Houston, past, present and future

jfre81

IMG]http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g1/jfre81/bluesky025.jpg

Foreward - An overview of the topic at hand.

Welcome to Houston. We shall explore surface parking lots, freeways, abandoned structures and even some things our great city isn't even known for nationally.

Photos shot May 18-19, 2009 and are in no chronological order whatsoever

Chapter I - Walking and public transportation

bluesky2003.jpg

The further out from the city center, the more of a challenge getting around on foot can be.

bluesky2004.jpg

The freeways are king.

bluesky2005.jpg

Roads are wide.

The rules are the same though...

bluesky2008.jpg

Walk.

bluesky2007.jpg

Don't walk.

bluesky2009.jpg

You can figure it out.

bluesky2015.jpg

bluesky2016.jpg

Watch your step...

bluesky2018.jpg

And stay aware of what might come around the way.

bluesky2023.jpg

And if you get tired of walking, you can always be like the other 95 percent of the city that drives a car most/all of the time, or you can use METRO.

Now, Houston is not known for its public transit infrastructure, but look at this...

bluesky2025.jpg

I thought I was inside a small jet for a little while, what with the space for baggage up top.

bluesky2030.jpg

bluesky2038.jpg

Most of the buses aren't like this.

Too bad there were only four people on board this gigantic thing, which was rather slow to turn I might add. And that's four, counting myself and the driver.

bluesky2032.jpg

The biggest challenge of public transportation in Houston is connecting all the places people live...

bluesky2028.jpg

shop...

bluesky2040.jpg

Watch a game...

bluesky2046.jpg

Get some party favors...

bluesky2048.jpg

bluesky2065.jpg

Oh, and there's work too.

You could say the whole thing's a work in progress.

bluesky2086.jpg

But people make the most of what they have.

bluesky2087.jpg

Chapter II - Weather (and nice weather too!)

bluesky009.jpg

bluesky012.jpg

bluesky015.jpg

This was a good stretch of days to get out. We get those in summer even sometimes, which of course runs from May until at least September.

bluesky039.jpg

bluesky043.jpg

bluesky051.jpg

We've even gotten around to adding new things to do on days like this.

bluesky053.jpg

bluesky054.jpg

bluesky055.jpg

bluesky057.jpg

The sun is bright...

bluesky056.jpg

bluesky059.jpg

The skies are blue...

bluesky061.jpg

And if anyone ever tells you we don't have four seasons....

bluesky048.jpg

...reply with "YES WE DO!"

Chapter III - History, and how Houston hides from us so well

bluesky028.jpg

Houston is noted for its modern architecture, which to many equates to large, boxy, oversimplified designs of buildings.

While they seldom look inspiring during the day, the effects of light and reflections on large glass structures can be interesting. I'm not exactly demonstrating this well in still photographs but if you stand up here like I am you will see the reflections of traffic on the Pierce Elevated (I-45) and if you see it while you are moving (e.g. in a bus or car) it turns into a sort of kaleidoscopic effect. They also look quite interesting at night, when they are lit up.

What you don't see in most views of the skyline is the older parts of downtown these large structures. We shall explore...

bluesky020.jpg

bluesky2136.jpg

bluesky2137.jpg

bluesky016.jpg

The Gulf/JP Morgan Chase Building. Many still refer to it by the Gulf name, perhaps so as not to confuse it with the Chase Tower where I took the aerial shots....

bluesky021.jpg

...this, namely.

The Gulf Building was built in 1929, on the eve of the Great Depression. Maybe that's part of why no more like it were built in Houston.

bluesky018.jpg

bluesky2142.jpg

bluesky2148.jpg

More old buildings, many with a sense of detail not seen in many newer buildings.

bluesky2263.jpg

Some show signs of wear.

bluesky2204.jpg

bluesky2182.jpg

bluesky2186.jpg

bluesky2187.jpg

bluesky2189-2.jpg

bluesky2190.jpg

And some structures, some less historically notable than others, show signs of neglect, inside and out. They're waiting to be restored. Or torn down, if you consider this city's track record. These are probably still sitting around because there's asbestos to be removed, and traditionally it's been more practical to build somewhere else than reclaim some properties. Now that things are built up and filling in now, maybe it's only a matter of time.

