Downtown Bryan Revitalization

Scotch

Just posting some articles from the past few months:

Woolworth, Varisco properties bought by local group

By APRIL AVISON

Eagle Staff Writer

6802_250.jpg

Eagle Photo/Patric Schnieder

The chairman of the Downtown Bryan Economic Development Association this week added two properties to his assets.

Randall Spradley is senior vice president for Astin Partners, which owns the Queen Theater, the Astin Building and the old First National Bank building in downtown. On Friday, Spradley closed deals with the Varisco estate for the Woolworth Building and the Varisco Office Building, both on North Main Street.

Spradley did not disclose the purchase price of the two buildings. A listing of downtown properties on the Downtown Bryan Economic Development Association's Web site shows the Woolworth Building at $1.95 million. The Varisco building is not listed under properties for sale.

The three-story Woolworth Building now will be called the Wimberly Building in honor of a large building that once stood there, Spradley said. Asbestos abatement is the first order of business for the 52,000-square-foot structure, to be followed by a process of restoring its historical value.

"The idea is to clean it up, get all the extraneous stuff out of there, paint it but not do any facade work, right now," Spradley said. "We're eager to address the facade and return to an historical look there, but that is a project that requires a great deal of work with the city and will probably be tied in to Phase II [of the Downtown Bryan Master Plan]."

Phase II of the city-funded master plan will involve burying utilities, "essentially redeveloping Bryan Street from 28th Street to 24th Street," Spradley said. Phase I involved engineering, drainage work and landscaping.

The 55,000-square-foot Varisco Building is 60 percent occupied by office staff, including an architect, an attorney and a nonprofit organization. It will continue to operate as is, Spradley said, while the economic development association attempts to recruit more tenants.

On a recent stroll through downtown, Spradley greeted merchants and paused to replace a trash can lid that had been set on the ground.

"How hard is it to just do it all the way?" he wondered out loud.

That philosophy has been employed by many down- town property owners, including Zane Anderson and Michael Schaefer, in an effort to revitalize the downtown area, according to Downtown Bryan Economic Development Association Executive Director John Hendry.

Property owners who have an interest in restoring historical value to the area while recruiting good businesses to occupy the buildings create a district that is "user-friendly, socially vibrant and economically sound," Hendry said.

"We believe [the Woolworth and Varisco buildings] will absorb a significant increase in office and retail occupancy over time," Hendry said. "The Woolworth development is particularly exciting because it has been two-thirds vacant for over 10 years."

Architect Mike Record of the Arkitex Studio works with Spradley on historic revitalization. The Astin Building, constructed in 1915, is undergoing a massive overhaul to restore its original look.

"[Record] understands adaptive reuse of historical structures," Spradley said. "The correct way to do a project like this is to spend a lot of time with the building.

"The craftsmen like that these buildings are very different from new construction. It always demands a high level of creativity and personal initiative."

Although downtown Bryan has a historical look, it's actually quite modern, Spradley said.

He has deemed the downtown district "Fibertown" and says he's looking to bring technology-based companies to the area to take advantage of the fiber optic cable that runs through downtown and is equipped to carry digital information over distance. The city also is equipped to serve technology companies with diesel-generated backup power.

Managed Network Solutions, a wireless Internet technology company, occupies the old First National Bank building on North Main Street, and software company ClickFind occupies the top floor of the Woolworth. Spradley said he'd like to see more technology-based businesses, in hopes that they will complement the retail and entertainment mix downtown.

"It's not about machines. It's about the people who operate them," Spradley said. "The density of pedestrians is what retailers need. The bodies are bringing lunch money and sales tax. Once we get enough foot traffic on the streets, more retail will follow."

The plan to revitalize downtown is a move toward smart growth for Bryan, Spradley added.

"I don't think we're visionaries," he said. "It's logical. We're following high-density trends. I think people try too hard to understand why downtown needs to be redeveloped when what they need to understand is its intrinsic value."

