Sign in to follow this  
memebag

Ike: Best Hurricane Beverages

There's a lot of discussion of what to drink if the power goes out on other threads. I thought I'd start a topic just about that subject.

My vote is for cognac because it shouldn't be refrigerated and it makes even the most primitive setting feel supremely civilized. Hennesy XO, if you have it.

What about the rest of you lushes?

There's a lot of discussion of what to drink if the power goes out on other threads. I thought I'd start a topic just about that subject.

My vote is for cognac because it shouldn't be refrigerated and it makes even the most primitive setting feel supremely civilized. Hennesy XO, if you have it.

What about the rest of you lushes?

My drink of choice is a nice boxed chardonnay from Target. That's how I roll. I'm thinking if I stick a couple of icees in the box it'll stay chilly for a while.

bourbon. I'm typically a wino, but hurricanes call for liquor.

What brands should we look for if the looting starts?

I have bourbon, scotch, and beer...George Thorogood told me it was the right thing to do.

But as soon as the power goes I'll make some margaritas before the ice melts.

If it was anywhere else along the Gulf coast I'd say a classic New Orleans Hurricane. In Florida I'd say rum.

But we're talking about Texas. As far as I'm concerned, that means you drink beer until it gets warm or the skies get dark. Then you switch to whiskey/burbon/rye. Everyone gets their own bottle.

What brands should we look for if the looting starts?

I tried a lot the small batch stuff, and Woodford Reserve is good. I'm into rye lately and Sazerac Rye in particluar.

But I'm happen with good ole Jim Beam.

katrina-beer-loot.jpg

:lol: I know it's in the image name. The white guy is always "rescuing" and the black guy is always "looting". Maybe he's just saving a few beers for later.

:lol: I know it's in the image name. The white guy is always "rescuing" and the black guy is always "looting". Maybe he's just saving a few beers for later.

It's a shame no one knows the real story on that dude. He wasn't looting. He was delivering life saving refreshment to a convent of nuns trapped by the swirling waters.

The best part is the one in his back pocket...no Heine' left behind!!

Okay, this thread is just beyond. . .

Lets just temporarily rename this site www.theIKE.info/.com whatever.

I am tired of Ike already and it aint even here yet!

. . . I need a drink! :rolleyes:

Edited by Pumapayam

From ground zero,or Seabrook, take your pick, it's been beer while taking the mast down, vodka tonic while watching TWC and checking out Jeff Masters on weather underground.

when I was a kid we got plastered on Hurricanes during Alicia

that red Pat O'Briens mix stains just as much after it has come back up as it before you drink it down

man those were good times :lol::DB)

margaritas here...but I ran out of ALL orange liquor (cointrou and grand marnier sp?)and now its just teq. and mix. The mix will be gone tomorrow...so when you see the drunk WT person on TV that could be me..or just someone else from Baytown..hahah

margaritas here...but I ran out of ALL orange liquor (cointrou and grand marnier sp?)and now its just teq. and mix. The mix will be gone tomorrow...

See post #10.

Dude.jpg

You know, it probably goes without saying, but the Dude's drink of choice, the Caucasian, is probably the WORST hurrican drink, due to its reliance on half and half as a mixer. Perhaps a Black Russian (an African? An African Alexiev? Help me out here, macbro.) would be a better choice.

Edited by RedScare

First vodka tonic down the hatch!

#2 in progress. I think after this I'll switch to the bourbon, then if I'm awake scotch to top it off. I'm looking forward to grilling stuff this weekend too. But I was wicked disappointed that the Kroger didn't have any cheddar-wurst. Sausage is not fatty enough on its own, I need cheese in there too.

Vodka number two, away she goes!

We just ate crawfish etouffe. I did not cook the roux down as long as usual, but it was still good. Our freezer is full of crawfish tails and shrimp. No steak for us. :( Things could definitely be worse. My neighbor across the street is weeding her flower bed. Think I'll bring her a beer and go visit a while.

Where's Red? Hope he isn't out of Capn Morgans yet. He'll be looting the Heights for rum. Yarrrr!

Vodka number two, away she goes!

We just ate crawfish etouffe. I did not cook the roux down as long as usual, but it was still good. Our freezer is full of crawfish tails and shrimp. No steak for us. :( Things could definitely be worse. My neighbor across the street is weeding her flower bed. Think I'll bring her a beer and go visit a while.

