Sirens In Katy

Mr. B

Wow I have been back here on the end of Fry Road for close to 13 years now and I have rarely ever heard sirens in the area. But in the last 6 months it seems like its almost a nightly thing to hear sirens zooming around back here. I can't say what is the cause but they sure are regular around here now.

B

• 3 weeks later...

In the last few weeks I too have heard a lot of sirens in the early evening after dark. This is around 1093 and Grand Parkway.

I don't know if it is police, emergency vehicles or what.

It may be a police rotation of their patrols. They may be focusing on certain areas. I see a lot of speeding on Grand Parkway and do hear high powered cars late at night, maybe racing along Grand Parkway.

As I am rarely out after dark, I appreciate the sirens as it should keep crime down around my area.

By any chance is there a new fire station nearby? In our case, about 99% of the sirens we hear are ambulances.

I live about 3/4 of a mile from a fire station, and we have a lot of elderly in the neighborhood, so we hear sirens every day.

I also live about 500 feet from 288, so we get sirens there too with ambulances heading to the Med Center.

I've learned to tune out the sirens unless they stop on my street!

I was just about to say.. I live in West Oaks Village at FM1464 and FM1093. My neighbor is a fireman with the volunteer department here. He told me 90% of the time we're hearing ambulances. The other 10% of the time are fire trucks or cops. He said the way to tell is if its just the woo woo woo siren its an ambulance. If its the air raid sound with loud honking air horns then its the fire truck.

I've been hearing them a lot lately, but over the last five years its been cyclic.

It's from all the chatter about low-income housing. The emergency services are just trying to get everybody prepped for what Katy will sound like once non-Americans move into the neighborhood.

Little bit late for that as the apartments have already taken over back here. This is the end of Mason Road which is the projects section of Cinco Ranch. As for Non-Americans can't say who back here is an actual citizen or not as we have an eclectic mix around here with a good bit of asian families buying houses back in this area. Most seem to be young families working for the engineering firms over on park 10 area. As for the apartments and who lives there not sure. Cinco Ranch HOA oversee's them which I guess is a good thng to keep them up to standards. Can't say who runs that huge complex off of 1093 and Westpark Tollway.

Firehouse is right down the road about mile and half but these were either police or ambulance.

We get a lot of racing and speeding back here ever since the West Park opened up.

Actually the Sirens have grow quiet lately.

Little bit late for that as the apartments have already taken over back here. This is the end of Mason Road which is the projects section of Cinco Ranch.

Actually the Sirens have grow quiet lately.

Interesting. This seems to fly in the face of all the apartment critics.

Not really as 4 of the complexes are under Cinco Ranch Control and according to CR HOA they are going to keep a tight rein on the management, etc. But almost all of them are relativly new so only time will tell how they keep on the management companies. The other 2 units across the West Park I don't know who controls those and they are relativly new as well so again only time will tell.

The average cost to rent a one bedroom at the one's I checked was around $800 +++ On up.

Cinco was planning to build another complex on the corner of Mason and Fry which would have pretty much put 5 complexes within a 5 mile radius back here and there were many unhappy homeowners who bought out here under the lies of all land was going to be used only for Lotted homesites, schools. But then again Newland didn't care since the apartments are not by the lake homes or Bayou Oaks areas.

From my understanding they pulled the plug on the other complex because of something they deemed suspicious and shady about the management company that was trying to build it. It may still happen one day for all I know if someone comes in and gets thier stuff in order. If they do it will cause quite a stir as some very long time residents I know say they will probably move if more apartments come.

I can't say who lives in the complexes but was told by a couple people that it was mostly Hispanic, Black and Asian but I cannot vouch for that or back up those statements.

Perhaps if thier is someone on the boards who lives in one of the complexes can say.

Not really as 4 of the complexes are under Cinco Ranch Control and according to CR HOA they are going to keep a tight rein on the management, etc. But almost all of them are relativly new so only time will tell how they keep on the management companies. The other 2 units across the West Park I don't know who controls those and they are relativly new as well so again only time will tell.

The average cost to rent a one bedroom at the one's I checked was around $800 +++ On up.

Cinco was planning to build another complex on the corner of Mason and Fry which would have pretty much put 5 complexes within a 5 mile radius back here and there were many unhappy homeowners who bought out here under the lies of all land was going to be used only for Lotted homesites, schools. But then again Newland didn't care since the apartments are not by the lake homes or Bayou Oaks areas.

From my understanding they pulled the plug on the other complex because of something they deemed suspicious and shady about the management company that was trying to build it. It may still happen one day for all I know if someone comes in and gets thier stuff in order. If they do it will cause quite a stir as some very long time residents I know say they will probably move if more apartments come.

I can't say who lives in the complexes but was told by a couple people that it was mostly Hispanic, Black and Asian but I cannot vouch for that or back up those statements.

Perhaps if thier is someone on the boards who lives in one of the complexes can say.

I would say that people live in those complexes. As long as management is held accountable, then they should be an asset to the area. Problems arise though, when the $800/Mo. one bedroom is home for 15 people, and the management fails to address it. I've lived in a lot of apartments growing up, with my father poorly educated, and didn't speak much english, and learned what suffering was. I suppose people outside our horror looked at us with fear in those days. In fact, we didn't "Live", we just, "Existed". My reason for going all the way with not only my education, but fighting for my strata in life. I choose not to live in that again - or, around it again. I have worked very, very hard, and overcome huge problems to get where I am. So, it is not bigoted for the home owners who, "Have" to be fearful of the risk of losing their investment.

• 1 month later...

If you're hearing sirens at night (or any other time) it's most likely to be ambulances. Medical to fire calls run at least 4 to 1, and what drives medic calls are assisted senior living facilities, not apartments.

If you're hearing sirens at night (or any other time) it's most likely to be ambulances. Medical to fire calls run at least 4 to 1, and what drives medic calls are assisted senior living facilities, not apartments.

Could be but unsure. I did speak to one of the local deputies in the neighborhood one day and he said that they are seeing a lot of people traveling Mason Road back here and the feeder along the Westpark at very high speeds so perhaps it could be that or just a mix of all with the firestation just down the road.

Its been kind of hit or miss lately with many times nothing and then you get a spell where you here them quite a bit.

I know we are expecting some increase now that school is out. Have seen on quite a few occasions during the day where the local teenagers love to blast down Mason in thier shiny sports cars.

Little bit late for that as the apartments have already taken over back here. This is the end of Mason Road which is the projects section of Cinco Ranch.

Projects? Seriously?

Firehouse is right down the road about mile and half but these were either police or ambulance.

The ambulances are kept at the fire stations in this area.

Projects? Seriously?

The ambulances are kept at the fire stations in this area.

No not serious its just a running joke with some of the long timers that live back here. I had a friend on the board for Cinco Ranch HOA years back and she said that it was felt by I guess the HOA or Newland or whomever but they would never build houses this cheap in Cinco Ranch again (The houses were selling around $70,000 to $110,000). Perhaps they did but I never ran across any of the newer sections going for that price. Also for many years while the other section of Cinco was always getting fresh flowers, beautification, etc our section back here was getting squat. We had to beg them to put in some bushes or anything to the entrances although we paid basically the same maintenance fees. So it is just sort of a running joke that the 2 subdivisions on the end of Mason were like the Projects of Cinco Ranch. We were here but that was about it.

• The title was changed to Sirens In Katy

Archived