The Commerce Railroad Spur

IronTiger

I drove on Commerce the last time I was in Houston, the part where the railroad runs down the middle of the street (and its not the light rail). How often is there actually a freight train there? I did see train cars at either end.

The rail line you are referring to is still in use. I'm not quite sure how often it is used, but I do recall recently seeing trains cross on the X-ing on Navigation, which is from the same line. I still see random stationary wagons along this line, especially in the section along St. Charles.

I also think this may be some sort of private line. The locomotive does not appear to be the UP or BNSF type. Looks smaller, maybe more so for local, and infrequent trips.

Not sure what the future of this rail line is, I think it depends on the activity from the warehouses north of Navigation. If the warehouses go, I'm assuming the rail line would be abandoned.

I don't think it would be as it is, given the differences between modern light rail and the freight rail that is now on commerce, but maybe the ROW could be utilized for some form of light rail. Techically, it could be possible to branch of the existing East End light rail line near the Harrisburg underpass, use the line along commerce, and follow on towards Canal / Navigation. Could go through the KBR/Cathexis property, as there was a bridge/line there in the past, or East on Canal or Navigation, or both, which either way could do wonders for the continued development of this area.

I dont think there is currently enough density to have that considered, and having another under/overpass at the west belt crossing would be a nightmare, but I think it is possible. The East End Management District has been exploring streetcar options for a while, but not sure where they are at with that.

If it's abandoned by the RR company using it, could it be repurposed as a light rail line?

No way, it doesn't go anywhere and a "conversion" would be basically rebuilding it anyway. More likely is the rail stripped and a conspicuous long asphalt patch is put there.

Edit: it might've worked if the light rail went along the path of the Harrisburg Bike Trail instead of Harrisburg, but it's a bit late to be talking about that.

If it's abandoned by the RR company using it, could it be repurposed as a light rail line?

Anytime a RR line is abandoned the right of way lease is terminated and the land reverts back to its original owner(s). I don't know who that is, but there was even a supreme court case which dealt with this issue of easement abandonment.

Anytime a RR line is abandoned the right of way lease is terminated and the land reverts back to its original owner(s). I don't know who that is, but there was even a supreme court case which dealt with this issue of easement abandonment.

It's not that simple because just because a railroad is removed doesn't mean true abandonment...a lot of trails are "railbanked" so that the railroad still has a share in it, even if it's developed as a trail. However, since its on a road (primarily) it would just be stripped and re-patched.

The spur is the UP Congress Yard /PTRA Industrial Loop Spur that runs in the middle of Commerce for a few blocks east to west . The spur loops from Congress Yard in the west and runs east to PTRA tracks by Wayside (BNSF) and Clinton near the port's Turnin Basin . It was apart of Southern Pacific (SP) And Houston Belt & Terminal (HB&T) now Port Terminal Railroad Association (PTRA) and UP. UP still uses that spur for light industrial switching in, to and from Congress Yard . The small switcher maybe a MK15DC Genset Switcher  with the new PTRA scheme . Congress Yard is a overflow staging yard for UP's and BNSF's New South Yards . It major city artery to Bayport (BNSF)to the southeast on the East Belt and Davis yard (UP/MP) to the north near Beltway 8 which is doubletracked .It is on a doubletrack portion in the east downtown area near Minute Maid Park and a few blocks east of Dynamo Stadium . It once belonged to HB&T. It was used as throat tracks because it is the main junction for the cities warehouse district which had throat tracks and spurs running all around the downtown area  because the huge historic number of warehouses and shops that sprawled around the city at one time . The yard is currently used for bypass joint right-of- way for BNSF,KCS ,CSX ,NS, CN, CPR, TFM and Ferromex and a storage for empty gondolas . You can access the yard and Commerce Loop from any direction when visiting . When visiting Congress Yard , I advise please be careful ,HPD , Constables and Sherriffs make their rounds there and the yard and line is active be watchful for traffic on the tracks. The best place to view is a dirt access road on the westside of the yard .

Archived