Katz's Deli & Bar The Woodlands

Boris

Katz's to open Express deli in The Woodlands

Houston Business Journal - 2:16 PM CDT Tuesdayby Allison WollamStaff Writer

Katz's Deli owner Barry Katz is opening the first spin-off of his New York-style deli in The Woodlands.

Katz's Express, located at 19075 Interstate 45 North in the Portofino Center, will open on Sept. 15.

The restaurant will serve same fare found at Houston's Katz's Deli and Bar, located at 616 Westheimer, but with express service.

"Everybody kept asking me, 'When are you going to open in the suburbs?,' So this is our way to bring pastrami to more people," Katz says.

http://houston.bizjournals.com/houston/sto...tml?jst=b_ln_hl

Well, now you can have overpriced sandwiches in the Woodlands also.

• 4 weeks later...

Went yesterday; nice looking place, friendly staff, good atmosphere.

Had grilled pastrami on rye with sauteed onions, mushrooms, and cheese.

Partner had the French dip. Both came with home-made potato chips.

Loved everything, will be back very soon. Hope they do well there. :)

I Love Katz's!

They have a website, and it has recently been updated! YEA! :D

From their brochure/menu I picked up, the hours are:

Sunday - Thursday (11 a.m. to 11 p.m.)

Friday & Saturday (11 a.m. to 1 a.m.)

Located I-45 North in Portofino Center

Phone: 936-321-1880

Fax: 936-273-1806

One funny aside:

The day we went, the cute little teenage girl running the register was wrinkling up her nose when we walked up. I asked what was wrong, if she had a cold or something. She said she just couldn't stand the smell of sauerkraut! :D I told her that she would either have to learn to overcome her aversion or find another job, because there's a lot of sauerkraut going out on those Reubens! Love it!

• 2 weeks later...

Went back today right when it opened at 11:00 a.m.

Had the Reuben with corned beef & sauerkraut; it was fantastic!

Partner had the Nathan's Famous dog with onions; perfectly done also.

Only noticed three potential minor problems;

1. Just two registers are not enough to handle the lunch business crowd. Might want to consider having a staff person takes pre-orders on a slip of paper, then give it back to the customer, so person at register can easily and quickly ring up order, without waiting for person ordering to make up their minds.

2. First center-aisle booth table not properly bolted down, needs to fixed a.s.a.p. before someone sues.

3. Spanish-speaking-only busboys did not understand (or pretended not to understand) when they were asked to stop spinning their wringing wet dishtowels on their index fingers. I think they thought they were being entertaining. However, Montgomery County Health Dept. officials won't be so amused by this.

Other than those minor problems, all was fine. The busboys keep close eyes on tables, and re-fill sodas without being asked. Food comes out hot, fresh and quick. Keep up the good work, Barry & crew! :D

since katz' has opened in the woodlands, i've been craving a sandwich. i found myself on lower westheimer at lunch time on wednesday and had to stop for a turkey & swiss on rye with a potato knish (sp?) at that location. i haven't had a knish since ohhh, 1989 in NYC. i'm glad to have katz' in the woodlands and hope for my next craving to be satisfied locally.

thanks for all the info guys.

• 2 weeks later...
no, i don't think it is. the woodlands was a utopian experiment. market forces are the rule of the day now. the primary ideology that created the woodlands is dead. there are elements of it that exist, but the sensitivity to diversity and mixed incomes is definitely over. :(
shenandoah and oak ridge will always be mistaken as "the woodlands". the woodlands is too well known. shenandoah and oak ridge will always seem like suburbs of the woodlands.

Suburbs of the Woodlands? I like the Woodlands a lot and all, but that is way too egocentric if the residents really see it that way.

Suburbs of the Woodlands? I like the Woodlands a lot and all, but that is way too egocentric if the residents really see it that way.

i don't see it that way. i think it's more about public perception. when people ask about the new katz', they will say it's in the woodlands although it is actually shenandoah. many of the new businesses popping up in shenandoah advertise that they are in the woodlands.

• The title was changed to Katz's Deli & Bar The Woodlands

Archived