston.com/ (Can you guess the neighborhood?)

The SO took the pictures... and if you want progressive city council members... well... you can check that out too.

a councilmember with the last name SHAFTO??? hmmmm, not a good name.

Archived