Interior Decorating section

editor

This new section is the result of your input.

Last month I sent out e-mails to the 6,000 registered HAIF users asking for their input on improving HAIF. One suggestion that kept coming back was to create a space where people can talk about interior decorating. So, here it is.

I've also created a place to talk about exterior decorating here.

So, share your tips, ask your questions, and help out your fellow HAIFers.

• 1 month later...
This new section is the result of your input.

Last month I sent out e-mails to the 6,000 registered HAIF users asking for their input on improving HAIF. One suggestion that kept coming back was to create a space where people can talk about interior decorating. So, here it is.

I've also created a place to talk about exterior decorating here.

So, share your tips, ask your questions, and help out your fellow HAIFers.

I am moving to Richmond, into and new old (8yrs)house. I am looking for recomendations of decorating firms, interior design firms, or just excellent decorating stores that have talented people that will help me make the house a home.

• 4 years later...

I guess I'll be among the first to start a discussion:

Everything you hear about decorating is all about "Neutrals"  Most of the discussion includes the fact that neutrals are better when it comes time to sell your house.

Is that the way it works?

I guess I'll be among the first to start a discussion:

Everything you hear about decorating is all about "Neutrals"  Most of the discussion includes the fact that neutrals are better when it comes time to sell your house.

Is that the way it works?

It's something I heard a lot in Houston, but doesn't really apply outside of Texas.  I think someone in Sugar Land (kingdom of the beige McMansion) came up with the idea and it turned into something of a regional urban legend.

See also: The way so many people in Houston don't hang anything on their walls.

In other parts of the country, the advice from the realtors is that the house should look livable and homey.  Staging companies will often even paint the walls to match their fake furniture, but never beige.  You want the house to look warm and welcoming, not the inside of a generic shoebox that you can't distinguish from the other six houses you saw today.  If your house isn't memorable, it's forgettable.

Disagree with the editor. There's nothing regional or Texasy about going neutral and depersonalizing your house when it comes time to sell. It's pretty much the exact advice I received in Boston before I put my townhouse on the market. I also hear that tag line nightly on HGTV.

• 4 years later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...