Shopping District Pics?

97saturn

I am moving to Houston in July....anyone have any pics of the shopping districts.? I am now in Kansas City, Mo. I am looking for something similar to the Country Club Plaza here.

There are numerous shopping areas in Houston. Any specific stores that you are looking for? This will help narrow down the question.

Well here in KC, we have the following.....

www.countryclubplaza.com

www.zonarosa.com

and the most recent projects would be...

www.villagewest.us/

There are many shopping districts around Houston. Here is a brief list:

- Town & Country Village

- Uptown Park

- Highland Village

- University Village

- River Oak Center

- Woodlands Mall, Woodlands Town Center and Market Street.

- Sugarland Mall and Sugarland Town Center plus many chain stores nearby.

- Willowbrook Mall. There are many chain stores in that area.

- Baybrook Mall and the usual chain stores in the area.

- Deerbrook Mall

- Katy Mills Mall (a massive indoor outlet mall)

- Conroe Outlet Center (a large outdoor outlet mall)

- Memorial City Mall (and I am sure you have already heard about the massive new mixed-use development in the area)

- And, of course, the mother of all shopping destinations in Houston: the Galleria area.

In additions to these, there are many other centers similar to Gardens on Westgreen that you saw.

There are several projects to build even more retail centers including at least two lifestyle centers in Pearland, expansion of Sugarland Town Center, Kings Harbor in Kingwood, redevelopment of Town & Country Mall, redevelopment of Fashion Square and Pavillions in Galleria area and so on.

I wish I could list at least one shopping district in midtown or downtown both of them lack one. However, I know there was a plan to build a retail center similar to Denver Pavillions in downtown Houston. Hopefully, someone can give us an update on that.

You may not find a single shopping district in Houston that has the charm and beauty of Country Club Plaza. I've traveled to every major city in the US and haven't seen much that rivaled its architecture, gardens, and fountains. It's one of my favorite shopping destinations anywhere. However, Houston is a shopping Mecca with plenty of major centers offering just about everything imaginable. The closest in format to Country Club Plaza would be Highland Village and the River Oaks Center on West Gray. Both are older centers that are very upscale, and run for several blocks along major streets, with buildings that are fairly close to the streets with small parking areas in front.

Other nice open-air centers that I really like are Uptown Park and Town & Country Village. For enclosed malls, it's hard to beat The Galleria, and Memorial City and several of the others are nice as well. I think you'll find plenty here to like when it comes to shopping, and you shouldn't have any trouble finding what you want.

You may not find a single shopping district in Houston that has the charm and beauty of Country Club Plaza. I've traveled to every major city in the US and haven't seen much that rivaled its architecture, gardens, and fountains. It's one of my favorite shopping destinations anywhere. However, Houston is a shopping Mecca with plenty of major centers offering just about everything imaginable. The closest in format to Country Club Plaza would be Highland Village and the River Oaks Center on West Gray. Both are older centers that are very upscale, and run for several blocks along major streets, with buildings that are fairly close to the streets with small parking areas in front.

Other nice open-air centers that I really like are Uptown Park and Town & Country Village. For enclosed malls, it's hard to beat The Galleria, and Memorial City and several of the others are nice as well. I think you'll find plenty here to like when it comes to shopping, and you shouldn't have any trouble finding what you want.

yeah, I was looking at the pictures of CCP and it does look very nice. However, I believe that Market Street/Town Center in Woodlands or Sugarland Town Center (when it is fully complete) could come quite close. However, since I havn't been to CCP, I cannot say that for sure.

By the way, open-air, upscale retail development aka lifestyle center is a relatively new concept in Houston. As trends are changing in its favor, developers have started incorporating corresponding design elements in new retail centers instead of building same-old faceless strip malls. I am noticing that the newer retail centers are often better-looking than the old ones.

Since things have started to pick up in this area and the competition is rising, I hoping to see some cool designs in the new upscale retail centers being developed.

