And so, the cycle begins for another neighborhood

jm1fd

I noticed this morning on my way to work that we've had our first teardown here in Shepherd Forest. I'm both happy and sad. Happy, because this probably means big appreciation for my property. Sad because the neighborhood will be forever changed by the coming tide of McMansions.

I noticed this morning on my way to work that we've had our first teardown here in Shepherd Forest. I'm both happy and sad. Happy, because this probably means big appreciation for my property. Sad because the neighborhood will be forever changed by the coming tide of McMansions.

that is a shame - maybe it's just one doofus? (although we know how one can get the log rolling for the rest) :mellow:

i guess it is better to know if it is a developer or an individual that did the deed.

that happened in my old neighborhood (it might not have been a first, but the neighborhood was pretty "pure") - new construction began on an empty lot, and they even had a variance request, but it turned out to be quite a modest house.

here's to hoping...

that is a shame - maybe it's just one doofus? (although we know how one can get the log rolling for the rest) :mellow:

i guess it is better to know if it is a developer or an individual that did the deed.

that happened in my old neighborhood (it might not have been a first, but the neighborhood was pretty "pure") - new construction began on an empty lot, and they even had a variance request, but ti turned out to be a quite modest house.

here's to hoping...

We've already had our first McMansion go up on a vacant lot at the corner of 31st and the 610 feeder. This house represents the first time (that I'm aware of) that what appeared to be a perfectly useful house has been torn down (presumably for redevelopment). It'll be interesting to see what happens.

The fire started in Garden Oaks, then Oak Forest now Shep Forest. It's becoming like West U up there.

Actually I'd say it started in the Heights before all that. But yeah, the logical conclusion, since SF is directly between the heights and GO/OF, is for SF to become just as nice.

I looked up the permits for the property, they pulled the sewer disconnect less than a week ago. And the name on the permit doesn't match what HCAD shows, so I guess it changed hands recently. I'm surprised it got torn down...seeing as how HCAD shows it as 1500 sqft. Must've had some problems, or whoever sold it let it go for CHEAP.

It seems the whole GO/OF/SO area is really starting to pick up steam.

Actually, it's been steaming along for quite some time now. I bought my 1st home In Garden Oaks in '93 - and there were already several teardowns/new homes going in. The pace just seems to have picked up over the years. While I will agree that the McMansions some build can be disruptive to the 'feel' of the neighborhood - I saw many that did fit in with the architecture of the old neighborhood. Regardless, one thing was sure - property values GOING UP! As a homeowner, I was happy to see it.

In '93 I purchased a 1700 sqft home on Sue Barnett in Garden Oaks for $84,000. It needed a LOT of TLC. Over the years, I put about another $80,000 into it (new kitchen, baths, etc...). In 2004 we sold it for $250,000. Yes, I was happy to see the increase in property values. ;)

It seems the whole GO/OF/SO area is really starting to pick up steam.

I'm scared to see what HCAD appraises us at next year, since it already increased exponentially last year.

Yeah...HCAD bumped me to $10k over purchase price the first year. I protested and got it down to purchase price minus several thousand in repairs. I'll go in again with pictures of repairs and updates that need to be made, and hopefully minimize any increases, although that strategy will yield fewer results as the lot becomes worth more and more, and the house becomes worth less and less.

I had been thinking I'd sell after 2 years and take some profit, but since seeing the teardown, I'm thinking I might rent it out instead....espescially if another teardown or two pop up.

sorry about that jm1fd. I know it makes your heart sink a bit, doesn't it? Change sucks sometimes.

I'm not *that* bummed out about it. Yes, it is a pretty nice collection of period houses, but there are several other clusters of houses from the same period, with much finer examples, such as Glenbrook and Sharpstown. Besides...I look at the bright side...APPRECIATION.

paying an exorbitant amount of money to leave in a piece of poorly built and designed crap, which in my opinion, is the majority of what goes up these days.

I gotcha.

But really, who's to say what's expensive, or "exorbitant"?

Doesn't the market dictate what's reasonable?

flipper

I gotcha.

But really, who's to say what's expensive, or "exorbitant"?

Doesn't the market dictate what's reasonable?

flipper

of course - that's why i mentioned i was having a hard time comprehending it (with my opinion of what is reasonable, etc) - not that it wasn't actually happening, or people weren't making big bucks off of it

Actually, it's been steaming along for quite some time now. I bought my 1st home In Garden Oaks in '93 - and there were already several teardowns/new homes going in. The pace just seems to have picked up over the years. While I will agree that the McMansions some build can be disruptive to the 'feel' of the neighborhood - I saw many that did fit in with the architecture of the old neighborhood. Regardless, one thing was sure - property values GOING UP! As a homeowner, I was happy to see it.

You're right. The links to HAR below show pretty steady growth since 1994, with the exception of a slight downturn for Shepherd Forest the last couple years. Perhaps a lot of factors are now combining to make it appear a lot more activity is taking place (i.e. people wanting to live closer in due to gas prices, the older homes in the area are nearing the end of their life cycle, etc.)?

Garden Oaks

Oak Forest

Shepherd Forest

Very close to me a builder demolished a VERY decrepid house, and are now putting up this home for $379K! Up, up, up! :)

• 1 month later...

