Fort Worth's 2005 Population

Well why didn't you say your remarks like that? Seems pretty idiotic and rude not to.

I suppose a vain attempt at comedic satire. It was obviously wasted on you.

You continue to confirm my suggestion that you alter your moniker...

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You couldn't tell in that one post if it was suppossed to be satire or seriousness.

Are you kidding me? Maybe YOU could not tell, which in effect creates irony, in a manner of speaking. Let's see if you can figure that out.

Seriously, re-read the post. Slowly. And do not forget to read your quotes in relation to what i posted.

My words: Pass the crack-pipe dude, you've killed the last cell.

Now your response:

Im just thankful though that I don't have rude behavior like Tcole who told me to smoke more crack and called me a Tennessea drunkard.

This is not a matter of "interpretation." It is a matter of READING COMPREHENSION.

For your enlightenment, "pass the crack-pipe"; a term used to indicate that you should either share it with others or cease your indulgence in such. Modified by, "you've killed the last cell", which indicates that the suggestion to pass the "pipe" is related to the second option above due to the fact that because the partaking of drugs kills brain cells, you should stop due to the impression that I got that you have none or very few remaining as evidenced by your ludicrous reasoning and assumptions regarding Dallas' ability to annex its surroiunding communities.

Now if you want to consider sarcasm as rude, that is your perogative. But it appears that what you found rude was really the result of your failure in comprehension.

Please read the reminder notice for the forum before posting. Keep it on topic, and take the flame wars somewhere else. The rest of us aren't really interested in reading people insulting each other.

Being said, I'll return to topic with a post from the Fort Worth Architecture forum:

"It appears that with the growth of Fort Worth relative to Dallas over the last 7-8 years, the distinct possibility arises that the population of Fort Worth could exceed 800,000 by the 2010 national census whereas Dallas would be hard-pressed to top the 1.3 mil. mark. As such, current ownership and distribution of board seats for DFW airport favors Dallas by about 2 to 1 to reflect the status ante that prevailed when the airport was constructed and for the better part of the last 35 years, that being that Dallas was roughly a little over twice the size of Fort Worth. Fort that matter, Fort Worth has potential to reach approximate parity with Dallas by 2020.

So, should redistribution of ownership/board seats take place with regard to DFW airport?"

Interesting question in my opinion.

My only compliment for you Tcole is that you would make a great lawyer because you can bend through anything. Pass the crack pipe in many people's minds is interpreted as bad. i don't know if you do but people in general do which is why you need to be careful with words. Or Ima tussle youuuuuuuu.

My only compliment for you Tcole is that you would make a great lawyer because you can bend through anything. Pass the crack pipe in many people's minds is interpreted as bad. i don't know if you do but people in general do which is why you need to be careful with words. Or Ima tussle youuuuuuuu.

I thought this was suppose to be a HAPPY thread? Arent we happy that FW is getting all this success, and thus, can possibly make Dallas a little jealous or threatened?

Just a happy observation, that's all.

Being said, I'll return to topic with a post from the Fort Worth Architecture forum:

"It appears that with the growth of Fort Worth relative to Dallas over the last 7-8 years, the distinct possibility arises that the population of Fort Worth could exceed 800,000 by the 2010 national census whereas Dallas would be hard-pressed to top the 1.3 mil. mark. As such, current ownership and distribution of board seats for DFW airport favors Dallas by about 2 to 1 to reflect the status ante that prevailed when the airport was constructed and for the better part of the last 35 years, that being that Dallas was roughly a little over twice the size of Fort Worth. Fort that matter, Fort Worth has potential to reach approximate parity with Dallas by 2020.

So, should redistribution of ownership/board seats take place with regard to DFW airport?"

Interesting question in my opinion.

There's gotta be an estabilshted policy for reallocation of board seats, but I have no idea what it may be. However, I would think passenger destination should have more weight in the decision of board seat allocation than city population. That is, Dallas and Fort Worth could have the same population, but if 2/3 of O/D traffic is heading into Dallas, then 2/3 of the board seats come from that city. Metroplex aiport politics is a mess!

The population growth in NNE Tarrant County is among the most rapidly increasing areas in the country, the Metroplex "infill" population growth is as dramatic as experienced in South Collin County during the past 20 years. To me, one of the most significant metrics of Metroplex population growth rate during the past three decades has been the relativly consistent growth rate from decade to decade: 30-33%, while other MSAs have experienced ebb/flow in growth rate.

I'm not really sure what measurable benefits might eventually surface, resulting from the consistent growth rate, but intuitively there's gotta be something.

I agree the population could reach 800,000 by 2010 and 1.3 million by 2020. Much of the land within FW city limits is rural and in the sweet spot of current Metroplex suburban neighborhood expansion.

That is, Dallas and Fort Worth could have the same population, but if 2/3 of O/D traffic is heading into Dallas, then 2/3 of the board seats come from that city.

That doesn't make any sense. Besides, 2/3 of the O/D traffic is not going to Dallas proper...

