Gringo's/Gringeaux

native_Houstonian

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There is alot of remodeling going on at the old Macaroni Grill, on 59S near West Airport. Does anyone know what is going to go in there?

i hear a rumor that the guys that own Gringos took it. they are working on a new concept other than tex mex. i think its Cajun food

• 1 month later...
i hear a rumor that the guys that own Gringos took it. they are working on a new concept other than tex mex. i think its Cajun food

Does anyone know if this will definitely be a Cajun food restaurant? What about "Sugar Shack"? Does anyone know when that may open?

What's the Sugar Shack? I haven't heard anything about that.

Sugar Shack is in the building on Hwy 59 S, just before Kirkwood, that used to be The Taste of Houston. Before that, it was a Mason Jar. The new sign says "Southern Grill" and "Now Hiring", but it doesn't look like there is too much action going on.

• 3 months later...

Sugar Shack is open. http://www.sugarshacktogo.com/

Looks pretentious and overpriced. I'll say it won't make it. If Taste Of Houston couldn't survive there I don't think any restaurant can. Should have been a Big Boy, IMO.

EDIT: Read the reviews, not a good one in the bunch. http://www.b4-u-eat.com/houston/restaurant...ews/rsv4243.asp

They won't make it past Thanksgiving.

Called them to order takeout using the to go menu they have online. After getting put on hold a couple of times, I was told that I can't order to go unless I come into the restaurant, order there and wait for it, which they said would take about 20 minutes. Huh? I told them they just lost an order.

OMG, that is what happens when you try to have valet parking at a restaurant with the word "SHACK" in it. B)

I drove by on the feeder road earlier this week. There is a sign "GRINGEAUX'S" and it mentioned seafood. I imagine with that spelling it is going to be Cajun seafood.

Coy

I used to enjoy going to Macaroni Grill but went downhill over the years, which probably happened to the Meadows Place location. I hope Gringeaux's can compete with Pappadeaux, Razzoo's (a small feat, since service is bad and the food overpriced for what it is) and Sam's Boat (not really a restaurant, I know).

I used to enjoy going to Macaroni Grill but went downhill over the years, which probably happened to the Meadows Place location. I hope Gringeaux's can compete with Pappadeaux, Razzoo's (a small feat, since service is bad and the food overpriced for what it is) and Sam's Boat (not really a restaurant, I know).

No, what really happened is that the kitchen @ Macaroni Grill burned down, and so Brinker decide to close the Macaroni Grill rather than make repairs to it...our Student Council outgoing seniors' dinner was to be held at Macaroni Grill...but then the fire occurred and, well you get the story...we ended up moving the dinner to Pappasito's off of Sugar Creek Blvd...which is Dairy Ashford north of US 90A.

Btw...

Pappadeaux will never fall out of first place among seafood joints in Stafford...the place is busy, busy, busy, busy, busy every night...but I'm sure Razzoo's will be in for a challenge (it proclaims to be a Cajun Cafe...last time I went was just a few months after 9/11)...and Sam's Boat is a toss up between a seafood shack and a sports bar...i heard Sam's Boat even has Buzztime...that thing you see in every Buffalo Wild Wings...

No, what really happened is that the kitchen @ Macaroni Grill burned down, and so Brinker decide to close the Macaroni Grill rather than make repairs to it...our Student Council outgoing seniors' dinner was to be held at Macaroni Grill...but then the fire occurred and, well you get the story...we ended up moving the dinner to Pappasito's off of Sugar Creek Blvd...which is Dairy Ashford north of US 90A.

Macaroni Grill had to rethink its concept in Houston and therefore many of the underperforming restaurants closed. Houston is a notoriously hard market for mediocre restaurants which Macaroni Grill was one.

I drove by on the feeder road earlier this week. There is a sign "GRINGEAUX'S" and it mentioned seafood. I imagine with that spelling it is going to be Cajun seafood.

Coy

Yep, there's a huge marquee sign up that says "Gringeaux's Seafood Kitchen." Though it's cute, it's gonna be confusing to consumers.

• 1 month later...
Sugar Shack is open. http://www.sugarshacktogo.com/

Looks pretentious and overpriced. I'll say it won't make it. If Taste Of Houston couldn't survive there I don't think any restaurant can. Should have been a Big Boy, IMO.

EDIT: Read the reviews, not a good one in the bunch. http://www.b4-u-eat.com/houston/restaurant...ews/rsv4243.asp

They won't make it past Thanksgiving.

