Fannin Elementary School At 2900 Louisiana St.

57Tbird

I went to Fannin Elementary School during WWII. Could someone tell me if it is still there? I think it was bounded by Louisiana and Smith and Anita and Tuam. If there, who now occupies it, and could a picture be taken? I would sure like to see if it still looks like I remember it.

Even though this picture is very old (1909), it hadn't changed much between then and when I went, except there were fire escapes that had been added on the sides and back.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y256/57Tbird/Fannin1909.jpg

I went to Fannin Elementary School during WWII. Could someone tell me if it is still there? I think it was bounded by Louisiana and Smith and Anita and Tuam. If there, who now occupies it, and could a picture be taken? I would sure like to see if it still looks like I remember it.

Even though this picture is very old (1909), it hadn't changed much between then and when I went, except there were fire escapes that had been added on the sides and back.

this is the block you described above.

http://www.hcad.org/records/details.asp?ta...t=0132480000001

looks like the galveston houston diocese built an office building there in 1999

and the google aerial:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=ho...010815&t=h&om=1

Edited by gnu

I thought Elementary schools couldn't be higher than two floors.

The bottom windows were actually in the basement, so I don't know if that qualifies as a first floor or not. The floor of the basement was probably about five feet below the windows. Our cafeteria and lunch room were down there, along with all the school plumbing and heating equipment for the water fountains, restrooms, and radiators in the classrooms and offices. Of course there was no A/C back then.

Sad that it has been torn down. I heard that the San Jacinto High School alumni are trying to save their old building that's not too far from there, at Holman and Caroline on the HCC campus, from the same fate.

The bottom windows were actually in the basement, so I don't know if that qualifies as a first floor or not. The floor of the basement was probably about five feet below the windows. Our cafeteria and lunch room were down there, along with all the school plumbing and heating equipment for the water fountains, restrooms, and radiators in the classrooms and offices. Of course there was no A/C back then.

Sad that it has been torn down. I heard that the San Jacinto High School alumni are trying to save their old building that's not too far from there, at Holman and Caroline on the HCC campus, from the same fate.

The San Jacinto High School building is now the main building on HCC campus.

However, two wings of the building that were built in the 60's are scheduled to be demolished.

From the Houston Biz Journal:http://houston.bizjournals.com/houston/sto...ml?surround=lfn

The next major step will involve the demolition of two wings added to the San Jacinto Building in the 1960s, making room for a new Learning Hub/Science Building and a plaza and green space. Designs are currently being prepared for a renovation of the former San Jacinto High School building, built in 1902, which must be executed in compliance with the building's designation as an historic structure.

Houston businessman Alan Finger, who is president of the San Jacinto High School Alumni Association, has pledged to raise $1 million for development of the plaza and green space, which will replace the current parking lot area in front of San Jacinto Building.

57Tbird, Saint Agnes Academy on Fannin would have been near the Fannin School. Was it still standing then?

The San Jacinto High School building is now the main building on HCC campus.

However, two wings of the building that were built in the 60's are scheduled to be demolished.

That's good news. Those wings are awful, and really detract from a great building.

57Tbird, Saint Agnes Academy on Fannin would have been near the Fannin School. Was it still standing then?

Oh, yes! I remember it well. It was just west of San Jacinto High School and not too far from where I lived. It looked like a huge house, more than a school. It was quite a bit further south and east of Fannin El. It was still at its Fannin location, at least into the 50's. Rumor was, at the time I was around there, that it was a school for "bad" girls. I would imagine that, in reality, quite the opposite was true, since it was a private school.

• 11 years later...

I went here for part of Kindergarten, it had a fire and was closed down. I often think of the kids I had in my class. I was reading it closed around 1061 but not possible cause I went to kindergarten till the fire closer to 1965. Still have a book that I had checked out of the library. 

• The title was changed to Fannin Elementary School At 2900 Louisiana St.