Bryan unveils new downtown clock

Eagle Staff Reports

Bryan Mayor Ernie Wentrcek dedicates a 15-foot clock in downtown Bryan on Tuesday(June 28th). The $25,000 clock was funded by the city and the six firms that took part in the first phase of the Main Street renovation.

6734_600.jpg

An Eagle article about the Astin mansion shadow99 mentioned a few posts ago:

Renovated Bryan mansion has a future thanks to its past

By GREG OKUHARA

Eagle Staff Writer

01.%20Astin%20Mansion.jpg

The former home of the Astin family at 506 W. 26th St. in Bryan has been renovated into a bed-and-breakfast and private event center.

Spradley wishes she could have seen the 36-year-old Astin

• 3 months later...

I think that if someone saw the Downtown of today for the first time and compared it to that of 10 years ago they'd be amazed. The development really seems to be steam rolling now. Everytime I go down there something new is going on and the Astin Group seems like they're going to make a huge difference. I just wish some of the older, truly historic buildings had survived. From the pictures I've seen the structures that the Woolworth building replaced were very impressive. It would be very nice if the truly ugly Courthouse had never been built and the 19th century version was still there too. If the Twin City Mission would ever move it'd be great if some of the revitalization would move further north up Main Street. Some of those smaller, old buildings up there are really cool but most seem like they're about to fall down.

I think that if someone saw the Downtown of today for the first time and compared it to that of 10 years ago they'd be amazed. The development really seems to be steam rolling now. Everytime I go down there something new is going on and the Astin Group seems like they're going to make a huge difference. I just wish some of the older, truly historic buildings had survived. From the pictures I've seen the structures that the Woolworth building replaced were very impressive. It would be very nice if the truly ugly Courthouse had never been built and the 19th century version was still there too. If the Twin City Mission would ever move it'd be great if some of the revitalization would move further north up Main Street. Some of those smaller, old buildings up there are really cool but most seem like they're about to fall down.

They made the street far to narrow and if you have a really big car its hard to get through Main Street.

• 3 weeks later...
The placement of Post Oak Mall set Bryan back 20 years in my opinion

Wow, how many towns can say this about whatever mall was put on the opposite of town from downtown.

I like what has been done with the LaSalle. However, the current situation of running in the red needs to end soon. The effort is worthwhile but is doomed if it can turn itself around. Also, is anything been done with the Queen Theater? That might help if a Branson style performances or maybe something highlighting local musical talent?? Just throwing out ideas??

Last I heard the LaSalle is running in the black and has been for a while, maybe even before the thread started. I just know that even if it was still in the red, the city saw its value, as a loss leader of sorts, for downtown.

The Queen would make a great dinner theatre location. On Friday and Saturday nights and Sunday matinees small productions could feature there and other nights have local singers/poetry reading, etc.

About the mall, it didn't really kill off downtown as much as it killed off the old mall, which probably helped kill off downtown much earlier...

The Queen is being renovated right now, we walked past the front of the building the other day, they had the doors wide open, and had a crew of about 12 or 13 working in there. They where wearing shirts that said "Fibertown Engineering" and "Fibertown Development" These guys are also responsible for the current renovations of the old Woolworth building and the recently complete Managed Network Solutions building. As far as the LaSalle, That is correct, the hotel has been running in the black for probably a year or more, I remember an article in the Eagle about it.

• 1 month later...
The Queen is being renovated right now, we walked past the front of the building the other day, they had the doors wide open, and had a crew of about 12 or 13 working in there. They where wearing shirts that said "Fibertown Engineering" and "Fibertown Development" These guys are also responsible for the current renovations of the old Woolworth building and the recently complete Managed Network Solutions building. As far as the LaSalle, That is correct, the hotel has been running in the black for probably a year or more, I remember an article in the Eagle about it.

I also saw at the Queen Theater the renovations. Do you know what will become of it? It doesn't appear to be for sale or lease on the downtown Bryan website as it once was. The dinner movie theater is a great idea. I live in an old, 1900 historic house right across from downtown Bryan and would love to hear of any updates on what is happening down there.

