Dmn's Texan Of The Year: Houston

Dallasite

DMN's Texan of the Year: Houston

10:25 AM CST on Saturday, December 31, 2005

By VICTORIA LOE HICKS / The Dallas Morning News

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dw...on1.50fcfe.html

In 2005, Houston became the heart of Texas.

For resilience, resourcefulness and good old Texas neighborliness on a scale that did the whole state proud, Houston is the 2005 Dallas Morning News Texan of the Year. To this day, an estimated 150,000 survivors of hurricanes Katrina and Rita call the Houston area home, and surveys show that most of them plan to stay. When Katrina hurled them, battered and destitute, onto Houston's doorstep, Houston met the challenge with the largest shelter operation in the nation's history. Singling out Houston is no slight to the scores of other communities that opened their arms to the storms' victims, including those right here in North Texas. They, too, performed nobly and deserve vigorous applause. But the demands on Houston, by dint of simple geography, were of a stunningly higher magnitude.

Talk to the people at the center of the relief effort, and, over and over, you'll hear words that echo those of Issa Dadoush, the city of Houston's director of building services: "These are Americans. They're our neighbors. If not Houston, who else?" Or, as Harris County Judge Robert Eckels said, "We had no choice. It was just something that needed to be done." To get it done, "we" became far more than government. The extraordinary effort depended on churches, companies, nonprofits and tens of thousands of ordinary people. Commandeered by fate, they responded with the very qualities that distinguish a Texan of the Year: trailblazing, independence, staring down adversity, and affecting or influencing lives.

In the office of Houston Mayor Bill White's chief of staff sits a large, glossy sign that admonishes: "Put Your Smile On

I second the motion. Although we don't always see eye to eye this article puts things in there proper perspective.

Happy New Year everyone!

I second Red's motion. Although we don't always see eye to eye, this article puts things in there proper perspective.

Happy New Year everyone!

I second Red's motion. Although we don't always see eye to eye, this article puts things in there proper perspective.

Happy New Year everyone!

Nice to see our brothers from the north patting us on the back but really, any city would've likely done the same thing, we just happened to be the biggest, closest city with the ability to handle the enormous task. And no, I'm not giving Dallas a backhand, I think it's a great city but secretly, I think all of the other cities were glad it was us and not them.

If it's ok for a group to be Texan of the year, then it would be truly a great thing if the Katrina victims were to earn that award in a few years once the government assistance has long dried up, earning it by demonstrating that they were able to deal with the hardship, didn't cause our city's crime to rise and became productive citizens, not the government wards and troublemakers that many feared they would be.

That would be 1000 times more gratifying than any award.

This can be the year in which Dallas and Houston begins its "sister city" relationship. We are two wonderful cities from the great State of Texas. Let's brag about each other's accomplishments and wish each city the best. Thanks Dallas Morning News for your "Texan of the Year" award to Houston. Houston deserves it, and who would have ever thought about this going to a city, rather than to an individual? No city other than BIG D! Dallas lives large and thinks big. Thank you again, Dallas, for the respect and kindness. This hopefully may be what brings Houston & Dallas together. Now, let's learn from this: not all of Dallas hates Houston and vice versa. Happy New Year to ya, Dallas. You are one great city. Happy New Year, Texas! 'nuff said. :wub:

I respect Dallas more now than ever :blush:

Now that I think about it, 2005 was a pretty stressful year for us, huh?! Remember when we were all exhaused and angry and tired from doing all the charity work after the disaster happened? Remember the charity basketball game at Toyota Center? Former President Bush and Clinton helped relief efforts. Dr. Phil came to town. Mattress Mac got involved. Houston took center stage as the city with a huge heart because we did everything we could to help the victims anyway we could.

Are you thinking about Hurricane Rita and Katrina? 'Cause I was refering to this past January after the Tsunami hit...

:wub: Houston, I love you all :wub:

:wub: Houston, I love you all :wub:

They should build something like a bourbon street or sometihing usuall to make New Orleans feel more like at home of what they had. So it would help to bring more of them here into Houston.

Like building a All u can eat Popeyes buffets around Houston :lol:

Build a walk tour along a street with shopping centers and cafes, and more like bourbon street

and a couple more interesting things they had for fun also.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived