Is Dallas-fort Worth Population Really 6mil?

C2H

That's one thing that i was confused about on a thread that was started a while back. There was an article earlier this year that was entitled" North Texas's population tops 6 million people". I was just wondering does that just emcompass Dallas-Fort Worth or is that all of North Texas such as Witchita Falls, Sherman, and all the other cities within the region?

The 6 million is an estimate of the number of people in the DFW metro area, as defined by the federal government. The estimate is from the North Texas Council of Governments, a regional planning group.

If the cities you are thinking of are located in counties that are included in the DFW Metro, then the answer is 'yes'. Otherwise, the answer is 'no'.

The April 2005 population count of 6,013,650 million people is for the DFW Metroplex only. Since the official 2000 census count, DFW has added 738,800 people as of April 2005. Basically, it's a combination of what used to be two seperate metro areas; Dallas Metro and Fort Worth Metro and all the cities that were part of those two metro areas. It does not include the outer lying areas that are still considered to be in the "North Central Texas region"... Witchita Falls, Sherman/Denison, etc. are not included in the population count for the DFW Metroplex. The reason that the Fort Worth and Dallas metro areas were combined by the U.S.Census Bureau is because the commuter traffic patterns indicated that these two metro areas were actually one metro area because of the high number of people who were travelling between the FW and Dallas metro areas for work and play.

The DFW Metroplex incompasses all of the 5 core counties: Dallas, Tarrant, Denton, Collin and Rockwall. The Metroplex also spills over into a portion of 4 other counties; Parker, Johnson, Ellis, and Kaufman. The North Central Texas region is comprised of the following 16 counties; Wise, Denton, Collin, Hunt, Palo Pinto, Parker, Tarrant, Dallas, Rockwall, Kaufman, Erath, Hood, Somervell, Johnson, Ellis, and Navarro counties.

The confusion comes from poor choices in naming conventions and inconsistent use of correct names. North Texas is actually called "North Central Texas", and refers to the entire area surrounding the DFW Metroplex and streches from the Oklahoma border down to Central Texas. It is the same regional designation that is used to refer to West Texas, South Texas, Central Texas, East Texas, etc. There is a big difference between DFW Metroplex and North Central Texas (or North Texas). Sometimes the term "North Texas" is incorrectly used to describe the "DFW Metroplex".

I hope that clears up a little bit of the confusion.

The April 2005 population count of 6,013,650 million people is for the DFW Metroplex only. Since the official 2000 census count, DFW has added 738,800 people as of April 2005. Basically, it's a combination of what used to be two seperate metro areas; Dallas Metro and Fort Worth Metro and all the cities that were part of those two metro areas. It does not include the outer lying areas that are still considered to be in the "North Central Texas region"... Witchita Falls, Sherman/Denison, etc. are not included in the population count for the DFW Metroplex. The reason that the Fort Worth and Dallas metro areas were combined by the U.S.Census Bureau is because the commuter traffic patterns indicated that these two metro areas were actually one metro area because of the high number of people who were travelling between the FW and Dallas metro areas for work and play.

The DFW Metroplex incompasses all of the 5 core counties: Dallas, Tarrant, Denton, Collin and Rockwall. The Metroplex also spills over into a portion of 4 other counties; Parker, Johnson, Ellis, and Kaufman. The North Central Texas region is comprised of the following 16 counties; Wise, Denton, Collin, Hunt, Palo Pinto, Parker, Tarrant, Dallas, Rockwall, Kaufman, Erath, Hood, Somervell, Johnson, Ellis, and Navarro counties

The confusion comes from poor choices in naming conventions and inconsistent use of correct names. North Texas is actually called "North Central Texas", and refers to the entire area surrounding the DFW Metroplex and streches from the Oklahoma border down to Central Texas. It is the same regional designation that is used to refer to West Texas, South Texas, Central Texas, East Texas, etc. There is a big difference between DFW Metroplex and North Central Texas (or North Texas). Sometimes the term "North Texas" is incorrectly used to describe the "DFW Metroplex".

I hope that clears up a little bit of the confusion.

Well said willy!!!! :rolleyes:

^ LOL... Point well taken Midtowncoog. So true. One of the complaints often heard from people who visit DFW or move here is how confusing it is to get oriented in the Metroplex because everything is named in some stupid way. All our freeways here have more than one name or at the very least a confusing name. Central Expressway is the same thing as 75 Central. The DFW Turnpike, is also I30 or the new one, Tom Landry freeway. Nortwest Hwy is also Loop 12. Airport freeway/183. Then there is I-35. There is I-35E and I-35W. 35E runs through Dallas and 35W through FW. So imagine being new to DFW and on your way to work you're listening to the traffic report....

"There is an accident at Central and Knox causing a back up to Northwest Hwy. There's also a 3 car pile up on the Tom Landry Freeway at Fielder and the back up is all the way to Loop 12 to the east and 820 to the west. Also in Tarrant county there is an overturned 18-wheeler on the north freeway and traffic is being diverted onto 820.

The confusing part is that when you're sitting on Central Expressway or any other freeway and hear that report and you look at the signs around you... none of them say "Tom Landry Freeway" or "Central"/"Central Expressway". Then you have weird things like signs on central that read "NW HWY 1 mile", but if you're not from here and you're looking for "Loop 12" you're screwed.

And then there are things that add to the confusion, like Midtowncoog pointed out. Everything here is named "North Texas" or "Big D" or "Metroplex" something or other. Car dealerships, car washes... Everything adds to the confusion. Even the media around here is inconsistent about the naming conventions.... The weathermen are always referring to DFW as "here in North Texas" or something like that.

^ True. The numbers I gave were from the NCTCOG's on-going population count for all of North Central Texas. I should have made that clear - sorry. However, the NCTCOG's estimates are usually very close to reality and are always more current than the Census Bureau's. DFW has definitely passed the 6 Million mark. By the time the 2005 figures are released from the Census B. they will be a year old. That applies across the board, not to just DFW. Houston's numbers are out-dated by the time they're released too....

The North Central Texas Council of Governments (www.dfwinfo.com) that provided these estimates is the counterpart to the Houston Galveston Area Council (www.h-gac.com) which also provides population estimates and projections.

• 2 months later...

Archived