Home At 10920 Willowisp Dr.

Willowisp

Hi all,

I will post more info about the William R. Jenkins home tour here in the near future, but I just wanted to start the thread now to tell you all to make sure you save the date. If you've been missing my presence on the boards lately, this is why. I've been pretty consumed with this tour and book.

Here are the basics:

On April 25th, during the Lawndale Modern Market, Houston Mod will be renting a bus and driving to many of William R. Jenkins early houses. Some of these houses will be open for the first time. Some will be open for the first time in years. Some will be exterior tours and some will be interior. The tour will last about 3 hours. Refreshments will be served at the final home on the tour (10920 Willowisp).

A full color publication discussing Jenkins and the houses (with new photographs by Benjamin Hill) will be available for $15.

Tour:

Member price = $20

Non-Member price = $30

Join Houston Mod at the individual rate, get the book and take the tour = $60

Payments will be accepted through paypal or by cash or credit at our functions leading up to the date. Space will be limited so make sure you reserve your spots by emailing info@houstonmod.org.

I'm hoping for full participation from each and every one of you!

Jason

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Here's a quick update on the April 25 tour.

We will be visiting the interiors of the following houses:

Weintraub

Jenkins 2

Barnes

Godine

AND the exteriors of these:

Ginzbarg ("peek in")

Brier ("peek in")

Guarino

Huvard

Parade of Homes House

Jenkins 3

Parc IV & V Apartments (if time permits)

Knight (if time permits)

The tour will be a very packed 3 hours of fun on a bus and at the houses with fellow modern enthusiasts.

RSVP to info@houstonmod.org with your choice of 10am or 2pm - about half the slots are spoken for already. Don't wait to RSVP! RSVP now and pay by check through the mail.

The book will be $15 at the tour, and then $20 after that.

Thanks,

Jason

I will make a check with the other owners on that. But I think the answer is yes, as long as they are "for your personal use only" and the owners privacy is respected. The houses are very photogenic so I can't blame anyone for wanting their own shots, but some of the owners are private people. And these days everyone is a little suspicious of photographers, right, Ben? :D

Jason

Was wondering if cameras would be allowed for interior shots?

Yes, I've got you on the list. I thought I responded to ask what time you wanted on, but maybe that was someone else?

Please send your time reservation to the info@houstonmod.org address.

Thanks,

Jason

If we sent you an email but didn't receive a response, can we go ahead and assume our name is on the list?

I will make a check with the other owners on that. But I think the answer is yes, as long as they are "for your personal use only" and the owners privacy is respected. The houses are very photogenic so I can't blame anyone for wanting their own shots, but some of the owners are private people. And these days everyone is a little suspicious of photographers, right, Ben? :D

Jason

Right, especially if the work the RDA Tours. What a bunch of jerks. Not everyone of course, only the lady that was working the driveway table on Saturday afternoon at the Carlos Jiminez house.

Hmmm. I'd kinda be surprised if interior photos are freely allowed. I've been on a LOT of home tours and they always say no interior photos. It's only the RDA ones where they say no exterior photos, too! :) Once in a while some docent or owner will say to go ahead and take pictures, but that's been the exception rather than the rule. Once I asked and got permission to take a picture of a family's spectacular calico cat.

On the other hand, Ben, I would think that your professional status and your position within Houston Mod would open a lot of doors, so to speak, on a tour like this.

No exterior photos? Even from the street? That sounds restrictive! (in a legal way!)

Yah. First time I ever heard that was on the RDA Southampton tour, and then last year's Staub tour. I've always just ignored it and taken pictures from the street or from next door, and no one's ever said anything to me but apparently BenH ran afoul of a particularly pushy docent at the Jimenez house. ^_^

No exterior photos? Even from the street? That sounds restrictive! (in a legal way!)

There was a police officer standing less than five feet from me who watched the whole thing and didn't say a word.