I also see the old mansion on WJ Bryan across from downtown is for sale. The inside is full of antiques but completely delapidated and falling apart. I think it has been empty for many years. It is on the historical register and I believe is currently being sold to be completely renovated. Another plus for the area.

• 4 weeks later...

hey, i found this forum searching for more info on randall spradley and fibertown since i've been doing some dealings with him recently. i didn't know the astin group owned all those buildings. i played at the queen theater in mid-january, and there wasn't any construction, so i assume it was done. it looks like the entire outside had been renovated from the seats and flooring and bathrooms to the gates and ticket booth areas. but the stage and those areas had been left untouched. it was definitely not new or renovated or anything in there, but it was really cool. inside the stage area is huge. but they really do need to be doing more with it right now like indie films and more local music. has anything been going on there on those friday nights, i think the first friday of the month when they have arthouses and other stuff to do around downtown?

hey, i found this forum searching for more info on randall spradley and fibertown since i've been doing some dealings with him recently. i didn't know the astin group owned all those buildings. i played at the queen theater in mid-january, and there wasn't any construction, so i assume it was done. it looks like the entire outside had been renovated from the seats and flooring and bathrooms to the gates and ticket booth areas. but the stage and those areas had been left untouched. it was definitely not new or renovated or anything in there, but it was really cool. inside the stage area is huge. but they really do need to be doing more with it right now like indie films and more local music. has anything been going on there on those friday nights, i think the first friday of the month when they have arthouses and other stuff to do around downtown?

You seem to be referring to the Palace Theater...the amphitheater on Main Street that was converted by the city of Bryan a few years ago from the collapsed Palace Movie Theater. They removed everything but the stage and built all new seating, ticket booths, gates, etc. The Queen Theater is located more or less across Main Street and its the one with the large crown on top of the sign stating Queen. Its been vacant for decades. It appears that Spradley's Astin Group...aka Fibertown, has purchased the Queen with plans to renovate it into office or retail space. I hope they can restore the crown on top of the sign which from what I've heard used to be covered in neon lights and rotate.

dscn2808.jpg

dscn3022.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I was just looking at my own post and noticed the picture showing the west side of South Main (the one with the Queen) contains at least three buildings that seem like they could be replaced fairly easily. They're all one story, squatty structures that don't appear to have any historical significance. I only point this out b/c I'm curious if it would be possible, should someone have the interest to do so, for them to be demolished and replaced with taller, larger structures. You could have some of the only new buildings in Downtown Bryan and could provide retail, office & residential space. I'm not talking skycrapers...just two, three or four story structures. I'm sure there'd be some issues with demolition and construction adjacent to buildings that are nearing or are over 100 years of age but it sure would be a wonderful addition. If only I had the money!

• 4 months later...
I heard that we are geting a Hotters here. I also heard that Papa's Burgers was going to go into the Red Lobster location and Red Lobster was looking for a new location. Mabe they will come to Bryan, though I don't think that will happen.

TGI Friday's should locate in Bryan since we don't have one.

I think that downtown Bryan could use some namebrand retail. But in my opinion I do not like downtown Bryan, it has always given me a bad vibe. If you think about it there is nothing there and the ammediate sourroundings are slums.

First off, it's really cool to hear about development and things that are going on with BCS. The area has really grown since I was there and left.

When I was going to A&M, I lived in Bryan for a few years, 01 to 03. I enjoyed it and liked the charm that Bryan had. Your assertion that the solution to everything lies with chain stores is wrong. Sure, it helps to increase the tax base, but you have to give those businesses a reason to come in the first place. Bryan is only now starting to show signs of forward thinking. So we'll see what happens. It's not College Station's fault that they provide a more attractive location for businesses. Change your attitude, and other Bryanites as well, and maybe things will take a turn for the better. But please shut up already with the whining. Oh, and I can guarantee that Hooters will not be coming to Bryan. It'll end up being in College Station or not at all. Why the hell would they put it in Bryan?

First off, it's really cool to hear about development and things that are going on with BCS. The area has really grown since I was there and left.

