Walmart At FM 1093 And Grand Parkway

The atmosphere and mood is just not the same shopping at walmart vs another like target.

Really bright super white lights; that's why I prefer target, better atmosphere, more stylish stuff at about the same prices. But obviously not all targets or walmarts are the same, but most of the walmarts have that starkly white sterile feel. Hopefully this one is not.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1) One of my current coworkers previously worked in the real estate business. She has never a Walmart go up in a specific area where it did not lower the property value (not property taxes).

and

2) Now this is just an opinion, but when you look out of your window in the morning, where you used to see open fields, do you want to be looking at a wall. I know I wouldnt want to.

Also from what I hear about the show, there was a lady on there that was unhappy because she feels that the area will no longer be safe for her kids to bike ride in the neighborhood, so they supposedly will be moving. Now I cant say that I can blame that on the HOA.

I totally understand and have questionioned everything you mentioned. Well, here goes the short version:

We don't have an HOA. Two men decided they wanted to keep farm animals, pens, equipment etc on their personal property. They strong armed our community and previous board, then took positions of President and VP. Two men aren't a board or quoram. We've collected no assessments in three years, no annual meetings or elections. We will lose our street lights in a matter of weeks for non payment of the electric bill. Our fountains were turned off immediately to save money. We have to take independent civil action against these two men just to view the records and books of our (ahem) Association. Folks park boats, RVs, abandoned cars and semi trucks in front of their homes for weeks, months and even years on end. Without an HOA or management company for maintenance, I personally spend my own time, energy and expense mowing the North Lake area and its easements, for which I live. This I do because I can't stand to see the grass thigh high nor do I care for the rodents this invites. My husband and I do this to preserve the property value we have left.

Do I think WalMart is going to hurt my property value? Are you kidding me? Do you understand now?

The Grand Parkway wasn't completed or open when I moved in. We knew this area (this particular spot surrounding 99) was slated for commercial development, as did everyone else who purchased here. Peole are crying that they weren't told this in advance...or that Bellaire would eventually extend through!

I don't see the construction because I have homes on the other side of the lake that separates this view. That is where the woman lives that said she feared for her children's safety. That's Canal Road. I specifically chose not to raise my family on a busy street and bought the interior property instead. Common sense. She hasn't lived here that long. Her children were born before buying on that street. Why would you subject your little ones to traffic when you had other choices? Residents haul ass down that particular stretch of street. I hate it. It won't even be used or accessed by the development or shopping center traffic. This is also a street that a certain BUILDER promised to install sidewalks and curbs (incentive for the buyer). They new homeowners on this street (17 of them) had one year to fight this builder and did nothing. So now, not only do they have traffic, but a steep ditch with no sidewalk to look at out their front window and this is their children's play area! Personally, I think this is really why she's moving. It was the view of the completed Grand Parkway that they've always seen. A green wall (a line of many trees) could only be an improvement.

Lakes of Bella Terra sits just behind my subdivision. They start at a half a million dollars. I suppose those in Million dollar homeowners may not normally shop WalMart, but even they are still building with no concern for property value demise.

Wow. Thanks for letting me get that off my chest!!!! :P It wasn't my intent to defame, but I'm due a little ranting after 14 years!

The atmosphere and mood is just not the same shopping at walmart vs another like target.

Really bright super white lights; that's why I prefer target, better atmosphere, more stylish stuff at about the same prices. But obviously not all targets or walmarts are the same, but most of the walmarts have that starkly white sterile feel. Hopefully this one is not.

Even though there is a Walmart right down the street from our house, my mom likes the Super Target on Westheimer Parkway a lot better. I do, too.

• 2 months later...

I just received a letter for a meeting next Thursday 07/19 with our Association (Parkway Lakes). The meeting will be with a Rep. from Moody Rambin (Developer). We can ask questions about this project and will be given a detailed overview.

Anyone have anything they would like to know.

My questions will be:

When will a light be installed at Bellarie/Grand Parkway?

Do to the heavy traffic flow around 5-6 PM, how will a light affect the traffic?

What other business' have commited to this project and schedules?

What other developments will be done to support this project and where.....gas stations, etc.

Plans to extend the Grand Parkway to 59 as a freeway or tollway.

It's actually a meeting scheduled by our Municipal Utility Destrict (50). Moody Rambin will be there to answer a few questions regarding the development of the commercial site between our neighborhoods. I've heard that the turn lanes and lights are required by the County as a part of the development. Support to the development also includes approximately 11 restaurant/shop pads as part of the 98 acre development. Moody Rambin also owns the southeast corner of TX99 and Bellaire. It's the big field in front of Meadows of Parkway Lakes. I've heard they develop and manage their properties...not just develop and sell.

