610 At 45N Construction - Anybody know what the long-term plan is?

Jesse

The Houston traffic website says that some lanes will be closed through April, 2011!! That stinks. Traffic at the interchange was bad enough already. Anybody know what they're doing?

Rebuilding the roadway funded with the Stimulus money.

One lane will be closed on N Loop in each direction from Ella to I45 till the project is over. And they seem to be re-doing all the I45/610 interchange ramps and bridges.

TexDOT page for the project #027114223

• 2 weeks later...

Now it looks like they're gearing up to put all the Eastbound lanes on the Westbound half of the highway. That should be fun!

I drive through there every day to and from work - traffic is a mess since they started -- and they only have had one exit lane blocked....Im not looking forward to more than a year of that - I hope they finish early....

• 2 months later...

I see no logical reason why the onramp from North Main onto 610 Eastbound has been closed for the past 2 weeks. It doesn't even show up on any of the TxDot 'closure' maps or lists. What gives? Is it closed indefinitely? (through the end of the project?)

I see no logical reason why the onramp from North Main onto 610 Eastbound has been closed for the past 2 weeks. It doesn't even show up on any of the TxDot 'closure' maps or lists. What gives? Is it closed indefinitely? (through the end of the project?)

That has puzzled me as well. I have to take Airline to 45 now, or go all the way down to the Nicholson on ramp and face the wrath of the Starbucks crowd. Has anyone noticed that they have removed several houses behind the tire shop facing 610 @ N. Main? Basically it was odd numbered side of 29th from Main almost to Columbia and it has been leveled. I was wondering if this was done as a result of 610's expansion or not.

We moved to 25th about 2 weeks before this started. I work in the Galleria and now take 18th to the West Loop.

I only drove it for about 2 weeks, but the roads seemed fine to me. I am guessing they are burning federal money because it would be better spent fixing the miles and miles of Houston roads with gargantuan pot holes and shoulders that have me buying new shocks every 6 months.

We moved to 25th about 2 weeks before this started. I work in the Galleria and now take 18th to the West Loop.

I only drove it for about 2 weeks, but the roads seemed fine to me. I am guessing they are burning federal money because it would be better spent fixing the miles and miles of Houston roads with gargantuan pot holes and shoulders that have me buying new shocks every 6 months.

(since I couldn't find the edit button)

Except for San Felipe in between the West Loop and Sage, which they have fully rebuilt and are now going back and tearing up what they re-did. It's like the city planner is seeing how much of my 5 or 7 mile commute he can tear up....

• 1 month later...

Still closed. And now traffic is really starting to back up near the Starbucks, causing a true hazard. Folks who can't bring themselves to get out of their car for their morning $6 coffee back up the drive-thru line all the way to the 610 feeder, causing more traffic and hazards for people trying to get onto the onramp from Nicholson and the other sidestreets. Not to mention the fact that there are no signs saying that the Nicholson/Starbucks onramp is the last chance to get on 610 before being forced onto 45-S, so they freak out when passing the North Main onramp and don't know where to go.

The influx of extra cars from the Nicholson onramp causes traffic backup on 610 directly, since there is no dedicated onramp lane - it just spits you straight into the right lane of traffic.

So, to sum up my b1tching and complaining, I think closing the North Main onramp is stupid and has made things worse. Wah wah. Is there an office I could call somewhere to ask them what the deal is? Or should I just head over there at 2am and move the "road closed" signs myself? :-)

• 1 month later...

got on N Loop last night and all the west bound lanes have been moved over onto the newly finished portion. So it looks like the next phase of construction will be the old west-bound lanes. Couldn't see what was going on with the east bound side since it was dark.

Driving on the new pavement is NICE.

got on N Loop last night and all the west bound lanes have been moved over onto the newly finished portion. So it looks like the next phase of construction will be the old west-bound lanes. Couldn't see what was going on with the east bound side since it was dark.

Driving on the new pavement is NICE.

Nice, but by no means NEEDED, would you agree?

Nice, but by no means NEEDED, would you agree?

