Austin

Dominax

No, FW is the fastest growing city in the U.S. over 500,000. It is seeing suburban like growth rates(almost unheard of for a large city to see such a growth rate). There is a ton of land on the north side, as well as more thanks to annexation. Fort Worth is not expected to catch Dallas, though it is entirely possible.

I've never been to Ft Worth (actually lots of places in Texas I've never been to), and at the risk of showing my ignorance, I had no idea it was an actual big city! I thought it was like a cow town or some glorified Dallas suburd, and I had never even actually heard of Ft Worth until I moved to Texas, I mean, I had heard of DFW, but it never clicked in my mind what the FW meant, guess it was always another three letter airport to me, like LAX. So see, you learn something new everyday, and now I'm gonna go look up more info on Ft Worth.

• 1 month later...
<_< I participated in the 2003 Census check up and Austin's population to that date in the city was already at 835,000 or so. So the 600,000 population is from 1997. I remember that when I first moved here. The current metro population is 1,834,239. that is almost 2,000,000. In 20 Years it is gonna double to 4 million. Fort Worth isnt the fastest growing city. Laredo, Texas is with a population of 297,000 and ten years ago it was 176,000. Laredo's population is expected to be about 650,000 in 20 years. Austin is larger than El Paso and Fort Worth. and Austin is the 13th Largest City in the US.

• 1 month later...
You may need to check with your bosses at the US Census Bureau.  They're still saying Austin has 681,000 residents.

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0763098.html

Travis County has 869,000.  Perhaps this is what you meant.

Well I do know that point.

I just put that for the heck of it that the city continues to grow rapidly everyday.

<_<  I participated in the 2003 Census check up and Austin's population to that date in the city was already at 835,000 or so. So the 600,000 population is from 1997. I remember that when I first moved here. The current metro population is 1,834,239. that is almost 2,000,000. In 20 Years it is gonna double to 4 million. Fort Worth isnt the fastest growing city. Laredo, Texas is with a population of 297,000 and ten years ago it was 176,000. Laredo's population is expected to be about 650,000 in 20 years. Austin is larger than El Paso and Fort Worth. and Austin is the 13th Largest City in the US.

Laredo wont actually be up that much until seeing of 2050 or 2060 the square mileage doesnt grow as much to fit that many in those years. In the next 20 years may be just be up to 350,000 residents. It doesnt grow 100,000 every ten years. Maybe just that one time. That not there average growth. Theres not really too much to do there anyways as maybe as some move to other parts of Texas.

Laredo wont actually be up that much until seeing of 2050 or 2060 the square mileage doesnt grow as much to fit that many in those years. In the next 20 years may be just be up to 350,000 residents. It doesnt grow 100,000 every ten years. Maybe just that one time. That not there average growth. Theres not really too much to do there anyways as maybe as some move to other parts of Texas.

I am from there, I dont know why people move there. But i have talked to some people who have moved there from bigger cities and the reason people move there is because they said there is alot of opportunity there and i beleive it! The land is rich. But hey that city is adding alot of fun stuff like 2 other malls, a waterpark, theme park. it is the largest inland port in the US. I mean u got to admit its gonna grow fast. and it is going to be about 500,000 in twenty years. Like i said there were 100,000 less people 15 years ago. The city grows 79% every ten years and it is proven. Mean while Austin only grows

57% every ten years

I am from there, I dont know why people move there. But i have talked to some people who have moved there from bigger cities and the reason people move there is because they said there is alot of opportunity there and i beleive it! The land is rich. But hey that city is adding alot of fun stuff like 2 other malls, a waterpark, theme park. it is the largest inland port in the US. I mean u got to admit its gonna grow fast. and it is going to be about 500,000 in twenty years. Like i said there were 100,000 less people 15 years ago. The city grows 79% every ten years and it is proven. Mean while Austin only grows 

57% every ten years

Your enthusiasm for Austin and Laredo is great, but making up numbers isn't the way to support either area.

1) Laredo is not, and has never been the fastest growing city in the US. Cities like Henderson are clearly ahead of them. There are 6 or 7 others right in the same population range that have done the same for years. Heck even Plano Texas outgrew them all through the 90s, and will only stop because its full.

15 years ago Laredo had 100,000 less people, that's great. Plano had 120,000 less people, and Henderson had 159,000 less people. Laredo couldn't even support the kind of growth Henderson has.

2) Austin is nowhere near 1.8 million. It is growing very fast, but there are about 20 metros growing faster than Austin. It very likely will not even be to 1.8million by the next 2010 census.

I'd be interested in your response to the previous poster than mentioned your bosses do not agree with your made up numbers. Any sources?

Jason

• 2 weeks later...
<_< I participated in the 2003 Census check up and Austin's population to that date in the city was already at 835,000 or so. So the 600,000 population is from 1997. I remember that when I first moved here. The current metro population is 1,834,239. that is almost 2,000,000. In 20 Years it is gonna double to 4 million. Fort Worth isnt the fastest growing city. Laredo, Texas is with a population of 297,000 and ten years ago it was 176,000. Laredo's population is expected to be about 650,000 in 20 years. Austin is larger than El Paso and Fort Worth. and Austin is the 13th Largest City in the US.

I think you meant that Laredo has a population of 197,000.

