Where the hell is everybody?

Gary

For the last week or so it seems as if HAIF is almost dead. I'm sure alot of it has to do with the sites makeover, but it seems like a ghosttown.

Wayne? Anybody?

I'm here Gar Bear! :P

It seems the same to me.

For the last week or so it seems as if HAIF is almost dead. I'm sure alot of it has to do with the sites makeover, but it seems like a ghosttown.

Wayne? Anybody?

This came up in another thread. Things have been a little slower on HAIF lately for several reasons:

• Summer vacation season
  • July 4th holiday
  • Kids out of school (many of HAIF's visitors are students, so there's usually a summer lull)
  • Domain name switch

The biggest factor, however, is the fact that Google dropped us from its search results for a few weeks. That has been partially remedied as of Monday morning, but more progress has to be made. As of right now, Google has re-indexed 4,499 of 19,585 HAI/HAIF pages I submitted.

It's just a matter of time until things straighten themselves out. I've started advertising HAIF of Google again to bring in some new blood. We'll see if that helps.

People are concentrating on threads like Sotamayor, Jackson Lee, and the true definition of a d-b on the Wash Av thread.

People are on vacation because the kids go back to school in a few weeks.

People just got back from vacation and are trying to recover. (It's hard to come back!).

People are working late to compensate for their laid off coworkers.

People have nothing to discuss, because nothing big and new is going up in this economy.

People have nothing to discuss because nothing is getting torn down in the Heights in this economy.

People are on Swamplot and HAR, because there's a RDA membership on the line...Dude!

People are at the latest house party being hosted for Anisse Parker (She tours more homes than a realtor!smile.gif )

The weather barely changes these days.

The world of architecture and development in has slowed down a lot, so that is most likely a contributing factor to the slowdown. Furthermore, I am not sure if Google has caught up to the new URL yet, in terms of searches.

I think it's because we all pretty much know where each is coming from, on pretty much any issue now.

As much as we are complete opposites, I miss TexasVines. That was entertainment.

EDIT: And for me, it's Tequila time. I wonder how many people drink and post on here... simultaneously...

Wayne? Anybody?

For the last week, I've been frenetically running all over town, trying to oversee the operations and accounting for multiple construction projects (which I own, so am not getting paid for), including elements of design like tile work, flooring, countertops, etc., maxing out my credit cards, and crossing my fingers that I can close on the condo before the end of summer.

Also, I need a freon recharge, so the full extent of my AC's cooling capability is 83 degrees. And my bathroom is all torn up, so I haven't had a bathtub, shower, or toilet available to me for four days now.

I have also simultaneously been packing up and am about ready to move everything to some other place of residence, which I can't afford unless it's the kind of place where I'm taking my own life into my hands each time I make the trek from the front door to the car. ...Think of the craphole apartments on Fondren. And I can't really move from one construction site to the other right now. (Anybody got a room--or underutilized garage--for immediate rent!?)

I'm maxing out at about four hours of sleep each night, so I browse HAIF a couple times a day, but am being stingy with new posts. And don't expect that replies will come very quickly.

Smart-ass comments like that not followed by an invitation for me to crash on your sofa for a week or so aren't very helpful.

LOL... I hope were kidding with each other. But seriously, you can stay in my upstairs studio, and there's a shower to. My wife is one helluva cook as well. The only thing I ask is that you give me 30 minutes a day of financial advice.

LOL... I hope were kidding with each other. But seriously, you can stay in my upstairs studio, and there's a shower to. My wife is one helluva cook as well. The only thing I ask is that you give me 30 minutes a day of financial advice.

Of course we were kidding. I do stink pretty bad, though.

In all seriousness...I'll dutifully abide by the Hobo Code, and when you feel that I've been tapped out, I'll kindly move along.

Check with your wife first, then PM me. I really don't want anybody to feel like their lives are being intruded into.

Sing for his supper, eh?

Be sure to document the stay.

"TheNich and Gary show."

• 1 month later...

Im pretty sure HAIF is back to normal now right?

I wouldn't say that, exactly. It still has a long way to go to return to the levels it was at one year ago, but things certainly have improved since June.