When I was going to A&M, I lived in Bryan for a few years, 01 to 03. I enjoyed it and liked the charm that Bryan had. Your assertion that the solution to everything lies with chain stores is wrong. Sure, it helps to increase the tax base, but you have to give those businesses a reason to come in the first place. Bryan is only now starting to show signs of forward thinking. So we'll see what happens. It's not College Station's fault that they provide a more attractive location for businesses. Change your attitude, and other Bryanites as well, and maybe things will take a turn for the better. But please shut up already with the whining. Oh, and I can guarantee that Hooters will not be coming to Bryan. It'll end up being in College Station or not at all. Why the hell would they put it in Bryan?

Not to say that Bryan isn't improving, it has improved alot in the past 2 years, but it still has a look of ketchup work to do.

OK let me stop you, if you didnt grow up in the so called (slums) dont' say a thing about it cause you dont know anything about thearea, FIRST STOP STOP STOP comparing Bryan to College Station so what College Station has (alot) of new little strip malls and places for college students to live, it is a college town and reaching out to the students.... SECOND why do people always love talking about Bryan so what if it has illegals mexicans wake up so does the rest of Texas and the south west in general also the so called (slums) you and the rest of Bryan bashers keep talking about houses people who dont have money to buy houses in Tiffany Park, Carter Creek, Traditions they didn't build the houses the city did, you people dont no nothing about Bryan you just see places like East and West Mlk and you judge THIRD if you dont have anything positive to say shut up and let Bryan be Bryan and College Station be College Station

Regarding the previous posts, College Station is a College Town, their businesses are catering to the college community, and always will. They have Texas A&M, 40,000+ students, well over half of the city's population! I am a lifetime Bryan resident, I reside on the middle-class north side. Bryan always has been, and always will be a family community, and, around St. Joseph retirement community. Therfore, Bryan will probably only tend to attract the family oriented businesses, thats a good thing. The development on Booneville and Highway 6 is a start, once Old Reliance is widened next year, and the bridge gets flipped and widened, that corner will too develop.

Now, Back on topic.... (Sorry Admins)

Does anyone know when the start of the Downtown Phase II on Bryan street is supposed to begin? I was under the impression that this was to have already started by now. Perhaps the city has ran into funding issues? Just seems like they are taking their time on this one.

Does anyone know when the start of the Downtown Phase II on Bryan street is supposed to begin? I was under the impression that this was to have already started by now. Perhaps the city has ran into funding issues? Just seems like they are taking their time on this one

Sorry for getting off topic, but to your question the news did a story this week and Phase II starts next month and it will be intersting to see how they transform Bryan Ave. into a similar looking Main Street. giving that Bryan Ave. is an alley that the city officals said was built a long time ago for the purpose to bring people into the back of Main Street. business it will be something to see unfold also i am looking forward to see how downtown rejuvenates business from East 24th on north to MLk in the later Phases, right now it kinda look like 2 different downtowns once you cross East 24th on North but once everything is complete it will do wonders for Bryan

Downtown would look a lot nicer if the courthouse was demolished and redesigned with modern architecture. I also think a private developer should level the buildings along North Main Street and North Bryan street between 23rd and 24th. Those buildings are all shoddy and falling apart do to poor maintenance over the decades. I think that would be a good area for modern office buildings to take shape. All in all downtown is becoming the crown jewel of Bryan, much as it once was in the late 1800's Perhaps in a few more years it will become a premier shopping destination. I would like to see a starbucks, a Walgreens and some locally owned specialty shops set up. Downtown needs variety. Some electronics stores, more eating places, some trendy clothing stores ect. Similar to Old Town Spring with a Bryan twist. Anyway, thats my two cents. Wonder when the design for the 6-story parking garage at the courthouse will be complete?

So that's what there building on Texas Ave. across from the A.M/P.M. clinic? I thought that was going to be something else

No, the spot your thinking of is where the City of Bryan is soon to be building the new police station/municipal court. The parking garage is to be built on the current county parking lots at 26th Street and Washington Ave are. It's primary use is as a parking structure with 1000 spaces for visitors of downtown and the courthouse. It will also double as a bus terminal for the Brazos Transit District (Whom is building the garage) And I can recall several years ago, when the idea was first pitched, that it would have businesess on the first floor. Some things mentioned were a coffee shop, eatery ect. I dont know if that is still in the works though. Kind of similar the the parking structure at St. Joseph in regard to ground floor businesess.

