World subways at scale

Simbha

I found this site which shows city subway networks at scale. It's all in black-and-white and may not be precise - given, for example, that I don't think that MARTA's underground system is actually as extensive as it appears in the Atlanta map. Regardless, I thought it was interesting to see how these systems vary in extent and shape.

Here's the link: http://fakeisthenewreal.org/subway/

Here's the New York one, as an example:

newyork4.jpg

P.S. To a mod: I wasn't sure if to start this thread here or in Meanwhile, In the Rest of the World..., but I figure this is more transportation-related than about construction occurring elsewhere. Of course, please move it if appropriate.

Ooh, thanks for that, Highway6

Edit: Kinda puts things in perspective regarding Houston, eh?

Compare ours to Dallas, and LA.. comparable cities in size, but their systems are far reaching into the extents of their sprawl.

Now imagine ours with the phase II lines that are currently planned or under construction. It's still going to be a relatively compact network.

It shows the 2 opposing philosophies - build the core first vs reach the commuters first. We had the network of HOVs and commuter buses in place, allowing us to go core-first. Consequently, we have the 2nd highest per mile LRT ridership in the US ( not counting Subways systems - ATL, NY, DC, CHI ) and blow Dallas and LA out of the water. http://en.wikipedia....ms_by_ridership

If you were to add our HOV and Commuter bus routes to that map... we'd have a more extensive and far reaching system than Dallas and LA at a fraction of the cost. That being said.. we'll get the far reaching CRT eventually.

Compare ours to Dallas, and LA.. comparable cities in size, but their systems are far reaching into the extents of their sprawl.

Now imagine ours with the phase II lines that are currently planned or under construction. It's still going to be a relatively compact network.

It shows the 2 opposing philosophies - build the core first vs reach the commuters first. We had the network of HOVs and commuter buses in place, allowing us to go core-first. Consequently, we have the 2nd highest per mile LRT ridership in the US ( not counting Subways systems - ATL, NY, DC, CHI ) and blow Dallas and LA out of the water. http://en.wikipedia....ms_by_ridership

If you were to add our HOV and Commuter bus routes to that map... we'd have a more extensive and far reaching system than Dallas and LA at a fraction of the cost. That being said.. we'll get the far reaching CRT eventually.

Precicely why our light rail system that we are building will be more effective.

Is this really Boston's? I thought they had a big system.

boston4c.gif

They have the most efficient system by far. They are the one city that tops us, if you look at that link I posted, and they do so significantly.

Boston isn't that big.. their city limits are 85% smaller than Houston.. Their MSA is about 60% smaller than ours. They are middle of the pack as far as size ( track miles) but that's because their city size and layout and density allows them to be.

Boston serves 215k boardings per day with 25 miles of track for #1 in boardings per mile.

Dallas serves 69k with 72 miles of track

LA serves 154k with 62 miles of track.

The worst fair sized city appears to be Trenton NJ.. they serve 10k with 34 miles

Houston is 35k with 7.5 miles. ( 1/2 as much as dallas ridership with 1/10th of the track ), #2 in boardings per mile.

San Francisco, with as big and far reaching a system as they appear to have on that map, is doing something right..

They are #3 in boardings per mile with 158k served with 37 miles. ( same boardings as LA, but with 60% of the track)

EDIT: I missed the footnote on that wiki table that said those #s were for LRT only... but some of those complete systems also have heavy rail. E.G. SF BART is 37 miles of LRT, but 71 miles complete system.... So Nevermind, scratch all those comparisons.

San Francisco, with as big and far reaching a system as they appear to have on that map, is doing something right..

They are #3 in boardings per mile with 158k served with 37 miles. ( same boardings as LA, but with 60% of the track)

I was going to say it is operating costs of a personal vehicle in california vs other places, but LA isn't near the same value. I'd venture to guess that in addition to cost of parking is probably a lot more sinister in SF compared to LA, that and there may be higher costs related to toll roads. Plus, I think LA is less dense than SF, that's just a hunch ;-)

The map of Boston is only showing the FOUR subway/light rail lines. There's the Red Line, Orange Line, Blue Line, and original Green Line (runs largely on surface streets once outside of the Back Bay).

However, Boston also has commuter rail that connects to these lines, as well as a bus-rapid transit line (Silver Line), extensive bus routes, and even several commuter ferry lines that connect the Financial District with North and South Shore communities.

Archived