Electrician? Any recommendations?

We just bought a house in the Heights. There is a little bit of knob-and-tube wiring remaining. It seems to be functioning just fine, and only runs things like sockets where you plug in lamps. We'd still like to get it replaced, as insulating around it in the attic can be a challenge and we'd feel a little safer if it was upgraded.

Does anyone have an electrician they can recommend? Someone who is comfortable dealing with knob-and-tube wiring would be great. Has anyone had this kind of work done?

We would appreciate any recommendations.

Thanks.

Does anyone have an electrician they can recommend? Someone who is comfortable dealing with knob-and-tube wiring would be great. Has anyone had this kind of work done?

Thanks.

We haven't used them yet, but Harmony Electric on Yale got several positive recommendations on the Woodland Heights Bulletin Board.

We just bought a house in the Heights. There is a little bit of knob-and-tube wiring remaining. It seems to be functioning just fine, and only runs things like sockets where you plug in lamps. We'd still like to get it replaced, as insulating around it in the attic can be a challenge and we'd feel a little safer if it was upgraded.

Thanks.

Sorry I don't have a recommendation, but I did just want to comment that my insurance agent (State Farm) wanted me to tell them that all the knob-and-tube wiring had been replaced in my house before they would write a homeowner's policy. Which I did, and which it was (shortly thereafter, wink-wink-nod-nod)

Incidentally, all of the electric work in my house was done by Time-Life Books, Do-it-yourself series, volume 3.

Sorry I don't have a recommendation, but I did just want to comment that my insurance agent (State Farm) wanted me to tell them that all the knob-and-tube wiring had been replaced in my house before they would write a homeowner's policy. Which I did, and which it was (shortly thereafter, wink-wink-nod-nod)

Incidentally, all of the electric work in my house was done by Time-Life Books, Do-it-yourself series, volume 3.

Congratulations! Due to the, in my opinion, stupid rules of the City of Houston, your house does not meet code. In Houston ALL electrical work must be done by a licensed electrician, and the appropriate permits pulled. State law allows homeowners to do their own work, but also allows cities that meet certain requirements (basically Houston) to set their own, stricter, rules. I was mighty peeved when I found out about that. I could rewire my garage myself, but noooooo, I have to pay an electrician $100 per hour. The City will not issue an electrical permit to anyone who isn't licensed.

Congratulations! Due to the, in my opinion, stupid rules of the City of Houston, your house does not meet code. In Houston ALL electrical work must be done by a licensed electrician, and the appropriate permits pulled. State law allows homeowners to do their own work, but also allows cities that meet certain requirements (basically Houston) to set their own, stricter, rules. I was mighty peeved when I found out about that. I could rewire my garage myself, but noooooo, I have to pay an electrician $100 per hour. The City will not issue an electrical permit to anyone who isn't licensed.

While I generally follow the rules, I have found that the City of Houston goes out of their way to make a person want to cheat. For example, I used to have an old dilapidated garage-like building on my lot which was on the verge of falling down. I finally decided to demolish it and I went to the city permit office to find out about getting a demolition permit. They directed me from one area to the next until finally a lady asked me, "Are there any utilities running to it?" and I said, "Well, it looks like there used to be a washer and dryer in there, so there is a water pipe and a drain".

She replied, "Well, then you'll have to go upstairs and get a utility disconnect permit before we can issue a demolition permit."

I walked right out the front door and lo-and-behold the damn garage blew down during (or was that right after??) the next heavy storm.

We haven't used them yet, but Harmony Electric on Yale got several positive recommendations on the Woodland Heights Bulletin Board.

Thank you for the recommendation. I just called them and they said they no longer do that kind of work, as it takes too long. They prefer shorter jobs. Oh well. Back to looking for someone who will/can do it.

A couple people also mentioned Bakenhus on the Woodland BB, but said they're more expensive (thus my initial recommendation of Harmony). Here's the contact info for them:

Ken Bakenhus 713-682-2283

While I generally follow the rules, I have found that the City of Houston goes out of their way to make a person want to cheat. For example, I used to have an old dilapidated garage-like building on my lot which was on the verge of falling down. I finally decided to demolish it and I went to the city permit office to find out about getting a demolition permit. They directed me from one area to the next until finally a lady asked me, "Are there any utilities running to it?" and I said, "Well, it looks like there used to be a washer and dryer in there, so there is a water pipe and a drain".

She replied, "Well, then you'll have to go upstairs and get a utility disconnect permit before we can issue a demolition permit."

I walked right out the front door and lo-and-behold the damn garage blew down during (or was that right after??) the next heavy storm.

I thought the Demolition Guidelines posted on the City of Houston permit site were pretty easy to follow. I was in and out in less than 20 minutes.

Demolition Guidelines

Given that the water and sewer lines in the building to be demolished connect to the City's infrastructure, it is not an unreasonable demand that the lines be disconnected prior to demolition. I certainly would not wish to drink your demolished shed with my water. And, of all the permits required by the City, the electrical permit seems the most logical. While we may be impressed with our own electrical work, the inspections give some assurance to the person who purchases your home when you move out that it may not burn down due to poor electrical work.

By the way, I posted a master electrician to the other thread started by the OP.

I thought the Demolition Guidelines posted on the City of Houston permit site were pretty easy to follow. I was in and out in less than 20 minutes.