bluesky2194.jpg

Sometimes glimpses into the past can be found.

bluesky2195.jpg

And sometimes you don't even have to look at a post to see them.

bluesky2196.jpg

bluesky2147.jpg

bluesky2148.jpg

bluesky2175.jpg

bluesky2169.jpg

bluesky2171.jpg

bluesky2164.jpg

bluesky2166.jpg

bluesky2180.jpg

bluesky2178.jpg

Chapter IV - Progress

The city has gone quickly, and many buildings of the past are gone.

bluesky2111.jpg

Sometimes what occupied former historic sites are buildings that could be called historic themselves. Time is funny like that.

bluesky2160.jpg

Did you know Houston was briefly the capital of Texas? Explains those street names like "Capitol" and "Congress."

But Congress is the opposite of progress as we know, and the latter is the current subject.

bluesky2144.jpg

Many new buildings were built, including over part of the old Fourth Ward. This is the place many people think of when they think of downtown Houston - all work, no play and dead at night. Not everything's like that though.

bluesky2273.jpg

Maybe the freeways built through here decades ago provided a wall of sorts around this new central business district?

Things are changing on the other side too.

bluesky2274.jpg

bluesky2278.jpg

Lots like this...

bluesky2279.jpg

...may get turned to this.

bluesky2282.jpg

bluesky2280.jpg

bluesky2283.jpg

bluesky2285.jpg

bluesky2281.jpg

bluesky2286.jpg

And of course there's maintenance of the infrastructure for it all. May cause delays, so one might consider an alternate route.

bluesky2288.jpg

bluesky2287.jpg

There are plenty.

bluesky029.jpg

Back to architecture...if all the modern skyscrapers, the Bank of America Center is the most distinctive and is a sort of signature for the city today.

bluesky2177.jpg

bluesky2172.jpg

bluesky2268.jpg

It's obscured from the south by its larger neighbors.

bluesky2259.jpg

bluesky2260.jpg

And if you haven't seen enough, there's more coming.

bluesky2221-2.jpg

In the interim, it's a bit of a drag, because construction sites don't always good street scenes make. But we're thinking long-term here.

bluesky2235.jpg

We do have Houston Pavilions.

bluesky2234.jpg

bluesky2242.jpg

bluesky2253.jpg

bluesky2251.jpg

More people will probably come around when everyone else does, mainly, people to occupy all this space.

Chapter V - Our well-being

bluesky2064.jpg

Are you sick? Are you injured? Are you in need of loudmouth personal injury lawyers who advertise during soap operas and Judge Judy in the daytime? Well, Houston is the place to be, because not only do we have ambulance chasers we have the best facilities for those ambulances to unload - the world-reknowned Texas Medical Center.

bluesky2071.jpg

bluesky2080.jpg

bluesky2148.jpg

bluesky2083.jpg

lolbrutalist

bluesky2073.jpg

And the whole place is still growing.

bluesky2271.jpg

bluesky2270.jpg

Yet, some hospitals aren't even in the Medical Center, Ah, Houston and it's decentralized-ness.

Epilogue - Going home

bluesky2111.jpg

bluesky2291.jpg

bluesky2293.jpg

In most cases you're just going to go back the same way you got there.

dtheights478.jpg

That's all. Good night.

Bravo!!!! What a cool set of photos and story to go along with it. I really enjoyed that. I've lived in Houston all of my life, and you summed it up pretty well there. Also, the pictures you took are very well exposed, crisp, and nice to look through. Thanks for sharing!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Bravo!!!! What a cool set of photos and story to go along with it. I really enjoyed that. I've lived in Houston all of my life, and you summed it up pretty well there. Also, the pictures you took are very well exposed, crisp, and nice to look through. Thanks for sharing!

I had no idea that you folks had gone " Light Rail and so many new buildings " I lived there from 1975- 1980. I owned a Van accessory manufacturing company up on North Freeway. Ed Shaver / Scrubba

Archived