[My figures were from this PBS Show. Honestly i dont know the truth but in the Texas State History Museum in downtown austin one of the movies there says Laredo is the fastest growning city so did that PBS show. i dont know

When in doubt, go to the US Census bureau website.

http://www.census.gov/popest/cities/tables...-EST2004-01.xls

The July 2004 estimate from the US Census bureau for Laredo is 203,212.

You can also find the list of fastest growing cities here.

http://www.census.gov/popest/cities/tables...-EST2004-03.xls

The 10 Fastest growing cities in Texas with a Pop. over 100,000 are, in order:

1. McAllen

2. Brownsville

3. Laredo

4. Fort Worth

5. Grand Prairie

6. San Antonio

7. El Paso

8. Arlington

9. Plano

10. Waco

When in doubt, go to the US Census bureau website.

http://www.census.gov/popest/cities/tables...-EST2004-01.xls

The July 2004 estimate from the US Census bureau for Laredo is 203,212.

You can also find the list of fastest growing cities here.

http://www.census.gov/popest/cities/tables...-EST2004-03.xls

The 10 Fastest growing cities in Texas with a Pop. over 100,000 are, in order:

1. McAllen

2. Brownsville

3. Laredo

4. Fort Worth

5. Grand Prairie

6. San Antonio

7. El Paso

8. Arlington

9. Plano

10. Waco

Excellent information. Nothing extinguishes a potential flame war quite like cold, hard facts.

As a point of interest, from the same table you provided, here are the ten fastest growing cities in America with a population over 100,000:

1. Port Saint Lucie, Florida

2. Elk Grove, California

3. North Las Vegas, Nevada

4. Gilbert, Arizona

5. Cape Coral, Florida

6. Moreno Valley, California

7. Chandler, Arizona

8. Miramar, Florida

9. Rancho Cucamonga, California

10. Roseville, California.

The first northern city on the list is

14. Joliet, Illinois

The first Texas entry is

18. McAllen, Texas

What I think is interesting to note, however, is that these are growth RATES, so they're percentages. Meaning that smaller towns and cities have an easier time rising to the top. If Houston adds 20,000 people it's barely a blip on the radar. If McAllen adds 10,000 people it's enormous.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Austin :D

Population in city

1,422,870 in metro

Austin is the only city with a 600,000 to 700,000th residental city with one major interstate of I-35 that people cross through to see and find Austin.

Austin has came over Fort Worth and El Paso Texas with these residents and buildings built here.

Like other cities with these many residents that have more interstates crossing their towns that people visit and live in has not been growing rapidly like Austin, TX.

That must be one BUSY interstate going through a city with that many people.

• 3 weeks later...

Actually, according to the US Census Bureau's population finder, Laredo's population as of 2004 is estimated at just over 200,000... not nearly 300,000. It's grown a lot in ten years, but not as much as you're saying it has. It now has about the same population of the city in which I live (Shreveport.)

Does Laredo even have a skyline? I've never been there, but I also can't seem to find any good pictures of the city. Obviously it's growing rapidly, but what is fueling the growth?

Isn't it getting pretty dangerous near Laredo? Especially if you cross the border into Nuevo Laredo. I hear alot of drug trafficing is spilling into the U.S. side. I keep hearing alot of murders and kidnappings are happening. I would assume that would slow down anybody from moving into Laredo. :unsure:

Isn't it getting pretty dangerous near Laredo? Especially if you cross the border into Nuevo Laredo. I hear alot of drug trafficing is spilling into the U.S. side. I keep hearing alot of murders and kidnappings are happening. I would assume that would slow down anybody from moving into Laredo. :unsure:

Yea what about El Paso they grew from 515,000 to 618,000 now its gone back down slowly to 579k to 563,000. It may be the same there too. :wacko:

Laredo grows in population but not as much as building out in the areas. So it could grow much slower this time but not as fast. :wacko:

Actually, according to the US Census Bureau's population finder, Laredo's population as of 2004 is estimated at just over 200,000... not nearly 300,000. It's grown a lot in ten years, but not as much as you're saying it has. It now has about the same population of the city in which I live (Shreveport.)

Does Laredo even have a skyline? I've never been there, but I also can't seem to find any good pictures of the city. Obviously it's growing rapidly, but what is fueling the growth?

where did u find think kind of info

show this to emporis.com :lol:

• 4 months later...

i35 through austin is terrible. i lived there from 1989 - 1996, and 1999 - 2000... i avoided 35 unless it was 3a and i was driving home from partying downtown... which, actually, is another time to avoid i35 if you catch my drift.

• 3 years later...

Well, to be fair, alot of people take MoPac which is on the north side of the city that passes by Downtown. We also have a tollway loop that nobody uses. Alot of other people take Lamar in the morning. There is 183 also, where everyone points North an Northwest like Leander and Cedar Park travel in from to jump on Mopac. Still not nearly as bad as Houston in the morning.

We went to Austin this past weekend and I want to ask this ... when you go 290 and then exit, make the loopty-loop and get back on 290 ... how is that possible to still be on 290?

If I'm understanding you right, its because US-290 is overlapped with I-35.

The blue line on Google Maps shows US-290 as it passes through Austin. Link

Is this what your talking about?

Archived