We will have to wait and see how do the new developments at T&C, Memorial City, Pavillions at Post Oak, Kingwood, Sugarland and Pearland turn out to be.

yeah, I was looking at the pictures of CCP and it does look very nice. However, I believe that Market Street/Town Center in Woodlands or Sugarland Town Center (when it is fully complete) could come quite close. However, since I havn't been to CCP, I cannot say that for sure.

They'll be nice, but trust me, not as nice as CCP in Kansas City. It was developed over 80 years ago, is full of interesting European architecture, fountains, murals, outdoor plazas, sculptures, and lush gardens. The center bills itself as an outdoor art gallery, and it truly is. The sculpture are not generic, mass-produced concrete knock-offs (like what you see in The Woodlands at that awful Portofino center) but true original works of art often created just for this center and donated by many of the city's wealthy benefactors. And unlike most "lifestyle" centers in Houston, there really aren't many parking lots between the buildings and the streets; it's sort of like the older sections of Rice Village (not the Village Arcade) where the only parking in front of businesses is a single row of on-street spaces. CCP runs for about 14-15 square blocks, and is really designed for people to get out and walk around, not to drive up in front of the store they are visiting and then leave and see nothing more than just that one store.

The closest centers here would be Highland Village, River Oaks, and Rice Village. However, none of them are as nice and beautiful as Country Club Plaza. As I said in my earlier post, I've yet to see anything that really comes close to it in another US city.

You know, LTAWACS is kind of right. We're trying to make downtown and Midtown into that type of environment. Also, San Felipe and Post Oak will soon have a development on par with if not nicer than Country Club Plaza (trust me). But, right now, we really have nothing. We have lots of shopping, but none of it is in a nice, casual, beautiful setting. Suburban has been the word too often in Houston. I think we're finally starting to learn better though.

Well, I am looking forward to moving to houston to experience the strip mall and mall shopping. However, the first place I will go when I visit back to KCMO is the Country Club Plaza. If you haven't ever been here to experience look at the following web site I found.

http://imageevent.com/kcgridlock/kansascitymissouriplaza

By the way any other Houston shopping pics?

I'm curious.. Are all you pro-downtown/midtown "retail-development advocates" upset because of:

a. the fact that downtown/midtown should be the retail epicenter of the city, and that all residents from all parts should come to the center to do their shopping - yet this is not the present situation, bor seems to be one of much concern by 99% of the city?

OR

b. the fact that you live there and there is simply no shopping for you.

27, I live in the area and I am fine with my shopping choices. I have River Oaks Shopping Center right down West Gray and a little further down Westhiemer is Highland Village. For all other purchases I have 3 CVS and 4 Walgreens to choose from. I buy my beer at Sunny's. What else could I need.

I lived in KC until I was 11. I don't recall it being that nice. Those pics make me want to go back.

I'm curious, from looking at the pics, does KC have a height restriction requiring new construction?

Washington DC does and when I liked how it made both old and new buildings seem in harmony with one another.

In that regard, KC seems similar.

Well, I am looking forward to moving to houston to experience the strip mall and mall shopping.  However, the first place I will go when I visit back to KCMO is the Country Club Plaza.  If you haven't ever been here to experience look at the following web site I found.

http://imageevent.com/kcgridlock/kansascitymissouriplaza

By the way any other Houston shopping pics?

Hey 97saturn, are the shopping centers that you listed n or urban (in downtown KC)? If they are suburban, then you can ignore all the posts complaining about lack of shopping options in DT Houston which would be nice but is something you wouldnt probably care about.

We have no shopping districts here. Only strip malls all along the freeways, and huge monstrous malls 47 miles from downtown. That's it.

Please ignore this irrelevant post from LTAWACS!

The OP is looking for shopping districts, period. A shopping district is a place that offers shopping options and there are plenty in Houston. The term does not dictate that it HAS to be an open-air urban shopping area right in the middle of a downtown.

The Uptown area definitely qualifies as a shopping district and indeed few places in the country can match the quantity and variety of shops in that area due the presence of Galleria, the nicest and one of the largest indoor shopping mall in the country, as well as other open-air centers such as Highland village and Uptown Park. And, of course, Pavilion, Fashion Square and the strip mall across it would become shopping destinations of their own.

