Tipping, Part II

Heights2Bastrop

I was quite surprised how generous many of you are when it comes to tipping barbers. So that made me wonder how generous you all are with others.

If you take your car in to have the oil changed or get new tires, do you tip the service people? Do you tip the person who checks your groceries? When you buy clothes, do you tip if a clerk who helps you in any way?

Just what services do you tip for?

I was quite surprised how generous many of you are when it comes to tipping barbers. So that made me wonder how generous you all are with others.

If you take your car in to have the oil changed or get new tires, do you tip the service people? Do you tip the person who checks your groceries? When you buy clothes, do you tip if a clerk who helps you in any way?

I don't tip ANY of those you just mentioned.

I do tip Bellhops, The guy that helps carry your fresh Xmas tree to the truck, tipped him $5. Valet, if he is fast bringin' it around. Tip the bouncer at the club if there is a line. Tip your servers 20% always, 15% minimum. If I have a kid bring my groceries out, I'l tip him a buck. I don't ever have them bring them out though. I'll tip my lawnmower guy, especially in the fall like now when there are a million leaves on the ground. Tip a cabbie, I'll tip a DJ at a club or buy him a couple of drinks to hear a couple of SPECIFIC songs that I want to hear. I also tip the guy who puts the Armor All on my tires at the carwash.

In terms of tipping, i definately think it depends on the service, of course, but also it depends on what the service person's base salary is. I have friends in the entertainment industry (i.e. waiting tables a lot of the time :D ) and i know first hand wait staff doesn't make much without tips.

Hair stylists/barbers, etc. i personally think they should get 20% of the total price unless they own or manage the company. They DO make part of the total hair styling price, BUT most have to pay a monthly rent for space and (i did not realize this) dues. ALSO, they are also pressured to renew their license, usually every two years, which costs money too.

SO, in my opinion, i base my tipping on people who don't make a whole lot of money in the first place to perform a service which requires time and energy. Again, from first hand experience (my brother was a mechanic) the markup is obscene. They already make a great deal of profit on anything done to a car. Think about it- just to bring a car in has a charge even if there is nothing wrong with it.

Hotel staff/ cruiseship staff- definately need to be tipped. They make virtually nothing.

As for grocery clerks, actually some places won't allow you to do so, although, i think if they help someone load their vehicle......it is a good habit.

I am all about tipping anyone doing manual labor for me when i am too darn lazy to do it myself.

Just my opinion.

m. B)

:D Oh and definately bartenders and DJs when they play specific songs.

i am here to tell you ANYWHERE you go.........you tip the bartender well, and you have a friend for life........or at least for the night. B)

I'm with Tjones on that.

The amount of tip varies. Lately I've run across some great service when it comes to resturants. Two people stood out, my drink was never low, they anticipated my every need and were johnny on the spot when I looked around for him.

TIP: 50%.

One was a $55 tab At the fox sports grill. (ask for Art or Arthur!)

two was for a $30 (I think) tab at the Red Robin.

I personally think it's BS that the restaurant business gets a pass on paying minimum wage to the waiters and waitresses, an them having to hustle to get what is legally coming to them. A tip should be gratis, extra for a job well done, not partially to get back to minimum wage and then the rest is gratis. It's just BS IMHO.

I tip based on services and courtesy. If I have to constantly remind them I need a refill of tea, that's a minus. If they are rude or not the slightest bit friendly, that's a minus. If they do their job well that's an automatic 20% unless the tab is less than $50, then it's 30-40% sometimes more, I even tip the folks at the Starbucks drive thru the change from a ten on a good Venti White Chocolate Mocha.

On the other hand if I get bad service or no service at all, I have no problem showing it with the tip. Horrid service will be no tip, and I have no issue with that.

The Barber always get the whole ten on an eight dollar cut, it's the least I could do. Of coarse he always gets a Christmas package too, with all the goodies. Home made breads, candies, and jerky.

