Petition in Support of Houston Bike Plan

allynwest

I'm a little unclear what the donation piece helps achieve:

Your contribution of $5 or more will feature the petition to dozens of like-minded change makers and drive it toward victory.

The more you give, the more people will be shown this campaign and asked to add their names in support.

In May 2013 the website started “crowd-promoted petitions” that allows a signatory to promote the petition by paying a donation of $5 to $1000 at the final stage of petition signing. For each dollar spent the current petition is linked as a related item to 5 other people who have just signed a petition. Change.org intends to limit donations to one per person, per petition.

From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Change.org#Business_model

I ignored that part, and rather sent it to 10 people I know that bike and will probably sign. I assume the intent is to get as many signatures as possible then present to Mayor Turner, showing community interest.

Thanks, everyone!

@Sunstar: I didn't add that donation button, and I'm certainly not soliciting donations, just signatures and shares. I assume that the donations go to change.org.

@skwatra: You're right. As with the petition for Sunday Streets, if we get to 1,000 signatures, the Mayor has to, at least, pretend to look at it. I'm after that 1,000-signature threshold, baby!

Archived