That doesn't make any sense. Besides, 2/3 of the O/D traffic is not going to Dallas proper...

Why not? Shouldnt the municipal contribution to airport decisions come from the areas driving the most business?

I said IF 2/3 of the O/D traffic was whatever/whatever.... I'm not trying present data or anything, just trying to understand what factors should be used to determine the make up of airport decision makers.

I would not be surprised at all, though, if half of DFW's O/D traffic came from Dallas proper. Does anyone know if those data are gathered and reported? It would be interesting.

I bet 2/3rds of the traffic going to Dallas proper and Fort Worth proper is going to Dallas. Not because of a residential population proportion, but because of business. Did you notice AA said its most important customers live near Love field? This may change, but Fort Worth hasn't created that much business traffic at DFW, relative to some other areas. For instance I would consider Plano one who creates a lot of traffic per resident, partially due to business.

It could be that in the future Fort Worth pulls a double whammy and creates a lot more business traffic and possibly more pleasure traffic as well, and in that case I think things should be evened up. However I'm not seeing any clear signs yet that this will happen. There are some people predicting some grand things though, we'll just have to see.

Perhaps though such a move today would be a token of good faith in the realization that the metroplex is slowly morphing into one continuous area and becoming more and more interdependent? Each side owes some of its success to the other, and neither is as attractive alone as with the other close by, or just a train ride away thanks to the TRE.

Jason

Why not? Shouldnt the municipal contribution to airport decisions come from the areas driving the most business?

Well, let's deal with facts. The ownership distribution was originally set out based on relative population. That is and is projected to change in ratio by 2010, so should the board representation equally change?

l've lived in Dallas for four years and visit FW often to spend time with relatives. Although I do find FW nice and what they've done with downtown is amazing ( I used to visit FW as a kid and rember what downtown was like in the 80's), it doesn't surprise me people find it hard to believe FW has the population it does. I couldn't believe it either, mainly because if you spend some time in the city, FW feels like a much, much smaller town. Austin, Atlanta, Seattle, and lots of smaller cities seem to be much more urban and fast-paced, this could be a good or bad thing depending on your point of view. Downtown hops on the weekend, but the rest of the city is dead after 11pm, and there's very little nightime traffic on the freeways. There are developments going on around downtown, but nothing close to what's going on in Atlanta, and what's going on here in Dallas dwarfs development in FW. And most of the growth in FW is cookie cutter surbuban style housing and retail developments. I know FW is half the size of Dallas, but Dallas looks five times bigger. Also, I don't know what jobs these FW people are talking about. Do a monster search in Dallas than do on for FW. Three of my FW relatives work in Dallas and two coworkers live in FW. They all say the same thing, FW has few professional jobs and you make more in Dallas doing the same job in FW. My post is no attak against FW, I do like the city alot. But it just doesn't seem like a city with a 600,000 population. Far from it.

tcole: I happen to find you funny, and did comprehend your writing. There, settled. :P

How is Fort Worth's highway network holding up under this vigorous growth? I remember what Collin County's growth did to the old Central Expressway.

Well, let's deal with facts. The ownership distribution was originally set out based on relative population. That is and is projected to change in ratio by 2010, so should the board representation equally change?

The DFW Airport Board appointments are made with regard to Dallas' and Fort Worth's respective ownership in the airport, not population or business traffic.

There is also one non-voting member who represents the four cities surrounding the airport: Grapevine, Irving, Euless, and Coppell.

You can find more information on the DFW Airport website under airport administration.

http://www.dfwairport.com/airport/administration.htm

The DFW Airport Board appointments are made with regard to Dallas' and Fort Worth's respective ownership in the airport, not population or business traffic.
Re-read my post. Here, I will make it easier:
The ownership distribution was originally set out based on relative population.

Therefore, the board seats were allocated based on relative population, because the original ownership was such. Perhaps I should have made the case that ownership allotment should also be similarly re-apportioned.

This is most fascinating reading. I'm ashamed that I've spent weeks electing not to click on the thread. I have my own comments based on some (admittedly) rare visits (I've lived in Texas seven years now and have visited FW about 6 times compared to the few dozen times I've visited Dallas "proper").

1) Fort Worth clearly shows the remnants of being a smaller town that loss some of its industrial fervor some years ago but is now experiencing unmatched growth, mainly because of the DFW region's top-notch growth in white collar jobs.

2) There are some infrastructural issues that you would expect to see in a city with such a recent history. Bus service isn't where it should be (I don't know if you'd blame this on Tarrant County residents or whomever). Many streets and sidewalks in the older neighborhoods--primarily south, east and northeast of DT--are in need of repair or expansion. Litter also seems to be an issue.

3) Downtown is small but has a very noticeable pulse to it. Lots of great additions from ice cream vendors to movie theaters to live music outfits.

4) Fort Worth's cultural district is a gem.