A proposed transit and parking garage adjacent to the Brazos County Courthouse moved closer to reality last week when the U.S. House approved its transportation bill.

However, the project is not part of the Senate version of the bill.

John McBeth, director of the region

I think this article refers to what you meant, and in my opinion something had to happen because the article is from early 2003 and in it was stated the completion in 2006 and i haven't noticed any construction in that area but who know's 2006 not finish yet maybe it could happen

Thats one of them... Check this one out...

Updated 6:36 AM on Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Bryan garage plan gets federal funding

By CRAIG KAPITAN

Eagle Staff Writer

Construction could begin as early as next spring on a six-story, $12.1 million parking garage across the street from the Brazos County Courthouse, a regional transportation official told commissioners Tuesday.

The District - a government organization that provides public transportation services for 16 counties, including Brazos - has been working on the project for about five years now. But recent approval of federal funding for the garage has now put plans on the fast track, according to District general manager John McBeth.

The agency began soliciting bids for design proposals last weekend. A design firm should be selected by the end of the summer, with final plans ready for the facility by January 2007, McBeth said.

If all goes according to plan, The District could then award a construction contract by March 2007, clearing the way for construction to begin.

In his presentation, McBeth estimated the construction process will take nine months to one year - pushing the possible completion date to early 2008. When finished, the garage should be able to accommodate up to 1,000 vehicles belonging to county employees, courthouse visitors and residents visiting the revitalized downtown Bryan shopping area.

In addition to the six-story garage, the development will house a two-story, 21,000 square-foot office building that will contain the county's probation department, a commercial bus terminal and businesses such as coffee shops and dry cleaners, McBeth said.

It would take up two blocks, including the locations of the current courthouse parking lot and the county's probation department. The facility will be built over a portion of Washington Avenue, McBeth said.

However, the buildings will not be higher than the Brazos County Courthouse, he said, explaining that it will be built to look more like an office building than a garage.

It is important to get construction started as soon as possible, McBeth told commissioners, explaining that one year ago the project was estimated to be about $9.2 million. The $3 million price increase is because of escalating costs for concrete and other construction materials, he said.

So far, The District has obtained federal and state grants to garner about half of the current $12.1 million price tag. It's enough money to start borrowing money from private lenders while The District works to obtain additional federal funding, McBeth said.

Brazos County has not been asked to provide cash for the project, but it has donated the land the garage will be built on.

Once construction begins, McBeth said The District will set up a shuttle system for courthouse employees and visitors whose parking spots will be temporarily displaced.

"We don't want to do anything during the construction period that's going to interfere with anything going on at the courthouse," he explained.

The District also will provide a temporary home for the probation department, even if that means paying the county for use of a building it already operates, McBeth said. Commissioners have suggested housing the department on a temporary basis at nearby First Baptist Church, which commissioners agreed to buy last year for future courthouse expansion.

The District has not yet determined if it will charge for parking at the garage, although parking definitely will be free for courthouse employees and jurors, McBeth said. If others are charged, it will only be after a parking commission is formed that includes representatives from Bryan and Brazos County.

"This was a project that when we first announced it oh-so-many years ago, everybody thought we were nuts," McBeth said as he began his presentation Tuesday.

But these days his plans seem to have garnered strong support from local officials. U.S. Rep. Chet Edwards, who helped get about $3 million in federal funding for the project, has said in the past that having the project completed might eventually help the county in its decades-long effort to procure a federal courthouse.

"I think that's really good news," County Judge Randy Sims said at the end of McBeth's Tuesday presentation. "It's going to certainly help us."

• 4 weeks later...

From a City of Bryan get connected e-mail:

Phase Two construction set to begin Monday

Downtown Master Plan switches focus from Main Street to Bryan Avenue

The western half of Bryan Avenue, from 23rd Street to William Joel Bryan Parkway, will close beginning Monday, July 24, as Phase Two of the City of Bryan

• 4 months later...

