My Stop In Houston In 2005

texasboy

Excuse the commentary, because I am sure that most of you all already know what is pictured here. I pretty much copied and pasted from another forum which is international and they are not familiar with Houston.

a5at.jpg

3333 Allen Parkway. Condo built originally for apartments, but like so many condo projects in Houston, they recently turned from lease to own. When they were lease, aprtments went from I belive from around $2000/month to over $10,000 fior the penthouses.

aa9mk.jpg

The Renoir Condos. One of the many aprtment buildings built by Randall Davis known for his condos having some architectural theme that has nothing to do with Houston.

aa22nk.jpg

Renoir

aa37lt.jpg

Shotguns. I refused to take pics of what was on the other side of the street. Let me just say River Oaks, yes the prestigous River Oaks neighborhood, is one of the most overly gentrified hoods I have ever stepped a foot in.

aa45pa.jpg

aa52gu.jpg

One of the few true stucco homes left in the city

aa62kp.jpg

OK. Let me tell you folks. While you are looking at the next few pics and are probally thinking you are looking at an ordinary shopping Center. I must say this place is a historical landmark. You are lookng at the 2nd oldest shopping Center in the nation. This development was something new because it came after all 200 streetcars were removed from the Houston core in 1936. The center was built in 1937 and is one of Houston

The new Enron movie made a World Premiere in Houston not too long ago. All former Enron Employees received a free ticket to the event.

aa104lj.jpg

[img=]http://img219.echo.cx/img219/7468/aa114sk.jpg

I'm not joking. This Starbucks is right across the street from the one pictured in the photo above. Oh well, I love the deco design to it.

aa125ft.jpg

Houston Skyline from center

aa138yf.jpg

Randon Shoppe on South Shepherd

aa141uj.jpg

I might as well give you a taste of some of the gentrification happening in Houston.

aa157ii.jpg

Moving right along up Westheimer.

aa163rj.jpg

Shoppes at Highland Park Shopping District

aa178un.jpg

aa184as.jpg

aa194tn.jpg

aa205ny.jpg

Neiman Marcus in Uptown. Currently the largest in the country, but claim will soon be taken by San Francisco.

aa213vf.jpg

More yuppie stuff

952303084pb.jpg

Williams Tower from Street to roof. Built in 1983. 901 feet.

aa227qa.jpg

aa237dc.jpg

aa246gd.jpg

aa259kx.jpg

aa264el.jpg

aa274sw.jpg

Williams Tower Waterwall

aa282fa.jpg

You know what I like about Renoir?

The fact that the northwest corner - has a nice blacony space - but there arent any doors leading to it....

Just thought that was the best design feature of this building. I mean who wouldnt take the best corner of a building and build balconies on it - but then decide not to put the doors so the people paying $300000 for a "loft" can use it.

The fact that the northwest corner - has a nice blacony space - but there arent any doors leading to it....

Just thought that was the best design feature of this building.  I mean who wouldnt take the best corner of a building and build balconies on it - but then decide not to put the doors so the people paying $300000 for a "loft" can use it.

Are you sure about that? Are you talking about the NW corner "turret" balconies? I used to live in the Renoir, and unless I am getting my directions mixed up, I seem to remember actually going out on one of those balconies. Then again it was several years ago...

Are you sure about that?  Are you talking about the NW corner "turret" balconies?  I used to live in the Renoir, and unless I am getting my directions mixed up, I seem to remember actually going out on one of those balconies.  Then again it was several years ago...

the building is not that old.

Boy guess Im running up the wrong tree today :mellow:

I never lived there and will never aspire to, but driving past there yesterday - I looked, and didnt see any doors. Also look at the photo of Renoir - the one with the "balcony" pic - its hard to tell but looks to me that it doesnt have any access to those balconies.

Maybe your thinking of another building? Or maybe my eyes are going bad? Or you have your cardinal directions mixed-up

Besides I dont think those rails would pass code - unless there is actually a recessed portion hiden from the street.

There are balconies to be precise at Renoir - as evidenced by photos, and by simply looking. But there still doesnt appear to be any doors for the "Round" "Turret" balcony?

Perhaps someone else has lived there or by chance has been there and looked out of those balconies - they probably face West-North-West as opposed to North-west.

a5at.jpg

Nice. Where exactly is this building?

On the Renoir, isn't there a county mental health facility right across the street(on the north side) or am I thinking of another building? A block south of Allen Parkway.

On the Renoir, isn't there a county mental health facility right across the street(on the north side) or am I thinking of another building? A block south of Allen Parkway.

Yes, there are a couple service centers across Dallas from the Renoir. I think one is for the blind.

Since the Renoir lofts open out onto the balconies, it would be surprising if that were not the case for the more expensive corner units.

Yes, there are a couple service centers across Dallas from the Renoir.  I think one is for the blind.

Since the Renoir lofts open out onto the balconies, it would be surprising if that were not the case for the more expensive corner units.

You are right, there is a facility for the blind on Dallas near Dunlavy. The stop lights had an audible alarm when I lived near there.

• 4 weeks later...

Just thought that was the best design feature of this building. I mean who wouldnt take the best corner of a building and build balconies on it - but then decide not to put the doors so the people paying $300000 for a "loft" can use it.

You can access balconies. I toured a corner unit, but decided not to purchase.

• 2 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to My Stop In Houston In 2005

Archived