Houston

Dominax

Houston averages rain on 106 days per year. The sun shines 58% of the time, or 212 days.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/weath...uston_texas.htm

We average about 52 inches of rain, far more than Seattle's 37 inches. The difference is that Houston gets REAL rain, versus Seattle's drizzle. Seattle only gets sunshine 58 days a year, but often times it is merely cloudy, not raining. Houston rain is about equal to Atlanta, but less than New Orleans and Miami, which get 60 inches each.

On a side note, my best friends visited from Dallas (Allen) last weekend. All they could talk about was how GREEN it was in the Heights and Houston. Dallas' drought has virtually the entire city brown from lack of water. My friend's suburb of Allen only allows watering of the grass once a week. With 100 degree temps this month, you can imagine how little that helps. The upside is that he hasn't had to mow the grass all summer. It won't grow.

I've had 22.5 inches at my house this year (Sugar Land area) and I think that is below what Bush has had. That's not too far off of the averages. Maybe y'all have just been missing our token Tropical Storm that hasn't come in yet.

• 1 year later...

I find that the perception of the weather is often different from the reality or statistics.

For example, I have a friend who lives in Detroit that swears we get hurricanes and thunderstorms practically daily. When I informed him that the weather her in the winter is actually quite mild and we only get hurricanes that venture into the Gulf of Mexico (statistical long-shots), he was surprised. I also informed him that Houston does not get as many tornadoes as northern Texas cities and he was also surprised.

I think people have perceptions of weather that are just not very accurate.

Now, I did have to agree with him that our summers are a b*tch, but with our mild winters I'd rather have 50-60 temps than being covered in ice and snow as they are right now.

Sometimes I just wish our city would shake rattle and roll. Imagine seeing our downtown skyscrapers swaying in a 4.5 temblor? I would like to see the water splash out of the fountains, cars bouncing. A few aftershocks never hurt none. Kind of neat actually. Reality check of sorts. :D

Sometimes I just wish our city would shake rattle and roll. Imagine seeing our downtown skyscrapers swaying in a 4.5 temblor? I would like to see the water splash out of the fountains, cars bouncing. A few aftershocks never hurt none. Kind of neat actually. Reality check of sorts. :D

I HATE earthquakes. At least you can see a hurricane (and to a lesser degree, a tornado) coming and try to get away from it. No way that's happening in an earthquake. Gawd, they suck.

Archived