You're right. The links to HAR below show pretty steady growth since 1994, with the exception of a slight downturn for Shepherd Forest the last couple years. Perhaps a lot of factors are now combining to make it appear a lot more activity is taking place (i.e. people wanting to live closer in due to gas prices, the older homes in the area are nearing the end of their life cycle, etc.)?

Garden Oaks

Oak Forest

Shepherd Forest

Hello,

I'm new to the forum today. Over the weekend, I drove all over Houston in anticipation of moving there when I retire in 2-3 years. I want to be near my Dad and quite frankly, I'm bored with Austin (please don't tell any Austinites!!). Houston is a real city and has so much going on that I want to be part of the excitement of that city.

Anyway, I drove through the Garden Oaks/Oak Forest area, and really liked it. Question, though...some of the commercial districts look a bit rough, like W. 34th. Has that been a problem? The neighborhoods look great, though.

Another question: does anyone know the Timbergrove Estates neighborhood off of 11th? It's an older area (40's or 50's) and I was really taken with it. It's immediately west of the Heights. I didn't see any tear downs, which surprised me for such a beautiful neighborhood (the trees are amazing).

Thanks!

Dave

I'm new to the forum today. Over the weekend, I drove all over Houston in anticipation of moving there when I retire in 2-3 years. I want to be near my Dad and quite frankly, I'm bored with Austin (please don't tell any Austinites!!). Houston is a real city and has so much going on that I want to be part of the excitement of that city.

Anyway, I drove through the Garden Oaks/Oak Forest area, and really liked it. Question, though...some of the commercial districts look a bit rough, like W. 34th. Has that been a problem? The neighborhoods look great, though.

Another question: does anyone know the Timbergrove Estates neighborhood off of 11th? It's an older area (40's or 50's) and I was really taken with it. It's immediately west of the Heights. I didn't see any tear downs, which surprised me for such a beautiful neighborhood (the trees are amazing).

The only real crime problems I'm aware of are in Garden Oaks, east of Shepherd. They get lots of crime coming in from the ghetto east of Yale.

34th doesn't look pretty, but as far as I know, it isn't too bad, with the exception of Carter's Grove at the corner of 34th and Shepherd.

Do you mean Timbergrove Manor? I'm not aware of a Timbergrove Estates. Parts of Timbergrove flood...check ANYTHING you're thinking about buying at maps.tsarp.org

Timbergrove is nice, but you can get the same for less in Shepherd Forest and Oak Forest....definetly something to consider with property taxes as high as they are.

This has always been my only complaint about this area. I wish there was better developed (or re-developed) commercial to support this area. I somewhat feel the same about the Heights too. I always expect to find a more consolidated, urban shopping area in the Heights, maybe something similar to a smaller version of Rice Village, but of course never do.

Commercial (re)development would set GO/SF/OF on fire.

This has always been my only complaint about this area. I wish there was better developed (or re-developed) commercial to support this area. I somewhat feel the same about the Heights too. I always expect to find a more consolidated, urban shopping area in the Heights, maybe something similar to a smaller version of Rice Village, but of course never do.

It could very well happen along 34th. There are at least two fairly good sized parcels for sale on 34th, one of which is Carter's Grove...or at least it was for sale a while back. 43rd is already seeing a big transformation in OF, around the Kroger.

True about the Heights. Way behind in commercial re-development. Many of the used car lots on Shepherd are now empty and up for sale but no one seems to know what to do with the area. Anxious to see what the first projects will be.

It could very well happen along 34th. There are at least two fairly good sized parcels for sale on 34th, one of which is Carter's Grove...or at least it was for sale a while back. 43rd is already seeing a big transformation in OF, around the Kroger.

I haven't driven 43rd since they tore that bank down at Ella. Have they done more with that shopping center? They could do so much with that area if redeveloped properly.

Do you mean Timbergrove Manor? I'm not aware of a Timbergrove Estates. Parts of Timbergrove flood...check ANYTHING you're thinking about buying at maps.tsarp.org

The neighborhood had an entry sign saying Timbergrove Estates. I saw Timbergrove Manor as well. Timbergrove Estates is a small neighborhood of fairly old, but nice houses, just east of T.C. Jester and north of 11th.

I haven't driven 43rd since they tore that bank down at Ella. Have they done more with that shopping center? They could do so much with that area if redeveloped properly.

Yes, the old shopping center to the East of Kroger has been torn down. I haven't paid attention to the sign up front, but I think construction is planned to be complete summer 07.

I was nicely surprised that Chase did not turn the area where the bank used to be into a parking lot, but instead planted grass and a couple small trees.

Like someone else mentioned, only when you get East of Shepherd does the area get "rough." The areas along 34th don't really affect OF/GO too much. For the most part, those apartments are filled with families just trying to get along, with the occasional riff-raff.

I can't say enough good things about the area. :)

Like someone else mentioned, only when you get East of Shepherd does the area get "rough." The areas along 34th don't really affect OF/GO too much. For the most part, those apartments are filled with families just trying to get along, with the occasional riff-raff.

I'm sure for the most part that's true...but the people who live in the new townhouses built next door to Carter's Grove have had to patch BULLET HOLES in their ROOVES because of the shootouts at CG.

I think it's just following the typical time frame where the demographics of the area get upgraded then the retail follows piecemeal. It would be quicker if the area wasn't surrounded by lower income areas. Rice Military, for example, is surrounded by areas that made retail upgrades less of a risk, and so that area went into full-community conversion rather quickly.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived