Downtown-intown Development.

Guest Plastic

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyways . . .

Getting back to the subject, joking or not.

The suburbs, will never be a downtown CBD, for one reason and one reason alone.

It has nothing to do with the location, but rather the infrastructure.

Take a look at the Houston map and locate Downtown/Midtown. You will see a road system call a grid.

All of suburbia does not even come close to a grid. (mostly unneeded curvey roads and cul de sacs)

Grids are small blocks of street/sidewalk systems in straight lines.

You can't have the downtown feel without that. . .period

If you go to the uptown houston website, they have a whole plan to create more streets within the area to make a grid. They have the right idea.

Uptown has future potential to make it, but not HW6 or Westchase.

Guest Plastic

This is not at all true. All the ones except maybe in sugarland and Clearlake don't have grides.

Westheimer ,Richmind,Briar Forest,Westpark Bellaire,FOndren Gessner,Dairy Ashford,HWY 6,Barkery Cypress, Fry,Mason,Kingland and many more all form a grid.

This is not at all true. All the ones except maybe in sugarland and Clearlake don't have grides.

Westheimer ,Richmind,Briar Forest,Westpark Bellaire,FOndren Gessner,Dairy Ashford,HWY 6,Barkery Cypress, Fry,Mason,Kingland and many more all form a grid.

I thought I had this person on ignore. I guess I need to go through the process once more. But while I'm here :P ...as usual the poster is clueless...and "gride" actually IS a word but I think plastic should look it up for him/her/it's self-for practice. B)

WHAT !!! :angry:

Learn how to check your grammer dude.

Hey Plastic, if this thread gets closed, that says a lot about your way of thinking and how skewed it is.  Really defeats the purpose of this forum.

Actually, I think this is a good topic. However when someone like Plastic chooses to make a game of it then I wonder if there isn't a way to have them permanantly removed from HAIF. Maybe they are just some 7th grader having a good time-I'm clueless. I do know it is an unwanted interruption to serious discussion by an otherwise thoughtful group.

Well they do just like 1966-,Louetta,Cypresswood,,Kuhkendahl,Ella,Veterans Memorial,Spears,and 249 all make a grid.

You don't know what a grid pattern for streets is do you??? Again where do you live plastic? Just because four streets make a box doesn't mean it is a grid. Have you ever been Downtown or near downtown? Those are grids. What you described is a box full of curvy streets and cul-de-sacs.

* :angry: frustrated :blink: *

Ok, Plastic

A "grid" as quoted from the insightful stephen berlin johnson.

"The power of short blocks is ultimately that they create a more even density in the city fabric: because short blocks offer more potential routes from x to y, they diversify the flow of pedestrian traffic through the city. In the long blocks model, pedestrians are funneled onto a few primary pathways, which quickly become over-crowded. With short blocks, they spread out through the entire street system. So you get some people on every street, unlike the long blocks model, which puts all the people on some streets, and no people on other streets. In the long blocks model, you get Times Square interspersed with desolate stretches; in the short blocks model you get the West Village: a bar or restaurant on every corner, a few interesting boutiques or bookstores in between, an interesting mix on the sidewalk, but never so much that you feel crowded out."

Again, look at a map of downtown houston, notice that small grids are not the same thing as the streets you called out. 4 streets making a huge block is not a grid system. . .goof.

Because these planned places tend to be isolated from the city in their own area. Where you have to take a parkway just to get back to roads. But if a neighborhood was built in a grid it would be easily connected to the city as said city grew around it. And the reason the first pic won't be walkable is simple. I doubt you will know exactly where I am talking about, but take for example the house in the middle top. To go to your neighbors (behind you) you would have to walk west on your street then go south onto what kind of looks like the main artery, then walk along as it kind of curves off, then turn onto the first or second side street off that.

Compare that to a grid where you just walk around the block to see them.

Edit: looking at it from a closer view, that main artery can't access the side street I was talking about. Also I measured the new route and it would be 1.2 miles to see the people who live behind you. Doesn't encourage a walkable urban neighborhood does it? COmpared to around 320 feet for a grid.

Interesting to ponder what will eventually become of the classic suburban non-grid neighborhoods once they reach the ends of their life cycles. Townhouses would fit nicely. Anything much beyond that......mid-rises might even work, which are similar to apartment buildings, of which there are many on smaller side streets. Maybe a high-rise at the end of a cul-de-sac with the rest of the old tract homes torn down to make room for parking and amenities. By then a lot of the currently sparse suburban boulevards that feed the subdivisions will get filled up and become urban. Look what happened/is still happening to FM 1960, for example. How long before we get a high-rise residential tower over there? Does anyone know when the first non-grid (is there a better word for this?) neighborhood was built in Houston? Maybe the 50s?

Really, we shouldn't discount any possibilities. In fact, the subdivision-turned-mid-rise enclave might be the big thing in 2050. The non-grid could have the same attraction to "density" dwellers as to the suburbanites; less traffic on many streets giving a sense of privacy and peacefulness plus a sense of neighborhood as opposed to today's townhouse clusters being built on old city streets. People might really be looking for all of that in 45 years after we hit mega-city proportions.

I would love to see a fantasy rendering of a Katy neighborhood with mid-rises.

Does anyone know when the first non-grid (is there a better word for this?) neighborhood was built in Houston?

I would think Sharpstown was the first master planned "suburban type" non-grid community in Houston. It was built around the 1950's.

Being the oldest master planned community, you can see that is failed, crime is everywhere and the mall is a piss poor excuse of a mall. Many of the other high-rise developements were cancelled after suburban decay took affect. The ones that remain are not in any better shape.

Parts of Sugarland are already going through this effect.

Archived