Ah, yes... RDA, I didn't say that. <_< We'll have to talk to the owners about it as well as discuss it at the Board Meeting. Ben has already been able to take some fantastic photos in these houses. Many of them are going to be in the book. I don't think you're going to get much better shots for yourselves than Amanda (phDesign), Ben, and I put in the book, so make sure to buy the book.

We went to SXSW music festival this year and they had various policies on cameras in the venues. I was trying to take a picture of every band we saw just so I could remember them later (saw over 50 bands in 4 days!) We went to see The New York Dolls, and during the opening bands a bouncer told me to put the camera away "no photos allowed tonight" so I put it away. You should have seen all the cameras and iphones come out when The New York Dolls took the stage. There were less people not taking pictures than there were taking them. It was rock and roll history and everyone wanted to preserve it for themselves. Of course I got a few shots myself.

I don't know the ins and outs and issues of it so at this point I better just say I will defer to our Board's collective wishes and let you know for sure one way or another before the tour. I hope it's not a deal breaker if you're not able to take photos inside.

Jason

Did Jason mention to buy the book?

We are not going to be able to make the tour :( The 25th is just a bad day for us. We do plan on going to the Modern Market, though - will we be able to buy the book there? Or just pick it up later from Houston Mod?

It will be there all weekend, but I think it will be $20 (regular price) except on the tour ($15).

Sorry you won't be able to make it.

Jason

We are not going to be able to make the tour :( The 25th is just a bad day for us. We do plan on going to the Modern Market, though - will we be able to buy the book there? Or just pick it up later from Houston Mod?

• 3 weeks later...
Hi all,

I will post more info about the William R. Jenkins home tour here in the near future, but I just wanted to start the thread now to tell you all to make sure you save the date. If you've been missing my presence on the boards lately, this is why. I've been pretty consumed with this tour and book.

Here are the basics:

On April 25th, during the Lawndale Modern Market, Houston Mod will be renting a bus and driving to many of William R. Jenkins early houses. Some of these houses will be open for the first time. Some will be open for the first time in years. Some will be exterior tours and some will be interior. The tour will last about 3 hours. Refreshments will be served at the final home on the tour (10920 Willowisp).

A full color publication discussing Jenkins and the houses (with new photographs by Benjamin Hill) will be available for $15.

Tour:

Member price = $20

Non-Member price = $30

Join Houston Mod at the individual rate, get the book and take the tour = $60

Payments will be accepted through paypal or by cash or credit at our functions leading up to the date. Space will be limited so make sure you reserve your spots by emailing info@houstonmod.org.

I'm hoping for full participation from each and every one of you!

Jason

Today.

This weekends 14th annual Lawndale Modern Market and Houston Mod tour and book release have been great! It seems like the best attended ever. It's becoming Houston's version of the Palm Springs Modernism Week. I understand the mod show already has a waiting list for dealer space for next years event.

The Saturday tour of early houses by architect William Jenkins was full with over 100 in attendance. All 50 of the just released books about the early works of William Jenkins were immediately snapped up. (Another shipment will arive in a few days.) Being in the company of so many modsters is truly exciting. People came in from all parts of the Houston region and even from as far as Lake Charles, Louisiana and even Pensacola, Florida! Amazing! There is a lot of interest in modernism out there.

There is yet a full day left for everyone to experience this years show. The Lawndale Art Center is packed with all sorts of wonderful MCM items. Houston Mod has a booth with an exhibit and has it's publications and membership information available. Come see us, 10:00 AM - 5:00 PM Sunday.

I wanted to thank everyone involved in the tour and the show. We were the couple from Lake Charles with our own "MCM project" and it was truly an inspiration to see the great variety of homes and the way they have been maintained and enjoyed through the years.

I especially want to thank the homeowners who were willing to let us into their space for a short period of time and share a part of their lives. And of course that includes your very own "Willowisp". Great job!

Would like to encourage participants in the Jenkins Tour to share their comments with respect to the tour... what you liked, what you would like to see included in another tour, what aspect could be enhanced, etc.

Feedback is a valuable tool... your thoughts and comments are desired.

• The title was changed to Home At 10920 Willowisp Dr.