I too will be at this meeting on the 19th since I live in the District. I have a list of questions as well. This should give us a good idea of what's up and coming in our area.

• 2 weeks later...

Some meeting highlights:

Besides Walmart, a Kohls will in next and I heard them mention a Petsmart too. Traffic lights at Bellaire and Grand Parkway and also a traffic light at Bellaire and the entrance to the Walmart side. De-celeration lanes will be built so thru traffice will be able to flow. Within a year or so their will be a direct entrance from Grand Parkway near 1093, similar to a feeder road.

Lighting is extremely restricted with special fixtures that direct light straight down due to Fort Bend's zoning codes.

Architecture: Walmart will look like a Walmart.......Kohl's will look like a Kohls. The outer buildings will be very nicely done.........

All in all, I believe it will be a very nice shopping center.

I heard no mention of other business' going in.......

No plans at this time for the Property located on the SW corner of Grand Parkway and Bellaire.

A lot of concern about Canal Road, behind the Center, with Big Rig traffic, etc. They will be building a 8-10' wall with trees as sound barriers.....pretty typical in this situation but a lot of unhappy homeowners in that area.

The bad part is waiting until all this is developed to see if it is as told.........I expect 5 years until this Center is mature enough to be architiecturely pleasing.

Do we really need a Petsmart? I would be much happier with a Best Buy or something like that. For theaters, I hope they put in a Palladium. I have seen some photos of one in SA a few days ago, and they look nice. First, I doubt Cinemark builds a theater or AMC, so that leaves United Artists and company or Palladium.

Thanks for the info. By chance, do you know anything about the court hearing next week on the HOA status?

This is the first I have heard of this....what is the issue that required a court hearing? Possibly some deception on the part of Deerwood Homes about Parkway Lakes having a HOA? Tell me what you know and I will ask around.......

Moody Rambin posted an updated PDF file.

Along with the Walmart and Kohl's, there is a Ross, Taco Bell, Chick-Filet, and two banks. Also, the Large parcel that said "Home Improvement" has been broken up into three areas.....big enough for a Best Buy or Bed, Bath and Beyond, Petsmart, etc.........

It looks like I will be able to cross the street and get anything I may need..........way cool!!

http://www.moodyrambin.com/images/proj92.pdf

So how many new square feet of retail is this for the Katy area? Also, when is the Grand Parkway going to become a freeway? It shouldn't take too long to build it since the overpasses are already there. I suggest they start now, before all of the homebuilders and other developers come in. I wonder what movie theater will be in the space.

At one time, there was a Lowes planned across from Target on Westhiemer Pkwy @ 99, but now they have divided it up for smaller retail. When I first saw this center and "home Improvement" on the plans, I thought it would have to be Lowes. Guess they couldn't come to terms.

I saw a movie last night about Walmart, and how they have ruined small town America with their subsidies, and literally running mom and pop's out of business. It was sickening to watch, and see all the lawsuits and laws broken by this company. I wonder if ol' Wally is spinnin' in his grave ?

This is the movie I saw last night, and I seriously think that if this Documentary is correct, that I will give my business elsewhere. http://www.walmartmovie.com/

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Kohls has their sign up already stating the soft open and grand opening date..It's the 1st weekend of April...I heard Wal-mart will open last week of March.

I heard Best Buy was interested in putting a new prototype store here in a small footprint (22k). Does anyone know what the other big spots will be beside the Petsmart & Ross.

they have a Best Buy that size in my hometown, Victoria...the only thing I don't understand is they try to squeeze in an appliance section...maybe it's just there since there's not another best buy nearby, but I think they should stick with the large format, where did you hear about this anyways?

• 4 weeks later...
Does anyone know how to look up online permits or lease signings for this development? They have started work on the 3 outlying pads (big box retail) and I am curious as to who they were.

chron.com has commercial real estate listings for the Houston metro area every monday. Also, here's another link with the same info...

http://www.boblowery.com/neighborhood_details.php?nID=4792

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I welcome the new shops.

I am again dumbfounded at the lack of planning!!!

How in the *@#& can Grand Parkway handle this?? It is already getting very congested during peak hours. Everyone trying to head south on Grand Pkwy, and to turn right onto Bellaire...Oye Vay!!!!!

Anyone know who if anyone we should correspond with?

Growth is inevitable, and positive.

Logical planning is priceless.

I'm still astonished about the poor/lack of planning on Fry between Grand Pkwy and Seven Meadows Pkwy. And many others through Cinco Ranch.

• 1 month later...

Archived