Absolutely, bad service will always equal BAD TIP, but I am the type of Jackass that will ask if they are having a bad day, before just assuming they are a cruddy server. I use to be in the business, so I know what it can be like somedays. You try to leave it all at the door, but sometimes, it will follow you inside. I have aspecific timetable that runs in my head when I go out to eat, it is a subconcious thing from years in the business. In EVERY restaurant there are timetables set up for the appropriate amount of time that each service should take place, as far as drink ordering, taking appetiser order, entree' order, how long food should take after ordering, blah, blah, blah. I keep it in my head, and if they are anywhere near the clock, they get the Big Money, No Whammies !

No.

I've been told that I tip too much. I think it's because I worry about tipping too little.

My rule of thumb is: If they come to my home, they get at least five bucks. If there's a delivery fee, they probably won't get much more than that.

That said, here's what I usually end up doing:

Cab drivers - round up to the nearest $5.

Bellhops - $3-$5.

Pizza guy - $5.

Grocery guy - $5.

Doorman - One bottle of booze at Christmas (sounds cheap, but there are nine doormen).

Hotel concierge - Depends on what he's helping me with. Usually between $0 and $5.

Tow truck driver - $20.

Movers (professional company) - $30 each

Movers (homeless guys off the street) - $10 each

Bartenders - $1-$2 per drink ordered

Christmas tree delivery guy - $20

Christmas tree pickup guy - $10

Barber - no hair. No tip.

I've never tipped a housekeeper at a hotel until this week. I left $10 at a B&B because they let me borrow their cat.

Now there's an odd request!

It was an odd sort of trip. I went to see my father's grave for the first time in ten years. I thought it might stop the nightmares. The cat kept me company.

How's that for too much information!

Forgot to mention Movers and The Pizza Guy. As far as Hotel maids, I leave a substantial amount of coinage on the dresser, somehow they just seem to know to take it. I used to leave the coins in the CLEAN ashtrays, but most rooms I use now are non smoking.

It was an odd sort of trip. I went to see my father's grave for the first time in ten years. I thought it might stop the nightmares. The cat kept me company.

How's that for too much information!

Well, I was going to quote you in my signature again - but maybe not in this particular case!

Ps. Did the cat work?

I'm generous with tips in restaurants for good service -- but if the waiter is rude or just doesn't seem to care, the tip will suffer some. I usually tip the lady who cuts my hair about $4, which is around 20%, but sometimes give her a little extra if it's around the holidays or she works me in when she's really busy. I don't usually tip hotel housekeepers, mainly since I spend about 200 nights a year in hotels, and they aren't paid below the standard minimum wage. I do usually leave a tip in larger, very expensive cities like New York though. When I do use a bellhop at a hotel, I give them $1-2 per bag handled. I always tip cab drivers and food delivery people.

As for the guy who changes my oil, person who runs the cash register at the grocery store, and other similar workers I might encounter, I do not tip them. At times I get frustrated with the expectation of tipping -- to me it should be a little something extra for excellent service, not something that is automatically expected. I've seen a tip cup out in places like Whataburger before! I'd much prefer tipping as most European countries do it -- it's not expected, and when it's done, it's because the service was exceptional, not just ordinary. Of course, that would also require that restaurants pay their staff appropriately, which is not going to happen any time soon.

Tow truck driver - $20.

Movers (homeless guys off the street) - $10 each

I am assuming you mean to tip them when it is needed, not in the case where they tow you to the impound lot! :P

And regarding a homeless guy, why would you let them in your house, aren't you worried that they will see what you have, know where you live, and then come into your home while you are away? :o

I am assuming you mean to tip them when it is needed, not in the case where they tow you to the impound lot! :P

And regarding a homeless guy, why would you let them in your house, aren't you worried that they will see what you have, know where you live, and then come into your home while you are away? :o

No. My buidling has doorstaff, security cameras, and RFID access locks on the hallway leading to the elevators and the elevators, themselves. And I'm insured out the wazoo.

No. My buidling has doorstaff, security cameras, and RFID access locks on the hallway leading to the elevators and the elevators, themselves. And I'm insured out the wazoo.

Off topic a little, but i read this post and it made me think of the commercial that came out a couple of years ago, where a team doctors are around a man with money flying out him, and the lead doctor, in a panic, yells "He's got money coming out the WAZOO! " :lol:

Sorry, it just struck me funny.

Archived