Getting called less often for jury duty

District Clerk Chris Daniel spoke to Neartown yesterday. He let us know that 61% of people that get a summons  to serve on juries, respond. That means everyone gets a notice about every 21/2 to 3 years. But if everyone rsponded the time between getting juries summons would go to once every 5 years!

The District Clerk issues summons to everyone in Harris County over 18 who has a drivers license or is a registered voter. Only 69% of those people  respond to that jury summons.  Those 69% get  that jury summons every 2 1/2 years---over and over.  The District Clerk was making the point that if everyone responded-- the time between each individual getting a  jury summons would increase to once every five years----I liked that notion    :)

I got summoned in Harris County three times in one month (but never got picked).  I called the number on the notice the third time and spoke to a very nice woman who put me on some kind of do-not-summon list.  Problem solved.

I've never responded to a jury summons. Will I get arrested?

sooooooooooooooooooo you  are part of that 29% the District Clerk spoke of . . . . . ahem. . . .the DC did regale us with a few charming stories of the creativity of some judges in issuing unique punishments for those that didn't respond. I remember most of instances involving money payments that corresponded to the amount of money you made- so a grocery clerk might have been made to pay $100 while a doctor or lawyer who chose not to respond would pay $1000. Some of the more creative punishments had the audience laughing. Thank goodness he didn't mention those punishments that involve standing on a street corner of a busy street and holding up a sign that declares what you did wrong. 

I got called for jury duty about 20 years ago.............a wrongful death suit agianst a hospital. I got picked and the trail lasted for 5 days. We found the claim unwarranted (Not Guilty). I have not been summoned since.

I don't mind getting called for jury duty-- I guess I have been called twice over the pass 7 years then twice when i lived for 5 years in Ft. Ben County. The new "Jury plaza is completed and beautiful and there is special parking for jurors underground that connects to the jury pool room. The security seemed a bit much-- everyone had to remove their shoes--it was really cold when I was last called and there were a lot of boots and some of those boots needed that special boot removal thingy so the line was really long.

If you bring something to read and a bottle of water, it's not too bad-- I've never had to stay past lunch break

Something interesting the DC mentioned-- There is a place to sign up (on the Harris county district court website) for Harris County Jury duty--it requires a six month committment- and there is a basic back ground check available for anyone who has been convicted in Harris county--you just have to know the last name and birthyear.

Archived