September 11

brijonmang

I know 8 years isn't exactly a marquee anniversary but I'm surprised no one has brought up the date yet today. I'm sure most of you are like me and still remember exactly where you were and what you were doing when you heard or saw what was happening. Even at my office today no one has really mentioned anything about it. I find it odd considering it is arguably the single most historic event in the last 50 years.

It is unarguably not the most historic event in the last 50 years, but it had a powerful effect on this American.

Considering this is an Architecture forum, yes it is the most important historic event. I dare you to name something more significant than the revelation of the spectacle.

Considering this is an Architecture forum, yes it is the most important historic event. I dare you to name something more significant than the revelation of the spectacle.

Pearl harbor

WWII

1906 (03?) San Fransisco Earthquake

1900 Galveston storm

The McCarthyism era

The End of WW2

The Civil Rights movement

The Kennedy assassination(s)

The 60's-70's anti war movement

Those are some of what I would consider "significant", a few of them MORE significant, but not by much.

I think that we, as a nation, have a notoriously short memory when it comes to historical events.

An increasing number of people think we did NOT go to moon, we knew about Pearl Harbor before it happened, AND the 9/11 "truther" idiots that believe that it was all staged.

On the grand stage of history, it's difficult to make a case for discrete acts of war or terrorism as 'most significant' because they are, sadly, so frequent.

(At the risk of sounding callous) acts of war don't get truly historically significant until you do something new in terms of sheer numbers, or weaponry, or both. (the battle of the Somme, Dresden, the atom bombs.)

I don't mean to take anything away from the tragedy of 9-11. But in terms of most significant events in American History, I personally think it's tough to beat putting a man on the moon.

Pearl harbor

WWII

1906 (03?) San Fransisco Earthquake

1900 Galveston storm

The McCarthyism era

The End of WW2

The Civil Rights movement

The Kennedy assassination(s)

The 60's-70's anti war movement

Those are some of what I would consider "significant", a few of them MORE significant, but not by much.

I think that we, as a nation, have a notoriously short memory when it comes to historical events.

An increasing number of people think we did NOT go to moon, we knew about Pearl Harbor before it happened, AND the 9/11 "truther" idiots that believe that it was all staged.

IN THE LAST 50 YEARS! sheesh :rolleyes:

crunchtastic gets internet points for the man on the moon (despite ease of forgery even then). However 9/11 represents the maturation of the new world order, the great equalizer of modern technology (& lockstep with the Holocaust).

Poor Mr. Yamasaki.. 1st Pruitt-Igoe is claimed as THE linchpin failure of modernism.

and then 9/11 (although I'm still deciphering it's architectural impacts in terms of the Spectacule)

IN THE LAST 50 YEARS! sheesh :rolleyes:

crunchtastic gets internet points for the man on the moon (despite ease of forgery even then). However 9/11 represents a new world order, the great equalizer of modern technology.

3000 deaths, while tragic, would not be a significant hit even in ancient times. It was only significant because we felt invincible.

FAIL

I just think that people who say that September 11th was the most significant historical event in the past 50 years have, first of all, a very Americocentric view of the world considering, for example, the hundreds of thousands of people killed in the tsunami. The Berlin Wall coming down, the fall of Russian communism, a man on the moon, the invention of the cell phone or the artificial heart, all these events and many more seem far more significant than the events of September 11th.

Archived