I'm curious.. Are all you pro-downtown/midtown "retail-development advocates" upset because of:

a. the fact that downtown/midtown should be the retail epicenter of the city, and that all residents from all parts should come to the center to do their shopping - yet this is not the present situation, or seems to be one of much concern by 99% of the city?

OR

b. the fact that you live there and there is simply no shopping for you?

If the latter is the case, then do you really have the right to complain about developments in other parts of the city when its your own fault for living somewhere where nothing exists? Some of you downtown/midtowners are starting to remind me of .com shareholders & emu farmers once they realized their equity was worth about as much as a number 4 combo at McDonalds. You[i/] made the investment to move somewhere that isn't established. I don't hear guys like Danax, rps234, or Stotlix complaining about the eastside. Trust me, they probably have less than 10% the chance of getting any type of retail you people are wish for. Yet I never hear them complain - just the downtown/midtowners.

And if for no other reason, you're just mad because you want downtown/midtown to be the center of the universe, well.. don't you just think thats a little self-centered?

I don't live in midtown or downtown, I live on the southeast side between the loop and the belt. But I still would like the midtown/downtown areas to develop into dense mixed-use areas with a large assortment of destinations: retail, restuarants, pubs, and, residential to fuel a vibrant pedestrian existence. It would make the whole city more attractive by just giving it one more interesting place to want to visit. The entire city would benefit.

We have no shopping districts here. Only strip malls all along the freeways, and huge monstrous malls 47 miles from downtown. That's it.

You know sometimes I wonder why I continue on this forum with comments like this.

You have already been corrected easily by "tw2ntyse7en" and I have yet to see your response. I'm sorry but it drives me nuts when people make statements like this, about anything.

kzseattle, the country club plaza is about 11 minute drive straight down broadway from DownTown KC. However during the 2 minutes of the way to the plaza area, you will past another shopping destination which is owned by Hallmark ( Hallmark has it's Headquarters here.) The following is the web site for it.

http://imageevent.com/kcgridlock/kansascit...ouricrowncenter

The following sites may be a shock to anyone that hasn't been to this part of the country to see how urban it is. I traveled alot and the perseption of KCMO is not what is really here. At the current moment the largest development in any city in america is going on in the downtown area here.

Even with all that is here, I am looking forward to the palm trees,warmer climate and beaches in houston area.

Kansas City is even building the best sports arena in the nation downtown next to a entertainment center that is being developed by the same developers of the Bayou Place.

http://www.powerandlightdistrict.com/Website/overview.htm

I forgot to add this one.........Ladies and Gentlemen presenting the Sprint Center.

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/lofivers....php/t6312.html

this is the result of a collabration of the top sports architectural firms that have developed 90% of the arenas built in the USA having their HQ's in KC. The mayor made this happen by telling them not to compete locally but to get together for the best area in the world. What are your thoughts of it Houston?

I am moving to Houston in July....anyone have any pics of the shopping districts.? I am now in Kansas City, Mo. I am looking for something similar to the Country Club Plaza here.

Living in Des Moines and going to KC Plaza Often Id say Highland Village or Rice Village have similar vibes being pedestrian friendly

Actually Velvet, I have been to Houston twice in the last 3 months, however each time I was only able to stay for one day each. Previous to my last two visits, it has been over a decade since I was in Houston. I have seen a large difference in your downtown area. I also visit the Galleria to see the expansion, then traveled to Katy Mills, Reliant Park and headed down main to Sugarland to see the town center there. That was the path of my journey. The first time I was there was christmas eve when it snowed. However, I really like Houston enough to move there and call it home. My next visit before I move should be in May and I am looking for some interesting shopping areas that I could visit, so not to waste a whole day in Houston vast space just searching for them.

• 3 years later...

I started this post about 3 years ago and must say alot has changed in both my former home of Kansas City, Mo and my current home in Houston. I am glad to see more pedestrian oriented destinations in construction in Houston now.

Archived