Venus Corporation At 930 S. 75th St.

thedistrict84

Today I learned of the Venus sports car made right here in Houston (thanks to a post on Reddit). As a native Houstonian and gear head, it is a bit surprising that I hadn’t heard of it before.
A total of 10 were apparently built. Although the running gear was from an earlier Ford, a lot of the components were custom made for the Venus, including it’s fiberglass body. This was presumably done at their building located at 930 S. 75th St. in the East End.

The Pinterest page linked below was set up by the son of the designer and shows some really interesting historical photos of the vehicles, as well as a few articles.

https://pin.it/qz2dalwkojyzc7
One of the pictures features the vehicle in front of the building on S. 75th St. Using Google maps, it looks similar to the building now located at 926 S. 75th St., which is an auto repair shop. I doubt that the address would have been changed however, so I presume that the building was torn down some time ago. If anyone happens to remember that part of town from the 1950s-1960s, I’d be curious to know if it’s the same building.

Thought I would share. Enjoy!

• Like 2

I assume you saw the other site the designer's son has, in addition to the one linked on the Pinterest page:

https://mcload.wordpress.com/

In particular, I was fascinated by this photo from that site depicting a Venus in the driveway of the designer's family home in Garden Villas in 1955. I've always been a fan of that neighborhood, and wonder where the house was located. 

venus-1955-retouched-png-copy.png

• Like 3

"Today I learned of the Venus sports car made right here in Houston (thanks to a post on Reddit). As a native Houstonian and gear head, it is a bit surprising that I hadn’t heard of it before."

I too am surprised I had never heard of the Venus. I grew up between 4 & 5 miles from the 75th Street address, but didn't know anything about specific area. Although a few years from being (legally) able to drive, I was very interested in cars & had a subscription to Hot Rod Magazine by 1956. By 1961 I had a '35 Ford with similar engine configuration - a '49 Merc with Edelbrock heads & 2 Sromberg carbs.

I saved both links to spend some more time researching.

• Like 4

Ditto, never heard of them, but if they only made 10, there were probably a thousand such companies that made bodies and interiors for existing chassis back in that era and earlier.  If they weren't in Southern California in the Hotrod scene or near the OEM's in Detroit, 50's media probably never caught wind of their existence.  

• The title was changed to Venus Corporation At 930 S. 75th St.
  • 6 months later...