Bryan to consider reinvestment zone

By APRIL AVISON

Eagle Staff Writer

The Bryan City Council will review this week a proposal that would allow some of the property taxes collected in downtown Bryan to pay for new construction.

Sixty downtown property owners have signed a petition circulated by the Downtown Bryan Economic Development Association asking the council to establish a tax increment reinvestment zone, also known as a TIRZ.

Once the zone is established, the city can use tax increment financing to repay debt issued for projects within the established zone. The money comes from the rise in property value, or increment, the zone produces each year.

Property values in the proposed zone have increased an average of $13 million over the past six years, according to a report by PLUS Planning consulting firm.

The proposed zone covers 259 acres, bound by Martin Luther King Jr. Street to the north, Texas Avenue to the east, 30th Street to the south and Sims Avenue to the west. The zone also includes properties along the South College Avenue corridor, which is considered a gateway into the downtown area.

Those proposing the downtown zone have projected about $25 million worth of projects could be accomplished over a 20-year period.

Such a project is commonly referred to as a TIF, or tax increment financing zone. Bryan has two active TIFs - one in the Park Hudson business park and another in Traditions golf and residential community. The City Council in July appointed an advisory board to oversee what's known as the Burton Creek TIF, which covers an area near William Joel Bryan Parkway and Villa Maria Road. A master plan is under review by the advisory board. When the plan is produced, it - along with financial projections - will be subject to City Council approval.

The Bryan City Council will hold a public hearing on the proposed downtown TIRZ at its 6 p.m. meeting Tuesday. A second reading of the ordinance is planned for a special meeting, scheduled for 8 a.m. Thursday.

The plan

If property values in a TIF zone don't rise, the city would have to dip into its general fund to cover costs. Therefore, the funding mechanism can pose a risk if it's in an area where there's no guarantee of development.

But establishment of the downtown TIF zone poses no financial risk to the city because it doesn't require any immediate funding commitments. Establishing a downtown TIF zone will bring key community players together to discuss the future of the area as an economic engine for Bryan, according to Randall Spradley, a developer who supports the measure.

Spradley said he can guarantee the investment will pay off, because he's personally planning $6 million in projects in downtown next year.

"The $6 million in new projects will immediately fund the TIRZ," he said. "If the TIRZ is not in place in 2006, the city will forfeit $6 million TIRZ value."

Randall Spradley (left), vice president at Astin Redevelopment, and Katie Blanchard of the Downtown Bryan Economic Development Assosiation believe the downtown area will benefit from a TIRZ.

The property tax increment collected by the city can go toward future phases of Bryan's downtown master plan, Spradley said.

"Once you have a TIRZ established, you create a business plan, and these projects can be funded incrementally over time," he said. "A TIRZ depoliticizes the funding. It increases developer confidence."

Some of the projects identified in Bryan's master plan include underground utility installation, streetscape projects, a civic park, gateway signage, detention pond, Carnegie Plaza fountain and other beautification efforts.

"We have identified $25 million worth of possible projects in order to complete the vision of the master plan," said Katie Blanchard, who chairs the economic development committee for the downtown association. "All we're doing right now is just establishing the zone. We can take years to talk about the projects we want to fund. The zone has to happen by statute before TIF funding can be discussed."

More information about the plan for the downtown TIF proposal is posted at www.downtowntif.com.

Guidelines

The City Council has been discussing for the past few months a formal policy for establishing TIF zones. A vote is scheduled at Tuesday's council meeting.

The purpose of the policy is to provide a template for property owners and developers considering petitioning Bryan for a TIF zone, said Director of Special Projects David Storrie, who is preparing the draft. No formal guidelines are in place governing the establishment of a TIF.

If Storrie's policy is adopted, those seeking a TIF zone would have to submit a construction timeline, development budget and cash flow projections. Such an analysis has been prepared by the downtown group, and will be presented before the council during Tuesday's public hearing.

According to the state tax code, a TIF may be initiated if it meets one of three criteria. One criterion set out in the code, which the downtown TIF supporters say their plan meets, is that the area's present condition must substantially impair the city's growth.

The reason the northern part of downtown is considered an undeveloped blighted area is partially due to a lack of long-term planning, Spradley said. It's not the fact that Twin City Mission's homeless shelter is in the downtown area, he said. In fact, it could be argued that the mission's presence downtown has kept property values low, Spradley said.

"People have claimed the mission is the reason development has stopped," Spradley said. "Don't buy into that myth. It's quite the opposite."

The northern section of downtown has remained blighted simply because there hasn't been an economic development tool, like tax increment financing, in place to spark construction, he said.

"The northern part of downtown is the textbook, almost the poster child, of the best use for a TIF, according to state of Texas guidelines," Spradley said. "The whole community would benefit."

• 1 year later...

For anyone who travels downtown often I'd guess the fact that Doe's Steakhouse closed down is no big surprise. Though their other US locations appear to have done well this one just never caught on. The atmosphere was sparse and didn't really draw anyone back there from my and other's experience.

However, whats taking Doe's place might be better in the long run. Opening soon is "River Bridge" which is the newest venue opened by the successful owners of the Koppe Bridge locations in College Station. Apparently they're taking the theme thats worked well at the other two locations and upgrading it a bit to include steaks and other finer dining items as well as a bar.

I think its a great addition to Downtown Bryan and the Howell Building and most likely has a better chance at success given the investment made in the interior and the owners' knowledge of the local market.

I'm sure the following website will be updated soon to include more info:

www.koppebridge.com

For anyone who travels downtown often I'd guess the fact that Doe's Steakhouse closed down is no big surprise. Though their other US locations appear to have done well this one just never caught on. The atmosphere was sparse and didn't really draw anyone back there from my and other's experience.

However, whats taking Doe's place might be better in the long run. Opening soon is "River Bridge" which is the newest venue opened by the successful owners of the Koppe Bridge locations in College Station. Apparently they're taking the theme thats worked well at the other two locations and upgrading it a bit to include steaks and other finer dining items as well as a bar.

I think its a great addition to Downtown Bryan and the Howell Building and most likely has a better chance at success given the investment made in the interior and the owners' knowledge of the local market.

I'm sure the following website will be updated soon to include more info:

www.koppebridge.com

That's good to here, I never got a chance to eat at Does.

• 1 month later...

A couple of articles about early planning for a mixed-use project in north Downtown Bryan, one from December, the next from early March:

Bryan Council OKs property purchase

By APRIL AVISON

Eagle Staff Writer

full article

The Bryan City Council agreed Tuesday to spend almost $2 million on downtown property, announcing plans to develop 3.28 acres as retail, residential and office space. A $100 million mixed-use development is ultimately anticipated, City Manager David Watkins said, adding that the land could be developed through a partnership with The Lawrence Group, which is based in St. Louis.

The City Council approved contracts on 10 properties between Main Street and Bryan Avenue and along Martin Luther King Jr. Street. The properties include a former Food Town grocery store, a 19,000-square-foot ice house built in 1912, a barber shop, a few vacant lots and Trinity Holy Temple. Twin City Mission is next to the land purchased by the city, but Bryan officials are negotiating a plan to relocate the agency, Watkins said. About $3.5 million is budgeted for downtown land purchases in the 2008 fiscal year.

The land purchase announced Tuesday offers the city an opportunity to control future downtown development and spur economic growth, according to city documents.

"We're trying to secure the downtown area so we can have a hand in who does what, where," Councilman Mike Southerland said.

The land purchase is a "big deal," Watkins said this week, explaining that Bryan officials are committed to investing in the downtown area. "I've never seen a city reach its potential when it ignores a historic downtown," Watkins said. "Downtown Bryan is our heart and soul. It's how people judge a city. You can't have a vibrant community without a heart and without a soul."

