Lost Works Of MacKie And Kamrath

BenH

I've noticed a few houses around town that aren't in the guide but are clearly Mackie & Kamrath's. Many of them have mailboxes designed by the firm as well. Take this one for example:

n37510102_31893038_3472.jpg

This is 402 Flintwood, less than a block from the Kamrath on Liberty Bell Circle. I couldn't get a clear enough shot of the house, but it's big, two stories and appears to be in pretty good shape.

There's also a house that HAS to be a Kamrath on North Blvd. The people that live there had a bunch of noisy teenagers that would throw pool parties at night. It's not painted like a normal Kamrath house.

Another possible Kamrath is over on Doliver or Dolsiver (something like that) in Tanglewood.

950 Kirby at the corner of Tiel Way is Kamrath, so I'm told. I think it is waiting to be put on the market as a tear down as far as I know. I doubt anyone will save it in its current condition. Not that it is for sale yet, but I believe it will be. Wow, it was last year at the Azalea trail that I found out about it. I'm surprised it's not on the market yet.

Jason

supposedly there is one in Meadowcreek Village off old Galveston Rd & Allendale. There was one of those Sunday articles on Meadowcreek that the Chronicle does in the business section, and it mentioned it once. It described it as backing up to the bayou, and I suspect it was this one, which from afar doesn't look that dramatic, but up close the detailing is there.

IMG_0210.jpg

I was in a Kamrath house on Tiel Way yesterday for a meeting. I have been in it before but I have a new found appreciation for it thanks to reading the Houston MOD posts on this forum. I am now so impressed by this house - it is amazing. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

This was a good week in terms of picture taking. I've got two houses that are probably Kamrath's that y'all need to see. The first is on South Blvd, which was probably the one up on the HAR listings:

DSC_0010.jpg

DSC_0012.jpg

The second is quite startling. Imagine driving through Tanglewood's classic ranch-style homes and bloated McMansions, and then seeing a full-on Prairie style house right out of Oak Park:

DSC_0013.jpg

Prairie-House-1.jpg

This one is really amazing. The address is 5477 Doliver, I believe, and it was built in 1951.

This was a good week in terms of picture taking. I've got two houses that are probably Kamrath's that ya'll need to see. The first is on South Blvd, which was probably the one up on the HAR listings:

DSC_0010.jpg

DSC_0012.jpg

The second is quite startling. Imagine driving through Tanglewood's classic ranch-style homes and bloated McMansions, and then seeing a full-on Prairie style house right out of Oak Park:

DSC_0013.jpg

Prairie-House-1.jpg

This one is really amazing. The address is 5477 Doliver, I believe, and it was built in 1951.

the south blvd house i know. the last one on doliver, i've never seen. great find! very impressive. thanks for the pictures!

I've been in that house!!!!!!!

supposedly there is one in Meadowcreek Village off old Galveston Rd & Allendale. There was one of those Sunday articles on Meadowcreek that the Chronicle does in the business section, and it mentioned it once. It described it as backing up to the bayou, and I suspect it was this one, which from afar doesn't look that dramatic, but up close the detailing is there.

IMG_0210.jpg

the south blvd house i know. the last one on doliver, i've never seen. great find! very impressive. thanks for the pictures!

The house on Doliver is not a Kamerath (I don't think) If the address is correct It was built in 1999

I thought it was even newer

http://www.hcad.org/records/details.asp?ta...t=0752020270005

There are some houses by an architect named Tom Wilson that are done in that style

I am not sure about the one on South? Blvd either

It was remodeled a lot recently also

950 Kirby at the corner of Tiel Way is Kamrath, so I'm told. I think it is waiting to be put on the market as a tear down as far as I know. I doubt anyone will save it in its current condition. Not that it is for sale yet, but I believe it will be. Wow, it was last year at the Azalea trail that I found out about it. I'm surprised it's not on the market yet.

Jason

This ( 950 Kirby) house was definitly a Kamerath

The house on Doliver is not a Kamerath (I don't think) If the address is correct It was built in 1999

I thought it was even newer

http://www.hcad.org/records/details.asp?ta...t=0752020270005

There are some houses by an architect named Tom Wilson that are done in that style

I am not sure about the one on South? Blvd either

It was remodeled a lot recently also

This ( 950 Kirby) house was definitly a Kamerath

They need to put 950 Kirby out of it's misery.

Here's the Doliver record: http://www.hcad.org/records/details.asp?ta...t=0752020270003

They need to put 950 Kirby out of it's misery.

Here's the Doliver record: http://www.hcad.org/records/details.asp?ta...t=0752020270003

I was thinking that the Doliver house was newer too. Very new, actually. This makes me think that inside of the Wrightian facade is just another Tanglewood ranch and they did a fine job of covering it up. Must be a total remodel.