Gringeaux's Seafood Kitchen open's October 2nd. :D

Looks like the demise of Sugar Shack is happening as planned. :o First is was the Mason Jar, The Taste of Houston, and now. . . okay, well I jumped the gun. :)

Sugar Shack recently stopped serving lunch and now are only open for dinner, it seems business is not doing as good. (They still need to update the times on the website too.) <_<

I assumed they were closed for good because of that, and I bet others will assume that too, which will carry over into potential customers lost for dinner. ;)

I don't know of many restaurants that are only open of dinner, except for high end ones, and I think this one falls more under the Pappa's and Laundry's mid level type restaurants. <_<

I wonder who will occupy it next. :unsure:

Gringeaux's Seafood Kitchen open's October 2nd. :D

Looks like the demise of Sugar Shack is happening as planned. :o First is was the Mason Jar, The Taste of Houston, and now. . . okay, well I jumped the gun. :)

Sugar Shack recently stopped serving lunch and now are only open for dinner, it seems business is not doing as good. (They still need to update the times on the website too.) <_<

I assumed they were closed for good because of that, and I bet others will assume that too, which will carry over into potential customers lost for dinner. ;)

I don't know of many restaurants that are only open of dinner, except for high end ones, and I think this one falls more under the Pappa's and Laundry's mid level type restaurants. <_<

I wonder who will occupy it next. :unsure:

Your Smileys look like a macaroni.

• 1 month later...

My wife and i ate there this past sunday, and we were largely dissapointed.

1. Food was bland

2. Service was mediocre

3. Oysters took 20 minutes (but were pretty good)

4. Salad was good

5. Entrees were bland. I had crawfish combo, horrible. The 'etoufee' was bland and the fried crawfish tails tasted horrible. My wife had mahi mahi with 'ponchertrain' sauce, and while the fish was ok, the 'sauce' was nothing more than a couple tablespoons, and did not taste anything like the pappadeaux sauce.

When we left we felt cheated out of a good meal, and wishing we had just gone to pappadeaux. Oh, and the prices are only about 2-5 dollars cheaper than pappadeaux and about 1/4 of the menu choices. I might go back in a few months to see if things improve.

• 1 month later...

Sugar Shack is closed. It must have happened earlier this month. There is a for sale sign out front. The place only lasted 6 months. The website, seen through cache, is still accessable (Check out the "bootie call" music in the background! B) ), but if you go to the direct site, sugarshacktogo.com, it takes you to the hosting site as the domain name has expired.

The phone number is disconnected too.

I hope no one was stupid enough to buy a gift card this holiday season! :lol:

So. . .what do you think will occupy this cursed restaurant next? :huh:

The downtown location of sugar shack is still open i believe, some guy handed me a menu the other day. they always have live music in there, but i still dont feel like going there. the pics in the flyer looked nasty!

If that is true, why would they let the domain name expire. Is the downtown location really the same place?

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
Sugar Shack is closed. It must have happened earlier this month. There is a for sale sign out front. The place only lasted 6 months. The website, seen through cache, is still accessable (Check out the "bootie call" music in the background! B) ), but if you go to the direct site, sugarshacktogo.com, it takes you to the hosting site as the domain name has expired.

The phone number is disconnected too.

I hope no one was stupid enough to buy a gift card this holiday season! :lol:

So. . .what do you think will occupy this cursed restaurant next? :huh:

It looks like they are once again working on the outside of this restaurant. I guess they found another buyer/tenant. Anyone have info on what is coming next?

New sign is up - 59 Diner will now occupy that space. Whoo- Hoo! A new lunch place!

But for how long, anyone want to start a poll? :P

That location is just plagued.

I doubt the 59 Diner is going to last.

It is on the same level as IHOP and Denny's.

New sign is up - 59 Diner will now occupy that space. Whoo- Hoo! A new lunch place!

Wow, that's cool! I always wondered why there wasn't a "59 Diner" on 59. It makes so much sense. I think 59 Diner is a strong enough brand to make it in this location. Sugar Shack and Taste of Houston never had a chance.

Wow, that's cool! I always wondered why there wasn't a "59 Diner" on 59. It makes so much sense. I think 59 Diner is a strong enough brand to make it in this location. Sugar Shack and Taste of Houston never had a chance.

That old Hummer dealership needs to be wrecked out, it is just a no-mans land because of that.

Maybe that whole area, between Gringos and 59 Diner can be unified by some sort of common theme for a restraurant complex.

Archived