Looking for a nice apartment inside the loop

chloe

I'm moving to Houston soon and I was hoping you all might have some suggestions for nice apartments. I'm 28, single, and don't want to live in a complex filled with noisy 22-yr-olds. I'll be working downtown, want to pay around $1200-$1500/month. Non-carpeted living area is a plus. I'd consider anything inside the loop. Anyone have a recommendation? (Thanks!)

Got house just outside loop in desirable Oak Forest. Never carpeted, all hardwood & kit vinyl tiles. 50s ranch style 3bdrm 1+half bath+2det garage. Wonderful private secluded back yard, mature trees. Was no smoking home for 40 yrs [can't say prior to that]. Be anywhere in town in minutes either by freeway or the streets. If interested, contact me thru personal message. Was home for 40 yrs. Gosh I miss the ol' place!! Miss the hardwoods, quick cooling on hot days, level St Augustine grass yard, simple architecture made by craftsmen. The Woodlands does not offer these amenities at affordable prices:) :) . But it was time to move near grandchildren. Will sell rent. With real estate as it is, I'm not counting on sale. Am I being realistic? We survived the 80s oil real estate collapse & will survive another.

We have some friends who live here

http://www.amli.com/...morial-heights/

EDIT: Carpeted and generic, but a good place to get acquainted with the City.

They're happy with it. It seems quiet. We have other friends who have been satisfied with their experiences with AMLI at other locations.

Welcome to Houston! Welcome to HAIF!

(Ya know, we should have some toast for our new posters, particularly those moving here). [inviting trouble, I knowwink.gif ]

Got house just outside loop in desirable Oak Forest. Never carpeted, all hardwood & kit vinyl tiles. 50s ranch style 3bdrm 1+half bath+2det garage. Wonderful private secluded back yard, mature trees. Was no smoking home for 40 yrs [can't say prior to that]. Be anywhere in town in minutes either by freeway or the streets. If interested, contact me thru personal message. Was home for 40 yrs. Gosh I miss the ol' place!! Miss the hardwoods, quick cooling on hot days, level St Augustine grass yard, simple architecture made by craftsmen. The Woodlands does not offer these amenities at affordable prices:) smile.gif . But it was time to move near grandchildren. Will sell rent. With real estate as it is, I'm not counting on sale. Am I being realistic? We survived the 80s oil real estate collapse & will survive another.

Hey Oldhouse Lover, I have a friend looking for a house in the loop, Oak Forest would be perfect for her. Are you dog friendly to a responsible pet owner?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm moving to Houston soon and I was hoping you all might have some suggestions for nice apartments. I'm 28, single, and don't want to live in a complex filled with noisy 22-yr-olds. I'll be working downtown, want to pay around $1200-$1500/month. Non-carpeted living area is a plus. I'd consider anything inside the loop. Anyone have a recommendation? (Thanks!)

Try Clark McDowell & Kic. They manage a lot of individual apartments so they can steer you away from noisy complexes.

I'm not a fan of the large complexes because I don't think you get as much for your money (paying for amenities you probably won't use like clubrooms, movie theaters, etc.). They also tend to have very poor sound deadening, which means you hear everything your neighbors are going (especially when hardwood or concrete floors are what you want).

You might try duplexes as well, particularly in Upper Kirby and Montrose. They tend to be larger (I rented an 1100 sq ft one years ago), and have more period (1930's) details for the same price. You also have a little yard, and more of a house feel. And perfectly in your price range.

Har.com and Craigslist will have plenty of options.

^Yeah, I second the duplex (or fourplex, etc) option. Upstairs if it isn't side by side.

Like others, I am not a huge fan of megacomplexes, but at the same time, I have lived in small/cute ones that were older (they don't make em anymore, do they..) and the sound problems were horrific!

1 BR? You can easily get inside downtown for that price, if you want. http://har.com/mapsearch is the best way to find something, in my opinion. I'm in St. Germain Lofts and loving it.

I lived in AMLI Memorial Heights for ~3 years. They were ok. I moved in when they were about a year old, and within a few months, there was a leak into our laundry room, master bedroom, and master closet which they came and "fixed" several times. When we moved out, there was mold completely covering the back corner of my closet. Awesome.

My best friend lives in the ones right in front of the AMLI... Windsor at Siena. The window in her 2nd floor apartment has leaked pretty much since she moved in. They came and "fixed" it numerous times... and then Ike hit. Windsor had told all residents they were not allowed to board up their windows. She taped plastic bags over her window and put a bucket underneath the main leaky window.

Here's what it looked like after Ike:

bucket.jpg

window.jpg

(note the water stains on the celing and walls... the carpet was wet about 6 feet away from the window)

Her bedroom looked pretty much the same way.

We could only imagine what the 3rd and 4th floors looked like!

They came in and completely remodeled her apartment (took about 2 months)... The work was sporadic, and she'd come home to find that people had been in her apartment because a vase was broken, or there was sheetrock dust covering her bed.

And...........the window still leaks when it rains!

So, just be warned that those apartments around there are apparently pretty leaky!

I did have good luck with Finger Company-owned apartments, but I didn't live in them inside the loop.

Keep an eye on Craigslist for garage apartments in the Heights. There are some nice ones out there - especially if you're willing to go that high on the rent. Usually they have hardwood floors and period details. Very easy to get to downtown for work and play.

It may not be the most scientific method, but my friends have had good luck just driving around and looking for "for rent/for lease" signs in Montrose and the Museum district. The rent is usually cheaper in old homes/old apartments than in the massive apartment complexes.

• 4 weeks later...

I have one unit left in the Holman Luxury Apartments in Midtown. It's a Historic Art Deco Building, that has been renovated head to toe. Click on the link to go to learn more. http://web.me.com/kayvan

I also have one unit available in a high-rise condominium on Main St. All Bills paid $1,195. http://search.har.com/engine/dispSearch.cfm?mlnum=31611141&backButton=Y&Address=2016%20Main%20St%201203

Thanks

Archived