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this, but two of Kamrath's designs are featured in the books Organic Architecture (#8 Tiel Way) and Modernism Reborn (The Gonzalez house on Tiel Way, don't know the address). Both are newer books, like within the last three years, and have splendid photography.

• 4 weeks later...

I could be wrong, but I thought I read from Michael Brichford's site that 705 Kuhlman is by William Floyd. I could see how it could be either Floyd or Kamrath. It's a pretty fantastic house.

We went to the open house that was there last year. Good to see it's not torn down. But these are some of the same pictures as were used then, like they are just trying to get it rented awhile until they find the people to do that.

Jason

If you want to lease a Kamrath, go here: <a href="http://www.har.com/AWS/AWSF.cfm?tgt=http%3A%2F%2Fsearch%2Ehar%2Ecom%2Fidx%2FdoSearch%2Ecfm%3Fclass%3D7%26leadid%3D3%26ALLMLS%3DN%26siteType%3DAWS%26cid%3D491724" target="_blank">http

://www.har.com/AWS/AWSF.cfm?tgt=http%3...26cid%3D491724

</a>

Not one of the better known ones, but it's a Kamrath.

I could be wrong, but I thought I read from Michael Brichford's site that 705 Kuhlman is by William Floyd. I could see how it could be either Floyd or Kamrath. It's a pretty fantastic house.

We went to the open house that was there last year. Good to see it's not torn down. But these are some of the same pictures as were used then, like they are just trying to get it rented awhile until they find the people to do that.

Jason

Found it in the guide to MacKie & Kamrath's drawings. Basically what that book tells you is that anything that looks like Wright in town, they probably did. A ridiculous amount of buildings.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

IMG_0210.jpg

This one hit the market last week at $259,000. It has an incredible backyard. The house is a lot more impressive in person than in the pictures. The agent has the original blueprints on it as well.

• 3 months later...
I was thinking about 705 Kuhlman today, and looked to see if it were still for rent on HAR. Turns out it has sold.

http://www.har.com/HomeValue/dispSoldDetai...p;MLNUM=8443340

I don't know if that means the end for this house, but could be.

Jason

MLS 8443340 is from the sale in July 2006. It has since been for lease but the listing has expired and the house has not been relisted for sale or for lease. I saw the house a few months ago and it was not being maintained very well. I have trouble seeing how you could cough up over a million dollars and then just watch the house fall into disrepair. I understand that most if not all of that price is based on the value of the land but I still can't see why someone would want to buy it and then let it sit empty for so long.

Thanks for clearing that up. We went to an open house and it was fantastic and actually in pretty good shape, definitely worth keeping a year and a half ago. I guess there just aren't enough multi-millionaires with good taste out there to save houses like this.

705 Kuhlman is definitely a Floyd... see here... http://memorialbendarchitecture.com/floyd_hcart6.jpg

floyd_hcart6.jpg

Which I saw the moment I found that your site was back up, and concede that you are right. At the time this information wasn't available, but apparently Kamrath at least had drawings for a house for this address as well. Plus, Floyd doesn't seem to have designed using those materials much.

Now that this is settled, do either of you have a good picture of it? If not, I can head over this weekend to take one.

I think I should include it on Houston Mod's most endangered list.

Jason

Which I saw the moment I found that your site was back up, and concede that you are right. At the time this information wasn't available, but apparently Kamrath at least had drawings for a house for this address as well. Plus, Floyd doesn't seem to have designed using those materials much.

Now that this is settled, do either of you have a good picture of it? If not, I can head over this weekend to take one.

I think I should include it on Houston Mod's most endangered list.

Jason

It's kind of hard to photograph; all the good positions are taken by trees. You'll need a wide-angle lens, too. I have pictures, but not good ones. Front yard hasn't been mowed in a while, and there's probably a flooded driveway by now.

• 1 year later...

I too ran across 5477 Doliver (from the air, no less) and saw the 1999 HCAD record on the way here. I'm surprised that it could possibly be 1990s construction and not be bragged on by any architect capable of building such a creation these days.

Owner is now Condon Builders, which may be a bad sign. But how about deciding with the aid of HistoricAerials.com?

I too ran across 5477 Doliver (from the air, no less) and saw the 1999 HCAD record on the way here. I'm surprised that it could possibly be 1990s construction and not be bragged on by any architect capable of building such a creation these days.

Owner is now Condon Builders, which may be a bad sign. But how about deciding with the aid of HistoricAerials.com?

Hard to say with either historicaerials or Google Earth historic maps. The black and whites are too blurry. The closer Google Earth historics only go back to 2002, and the house was clearly there then. Maybe I'll look tomorrow when I am less tired.

• The title was changed to Lost Works Of MacKie And Kamrath

Archived