5) The city does seem to go to sleep by 11 PM, even with the greatness of Sundance Square. Outside of the DT proper, driving around on a late weekend night feels a lot like driving around Irving, Mesquite, Garland or any number of suburbs. For that matter, Dallas can seem pretty quiet too for a city its size. It might be because the surrounding municipalities have their own "points of interest" that might retard traffic going into the two major cities in the Metroplex.

6) When heading west, Fort Worth ends rather abruptly right at the 820 Loop. It's uncanny.

7) I like what they've done to I-35W heading south from downtown. Could stand some trees, sure, but the freeway is in great shape. How long ago was it rebuilt?

8.) Fort Worth isn't very dense, and that's okay. It seems to suit it. I don't think FW was meant to be noticeably dense anyway. It's as if nature decided that humans would just have to accept not living in Manhattan or South Beach. ;)

9) Unfortunately, the mills on the southern side of town can give off a bit of a stench. :(

10) Overall, it's a comfortable place, though it has some issues with communal neglect, IMO, particularly on the SE and NE sides of town. Some really poor looking neighborhoods there.

6) When heading west, Fort Worth ends rather abruptly right at the 820 Loop. It's uncanny.
It is uncanny. There was a proposal to develop 20,000 acres into mixed use development about five years ago in that area west of 820. The Barnett Shale rush has put that plan on the back burner. Speaking of, the gas rush is another reason for Fort Worth's recent "boom".
7) I like what they've done to I-35W heading south from downtown. Could stand some trees, sure, but the freeway is in great shape. How long ago was it rebuilt?

Finished in 1986. You should have seen in before.

9) Unfortunately, the mills on the southern side of town can give off a bit of a stench.

Not mills. A brewery - Texas' largest.

Finished in 1986. You should have seen in before.

20 years old? Wow. Looks more like 10 years old. Quality construction work. Athough the NCX in Dallas is newer and is more asthetically impressive, the build quality doesn't seem to be as good, or maybe TxDOT does a better job of taking care of the South Freeway.

It does look good, although not really aesthetically pleasing - none of Fort Worth's freeways could be considered such.

But wait. Doesn't the phrase "Dallas" refer to the entire DFW area? Why the differentiation between Dallas and Fort Worth then? I remember once being told that one of the things to see in "Dallas" is the Kimball museum (inside FW city limits.) Maybe I'm confused again. When does one say something is in Dallas, and when do you say something - like a non-aesthetically pleasing freeway - is in Fort Worth?

[2112 scratches head]

But wait. Doesn't the phrase "Dallas" refer to the entire DFW area? Why the differentiation between Dallas and Fort Worth then? I remember once being told that one of the things to see in "Dallas" is the Kimball museum (inside FW city limits.) Maybe I'm confused again. When does one say something is in Dallas, and when do you say something - like a non-aesthetically pleasing freeway - is in Fort Worth?

Put the matches and gasoline away 2112.

Kimball HS IS in Dallas. The KimbEll Museum is in FW. Founded and run by a FW family.

Oh hell, let's strke at least one of those matches...the reason dallas keeps "claiming" the Kimbell (for that matter the Modern and Carter as well) is because the DMA is well, to be nice, not in same league. And for a city like dallas not to have the best museum in the southwest, not to mention one of the best collections of museums in the world is unacceptable. Especially for one so "world class"...

[2112 scratches head]

It is much easier when you don't play dumb.

Some people abbreviate the entire metro area as Dallas. You could argue this is incorrect, but it is really just being lazy. Some people (you yourself are guilty of this) abbreviate the metro Dallas-Fort Worth. You could argue this is incorrect, but it is really just being lazy.

"Dallas" could also mean specifically the city limits of Dallas in certain context. Everyone is different so communications is best handled (especially over a medium like the Internet) it is best to approach something like that with a rational, rather than paranoid demeanor. There are many times when the opposite of what you claim happens but nobody feels paranoid enough to point it out to you every time.

Certain things are more useful in the context of a metro area rather than arbitrary city limits which you often don't know you crossed here. If someone says:

"Dallas city council fights a lot." In this case they're clearly talking about the city of Dallas.

"Dallas has lots of sprawl." In this case people are usually talking about the metro area, especially if the person is from out of state. In each case its something negative, its not about claiming the good things and not claiming the bad, its about the context and whether a city or metro definition is important to the topic. This is done by Houstonians as well, who have no connection to this metro, and also done by oustonian's about their own area but you will not here any paranoid complaints from me.

Jason

And for a city like dallas not to have the best museum in the southwest, not to mention one of the best collections of museums in the world is unacceptable.

So you think it is "unacceptable" that Dallas not have a better museum than Houston? Weird.

Jason

Unless I'm misinterpreting things, I think T Cole is saying that technically the Kimball is in FW and that it is unacceptable that "the best museum in the southwest" is not in Dallas proper.

In other words, he's more pointing out that he/she thinks that the Kimball is (at least arguably anyway) the best museum in the Southwest.

I could be wrong, though.

Archived