It looks like we're getting a lot more new users who aren't afraid to post right away. That's good.

It looks like a number of the old regular crowd have moved on. This is bad in the sense that some were very active posters. This is good in the sense that a few were just angry old men trying to stir up arguments to give themselves something to do.

Also, I don't know if it's the new verification system in the updated software or what, but the number of spam accounts registering on HAIF is down dramatically. We used to get 1-2 a day. After the HAIF-HD upgrade, that came down to 1-2 a week. I just vetted all the most recent registrations, and we haven't had a spammer in two weeks. Good to see.

I'm going to have a new batch of HAIF Cards printed up. If you don't know what those are, click here.

We had pretty good participation the last time -- about 30 HAIFers spread over 5,000 cards around Houston. If anyone wants a pack to distribute to their friends, family, co-workers, and neighbors just PM me your mailing address. They're free and I appreciate everyone spreading the word about HAIF.

I wouldn't say that, exactly. It still has a long way to go to return to the levels it was at one year ago, but things certainly have improved since June.

It looks like we're getting a lot more new users who aren't afraid to post right away. That's good.

It looks like a number of the old regular crowd have moved on. This is bad in the sense that some were very active posters. This is good in the sense that a few were just angry old men trying to stir up arguments to give themselves something to do.

Also, I don't know if it's the new verification system in the updated software or what, but the number of spam accounts registering on HAIF is down dramatically. We used to get 1-2 a day. After the HAIF-HD upgrade, that came down to 1-2 a week. I just vetted all the most recent registrations, and we haven't had a spammer in two weeks. Good to see.

I'm going to have a new batch of HAIF Cards printed up. If you don't know what those are, click here.

We had pretty good participation the last time -- about 30 HAIFers spread over 5,000 cards around Houston. If anyone wants a pack to distribute to their friends, family, co-workers, and neighbors just PM me your mailing address. They're free and I appreciate everyone spreading the word about HAIF.

Oh, well things are improving. Good to hear. smile.gif

• 3 weeks later...

Oh, well things are improving. Good to hear. smile.gif

I have noticed a change in search engines finding this site. I often use google or yahoo to find and share this site with other co workers or aquaintenaces, but recently its either not been showing up or I get redirected after clicking on the top link. Has something changed to cause this recent problem? Has anyone else noticed similar results?

I have noticed a change in search engines finding this site. I often use google or yahoo to find and share this site with other co workers or aquaintenaces, but recently its either not been showing up or I get redirected after clicking on the top link. Has something changed to cause this recent problem? Has anyone else noticed similar results?

About half the time I get redirected from google reader to another site, I think for unclaimed web addresses.

I have to be honest, and I appreciate this website and all the administrators, moderators, and contributers...but....

It has been HARD to come back to after the switch. I really can't stand the way it looks now and the format change. I hope this does not come across rude. I may be just lazy but I'm sure with time I would get used to it.

Just my 2 cents.

When we switched from .info to .com a lot of search engine results got dropped. It's taking a while for the search engines to re-learn HAFI and its connections to other sites on the net.

About half the time I get redirected from google reader to another site, I think for unclaimed web addresses.

I've gotten that on occasion -- but only from Google, never from inside HAIF or from any other web site. There's something about Google that's shooting clicks to weird places. I think it might have something to do with the previous owner of the domain. For me, usually all I have to do is go back and re-click the link and everything is fine. I really don't understand what the problem is, and not surprisingly, there is no method of contacting Google about this.

I have to be honest, and I appreciate this website and all the administrators, moderators, and contributers...but....

It has been HARD to come back to after the switch. I really can't stand the way it looks now and the format change. I hope this does not come across rude. I may be just lazy but I'm sure with time I would get used to it.

Just my 2 cents.

This goes the same for me. And for some reason the new HAIF is much slower than the old one for me :(

Just my 2 cents.

I was a little thrown off by the new interface too at first, but I'm fine with it now. My only complaint would be the overly-large 3" banner at the top, but I guess that's just a personal preference.

This goes the same for me. And for some reason the new HAIF is much slower than the old one for me :(

My experience is just the opposite. Maybe it depends on the browser, CPU, memory usage, or some combination thereof...

Archived