Metro approves $1.46 Billion for 20 miles of light rail

editor

• 2 weeks later...

the university line is a different funding mechanism from the north and se lines. i don't believe the fed scrutiny has occurred yet.

I'm not sure if these lines actually broke ground yet (other than utility work) but if it has, does anyone have any pictures? I've been stuck working in Ft. Worth for that last couple weeks...

• 3 weeks later...

from the chron

City moves to encourage 'pedestrian realms'

Walker-friendly areas would be near rail stops

The City Council today unanimously approved changes to Houston's development code intended to promote walkable development around train stations as Metro builds out its light rail system.

The new rules will require wider sidewalks — 5 feet wide rather than the current standard of 4 feet — with new development in most of the city. They also will offer incentives for developers in six light rail corridors to include a 15-foot “pedestrian realm” with broad, unobstructed sidewalks and other features intended to create appealing, walkable environments.

Developers who agree to create the pedestrian zone will automatically be exempt from rules requiring buildings to be set back a specified distance from the street, giving them more space to build offices, homes or shops.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/6578467.html#none

I'm not sure if these lines actually broke ground yet (other than utility work) but if it has, does anyone have any pictures? I've been stuck working in Ft. Worth for that last couple weeks...

I don't have any pictures, but I've seen it.

Imagine a huge mess.

multiply x 10.

:P

from the chron

City moves to encourage 'pedestrian realms'

Walker-friendly areas would be near rail stops

http://www.chron.com...78467.html#none

This is really awesome. like b white said, it's going to take time to see the effect...

I don't have any pictures, but I've seen it.

Imagine a huge mess.

multiply x 10.

tongue.gif

can you tell me the interesection where they have broke ground... i'm curious to check it out

can you tell me the interesection where they have broke ground... i'm curious to check it out

It was a month or two ago that I saw it, but as I recall it was on Harrisburg near Milby, single lanes of traffic, metal covers on holes cut in the street. Enough to make me not want to go back for a while, but I may cruise over that way to see if things are still sucky, and maybe snap some cell phone shots.

Metro light rail tactic raises funding concerns

Metro has not obtained performance or payment bonds to cover all the planned construction of four new light rail lines, and some officials say that could put taxpayer dollars at risk.

Metro President Frank Wilson said the transit agency has not made a final decision, but tentatively plans to use a different form of risk management, called parent guarantees, to make sure the four major companies fulfill their obligations and pay their subcontractors on the $1.46 billion contract.

The four companies are Parsons Transportation Group, Granite Construction Co., Kiewit Texas Construction L.P. and Stacy and Witbeck Inc. They have formed a joint venture known as “Houston Rapid Transit.”

Wilson's announcement at a July board meeting aroused the concern of the national surety industry, which provides the bonds for construction projects by public agencies. Some local officials also questioned the decision.

Texas statute requires public agencies to obtain performance bonds on construction contracts larger than $100,000 and payment bonds on contracts larger than $25,000. Metro did use performance bonds during the construction of the Main Street rail line.

“By Metro not putting these bonds in place the taxpayer is potentially liable,” said Peter Brown, a Houston City Council member and mayoral candidate. “We do these for every major project at the city of Houston. Metro has been planning the light rail project for a long time, and if they needed to find protection for the taxpayers through another means they should have taken that up with the Legislature this past session.”

full article

It was a month or two ago that I saw it, but as I recall it was on Harrisburg near Milby, single lanes of traffic, metal covers on holes cut in the street. Enough to make me not want to go back for a while, but I may cruise over that way to see if things are still sucky, and maybe snap some cell phone shots.

Went on the Critical Mass bike ride on Friday, we rode down Harrisburg, all lanes are open, but the road is patched to hell and back at least as far as Eastwood Park.

• 4 months later...