The pavement seemed ok as-is from a driver's standpoint, but I'm no highway engineer so I can't say for certain. That highway was originally constructed from 1960-1963 and resurfaced with no modifications to the road configuration sometime around the early to mid 80s. Basically, it's a late 50s designed freeway with 80s pavement. I haven't been out there in a while, but I hope they aren't just going to slap down new pavement and be done. I hope they are also going to do some modifications to the road configuration (esp. concerning lane balance) to bring it up to current design standards.

• 4 weeks later...

The pavement seemed ok as-is from a driver's standpoint, but I'm no highway engineer so I can't say for certain. That highway was originally constructed from 1960-1963 and resurfaced with no modifications to the road configuration sometime around the early to mid 80s. Basically, it's a late 50s designed freeway with 80s pavement. I haven't been out there in a while, but I hope they aren't just going to slap down new pavement and be done. I hope they are also going to do some modifications to the road configuration (esp. concerning lane balance) to bring it up to current design standards.

Seems like they've repaved everything but the tops of the bridges/overpasses (at least near N. Main, Yale, etc). Don't tell me they're aiming for a 90% job....

Seems like they've repaved everything but the tops of the bridges/overpasses (at least near N. Main, Yale, etc). Don't tell me they're aiming for a 90% job....

It wouldn't be out of the ordinary. It's a common practice, especially if the structural evaluation of the bridge shows it to be ok.

A few weeks ago they were knocking out the concrete from a part of the Shepherd/Durham overpass and replacing it.

• 3 weeks later...

When do I get my eastbound Durham/Shepherd exit back? Doesn't look like soon.

According to the Transstar traffic page (hover over the 'construction' triangles), you're getting it back in June

My Eastbound N. Main onramp is still slated for April 2011. It makes no sense! There's almost no construction down that far, and it's caused too many near-miss accidents by having to circle West past Starbucks to get on 610 East. Too many folks coming off 610E at 75MPH and swirving across 3 lanes of traffic to get their drivethru double nonfat mochastupidchino.

My wife said that someone moved the cones blocking the onramp last week sometime (my hero!) but the city moved them back shortly thereafter.

According to the Transstar traffic page (hover over the 'construction' triangles), you're getting it back in June

My Eastbound N. Main onramp is still slated for April 2011. It makes no sense! There's almost no construction down that far, and it's caused too many near-miss accidents by having to circle West past Starbucks to get on 610 East. Too many folks coming off 610E at 75MPH and swirving across 3 lanes of traffic to get their drivethru double nonfat mochastupidchino.

My wife said that someone moved the cones blocking the onramp last week sometime (my hero!) but the city moved them back shortly thereafter.

Are you sure it's not just a short merge distance for your on ramp? That's what it seemed like to me, since what was previously the shoulder is now a traffic lane.

Are you sure it's not just a short merge distance for your on ramp? That's what it seemed like to me, since what was previously the shoulder is now a traffic lane.

Hmm. That's an interesting point. I hadn't looked at that, actually. I'll check it out tonight. But that onramp/shoulder lane still is exits to Airline, correct? Or did they change it from an 'Exit Only' to an 'Exit Optional' lane?

The Nicholson onramp (at Starbucks) is quite short too though - It dumps you onto that new right-hand (formerly a dedicated merge) lane.

I can still complain about them closing my onramp though, right? :-)

Hmm. That's an interesting point. I hadn't looked at that, actually. I'll check it out tonight. But that onramp/shoulder lane still is exits to Airline, correct? Or did they change it from an 'Exit Only' to an 'Exit Optional' lane?

The Nicholson onramp (at Starbucks) is quite short too though - It dumps you onto that new right-hand (formerly a dedicated merge) lane.

I can still complain about them closing my onramp though, right? :-)

Nope. Checked it this morning. The (closed) onramp at North Main does not merge. It sends cars to a dedicated "4th" lane on the right, which exits 1/2 mile later at Airline. There is no forced merge onto the 3 main lanes of 610E.

• 8 months later...
  • The title was changed to 610 At 45N Construction - Anybody know what the long-term plan is?

Archived