Revitalizing the downtown district was established as a goal more than six years ago, when a master plan was developed, said Deputy City Manager Joey Dunn. "In past phases of the master plan, we put an emphasis on downtown south," Dunn said. "Now we're putting our emphasis on areas north of 23rd Street to MLK. We're calling that our new frontier, but really, it's been in the master plan for years. This is the effort to do what that plan calls for, which is redevelopment and infill on the north end of downtown."

While the effort on the south end of downtown involved "keeping together the original buildings," the north end provides an opportunity for "clearing and rebuilding," Dunn said. "In order to do that, you've got to assemble land," he said.

City officials said Tuesday their goal is to create a multi-million-dollar mixed-use development that includes residential, retail and office space -- but no specific plans have been agreed upon, Watkins and Dunn said.

"There's interest, but we have not reached agreements with specific developers," Dunn said.

Downtown developer Randall Spradley said he has been working for four years to encourage a public-private partnership to spark construction on the vacant land. Spradley said his company, Astin Partners, isn't planning to develop the property.

"The Lawrence Group is an award-winning high-density, mixed-use urban redeveloper," he said, touting the firm that is in talks with city officials. "This is a good thing. This property assembly is conservative, rational and appropriate."

Bryan agrees to buy land

By APRIL AVISON

Eagle Staff Writer

Full Article

The Bryan City Council entered a $2.1 million contract Monday to buy the Twin City Mission's downtown shelter and help the agency relocate. The mission's properties on Main Street and Bryan Avenue are adjacent to 3.28 acres the city purchased in December for about $2 million. The city is assembling the acreage downtown to market it for a $100 million retail, office and residential development. Once the Twin City land deal and a pending contract with Habitat for Humanity are finalized, Bryan will own about 6 1/2 blocks in the northern part of the downtown area, Mayor Mark Conlee said Monday.

"Any time we have developers come in and they have to deal with multiple landowners and multiple lots, we could lose them," Conlee said, explaining that the city has now assembled more than 12 individual properties. "We want all that out of the way. We want clean titles and a piece of land where we can say we've created an environment that's ready for development to occur."

City Manager David Watkins has met with St. Louis-developer The Lawrence Group, which specializes in downtown redevelopment, but no agreements have been entered.

"We want high-density mixed use," Conlee said Monday. "We want to facilitate this for a developer and make it easier for them."

City officials also are attempting to make transition easier for the Twin City Mission, Deputy City Manager Joey Dunn said Monday. Bryan agreed to lease shelter space to the mission for $10 per month until April 2009. The mission is raising money to build a new $5.5 million building near Sims and 31st streets. The agency already owns the land -- which is within walking distance of downtown Bryan -- but still needs more than $3 million to cover building costs, Weedon said.

The city agreed Monday to pay about $600,000 to the mission for its downtown property, $400,000 for relocation expenses and $1 million toward constructing the new facility. Bryan also agreed to put up $100,000 as interest money so the agency can obtain a construction loan if necessary. "Today was about more than just downtown," Dunn said. "We're the first entity to step up and be part of [the mission's] capital campaign. This is certainly a win-win for everybody."

The city isn't finished with its work. Two more properties are needed to complete the land assembly, Dunn said. Bryan administrators are negotiating with the owners, Habitat for Humanity, to buy two lots on West 22nd Street.

There's no timeline for when the mixed-use project will be constructed, Dunn said. "We can start as soon as we get a developer in place," he said.

The City Council adopted a master plan for downtown Bryan in 2001. The southern end of the district has been redeveloped to preserve historic facades, while plans for the north end call for bulldozing some of the older properties to pave the way for new development, officials said Monday. John Hendry, executive director of the Downtown Bryan Economic Development Association, said purchasing property on the north end of the district is "a good move for everyone."

"It should speed up the redevelopment of north downtown by the private sector, which will complement the ongoing revitalization we have seen in the southern half of downtown," he said. "Our association is very pleased to see the proactive steps by the city to enhance redevelopment opportunities."

Mayor Conlee said investing in downtown makes sense because the area is "the heart of the community."

"It's our history. It's our culture. It's our flavor of the city," Conlee said. "It's cool to be downtown now."

• 1 month later...

Archived