Demolition Guidelines

Given that the water and sewer lines in the building to be demolished connect to the City's infrastructure, it is not an unreasonable demand that the lines be disconnected prior to demolition. I certainly would not wish to drink your demolished shed with my water. And, of all the permits required by the City, the electrical permit seems the most logical. While we may be impressed with our own electrical work, the inspections give some assurance to the person who purchases your home when you move out that it may not burn down due to poor electrical work.

By the way, I posted a master electrician to the other thread started by the OP.

I don't mind having to get a permit to do electrical work. I don't mind having the City inspect my work, and red tag me if I do something wrong. I don't see why I should have to pay an electrician $100 per hour to replace the 60 year old wire in my garage with new Romex, install a few junction boxes, etc when I am perfectly capable of doing that work. As it is, I am not finishing the rewire, because I can't afford it, thus increasing the risk of a fire from the old wires and exposed connections. The City is being purposely stupid.

I fail to see why it is the City's fault that you failed to budget the job correctly. Further, the garage is the most dangerous room in a house, with motor vehicles, gas cans, paint, and other chemicals just waiting for a spark to go all Ford Explorer on you. Lastly, if you are paying $100 per hour, you did not bid the job correctly, and are getting ripped off. Again, not the City's fault. Most electricians bid by the drop at $75 to $100.

Source of my vast electrical knowledge? I'm currently having a garage wired. Not a single electrician bid by the hour.

I fail to see why it is the City's fault that you failed to budget the job correctly. Further, the garage is the most dangerous room in a house, with motor vehicles, gas cans, paint, and other chemicals just waiting for a spark to go all Ford Explorer on you. Lastly, if you are paying $100 per hour, you did not bid the job correctly, and are getting ripped off. Again, not the City's fault. Most electricians bid by the drop at $75 to $100.

Source of my vast electrical knowledge? I'm currently having a garage wired. Not a single electrician bid by the hour.

So confrontational in your support of the city......

Demolition Guidelines

Given that the water and sewer lines in the building to be demolished connect to the City's infrastructure, it is not an unreasonable demand that the lines be disconnected prior to demolition. I certainly would not wish to drink your demolished shed with my water.

Actually, the water and sewer lines connected to the water and sewer lines from my house, so I fail to see why:

Step 1 Plumbing Permit. A master plumber must purchase a plumbing permit and disconnect all sewer and water supply lines connected to the building/structure being demolished.

Step 2 Sewer Disconnected. The plumber must have the sewer disconnect permitted, inspected, and finaled by the plumbing inspection section prior to requesting a demo permit.

any more than if I had wanted to remove a sink from my master bathroom and cap off the supply and drain pipes.

And if you got a master plumber to pull a permit and disconnect all the lines and have it inspected in 20 minutes, I imagine the master plumber did it for free, too!

Actually, the water and sewer lines connected to the water and sewer lines from my house, so I fail to see why:

Which in turn connects to the water and sewer lines from the City. If your garage is in the back of your yard, the sewer line for the garage likely connects to the line running to the alley, where the sewer main is. The water definitely would connect to the house.

Admittedly, my water was disconnected prior to pulling the permit. The inspector merely made sure there was not still a live pipe. Because the water system contains drinking water for millions, the City is understandably pretty protective of the system. There are all sorts of ways that contaminants can get in. The fact that you are intelligent and industrious enough to cap off the water correctly, is small comfort to a city with many morons living within the city limits. The city codes are not there because of you and I, but rather the idiot who would leave the sewer line uncapped underground, allowing dirt to clog the system.

You should also realize that a homeowner may do his own plumbing. No master needed if you cap off the pipes correctly.

I had the whole garage bid. It was over $2k. I asked how many hours, they said 20. It's a big garage, with a number of plugs, 4 lights, and a couple of openers. I had three bids, they were all similar.

I find it stupid that the City requires an electrician when inspections are part of the process. If my work doesn't pass, then red tag it and disconnect the power. Otherwise, let me do the work I can do and save some money.

Yes! HCB Electric - Harry is the greatest! Straightened out my bizarre shadetree electrician issues in a day. Specializes in older homes. http://www.hcbelectric.com/

Thank you for the recommendation. I called them, left a message and they never called me back. Interestingly, I saw the same complaint about them elsewhere. Don't know why they didn't call me back.

Ken Bakenhus 713-682-2283

Thanks. I will give him a call.

• 7 months later...

Just had Harry from HCB Electric over yesterday to install new lights in our kitchen. Harry was extraordinarily friendly, knowledgeable, and a pleasure to work with. I will absolutely call him again in the future for any electrical needs. I can't say enough nice things about him!

• 6 months later...

Thank you for the recommendation. I just called them and they said they no longer do that kind of work, as it takes too long. They prefer shorter jobs. Oh well. Back to looking for someone who will/can do it.

I had the same experience with Harmony Electric...my job was too much work and they were too lazy....declined to quote....that will take too long. I think they prefer the job where they go to a persons home who has zero electrical knowledge that happens to have an outlet not working, and they charge them $250 to put a new one in or, reconnect a wire that came undone somehow.

I would not recommend a company to anyone who declines to do real work, because to me that implies that they are really sticking it to the people who are naive enough to use them for a small job.

Archived