Where's Red? Hope he isn't out of Capn Morgans yet. He'll be looting the Heights for rum. Yarrrr!

Nope, got a full glass right now! I was out entertaining the neighbors. I'm actually surprised at how many hurricane virgins there are around here. I would wager that half the Houston population or more has never been through a direct hit.

On a different beverage note, addicts like me should remember to brew some coffee now and put it on ice for the morning, in case there's no power then. Personally, I don't want to face tomorrow without a nice hit of coffee.

It was unplanned, but after talking to my neighbors, I realize that EVERYONE on my block has stocked up on Bud Light. Various sodas, Kool-Aid, etc., but no one forgot to buy stocks of water and Bud Light

On a different beverage note, addicts like me should remember to brew some coffee now and put it on ice for the morning, in case there's no power then. Personally, I don't want to face tomorrow without a nice hit of coffee.

Thank you for reminding me!!

I would wager that half the Houston population or more has never been through a direct hit.

i'd have to agree. i just hope everyone got plenty of cash and other reserves. seems like the east side bayous/streams are rising. i heard that brays bayou at mason park is way higher than normal.

Thanks for the idea...the lone star only lasts so long

For coffee, I've gotten hooked on N.O. Brew chicory coffee. It's a "cold dripped" coffee that comes in a bottle, to which you add milk and sugar. I was skeptical at first, but it's tasty and easy.

Going to make a sandwich and think about bourbon after.

Made the coffee--thanks Sarahiki!

You're welcome! My few moments of joy post-Ike came from drinking iced coffee the next two mornings. Then it was like the scene from airplane, quoted below, more or less:

Stewardess: We just want to give you some information about our flight. We're a tad off-course.

Passenger: How much is a tad?

Stewardess: About two hundred million miles. Those bumps you feel are asteroids pummelling the ship. We are headed for the sun, and unable to correct course.

[passengers smile, relaxed and unworried]

Passenger: Are you telling us everything?

Stewardess: Oh, we're also out of coffee.

[all hell breaks loose]

Anyway, may I threadjack and ask if anyone has any clever ideas for cooking with canned/dry good? I am going to the store tomorrow to pick up canned soup, spaghetti-o's, pasta, and bread, but if my family has to eat that for more a couple days we'll all be pretty unhappy. Any good packaged dinners, or other ideas? Our stove and water work, but no fridge, so no fresh food.

Thansk for any ideas!

You're welcome! My few moments of joy post-Ike came from drinking iced coffee the next two mornings. Then it was like the scene from airplane, quoted below, more or less:

Stewardess: We just want to give you some information about our flight. We're a tad off-course.

Passenger: How much is a tad?

Stewardess: About two hundred million miles. Those bumps you feel are asteroids pummelling the ship. We are headed for the sun, and unable to correct course.

[passengers smile, relaxed and unworried]

Passenger: Are you telling us everything?

Stewardess: Oh, we're also out of coffee.

[all hell breaks loose]

Anyway, may I threadjack and ask if anyone has any clever ideas for cooking with canned/dry good? I am going to the store tomorrow to pick up canned soup, spaghetti-o's, pasta, and bread, but if my family has to eat that for more a couple days we'll all be pretty unhappy. Any good packaged dinners, or other ideas? Our stove and water work, but no fridge, so no fresh food.

Thansk for any ideas!

BBQ - Bust out the grill.

Thansk for any ideas!

Go primitive camping for a couple days and totally reverse your state of mind. Make a family vacation of it. Then come back to restored power, a clean house, and a hot shower, and RELAX!

As for gourmet cooking from MREs, dry goods, canned items, etc., think about which spices go with which flavors, how you can thicken sauces, be creative, and experiment. Perhaps you'll come up with something really tasty that you can attribute to your hurricane survival experience.

Dark Rum + Coffee ---> :)

Hmm, two dark drinks to match your personality :lol: .

Kidding aside, I really like your advise for looking at the food thing as an adventure rather than and inconvenience. Yesterday, as the fridge/freezer was thawing, I consolidated many things to the deep freeze. I had frozen jugs of water before Edouard and that really helped sustain the temp. I started grilling things such as fish even though I wasn't going to eat it. The cat's enjoying very much though. It's better to cook the stuff rather than dealing with smelly garbage that no one knows when will be picked up. I also cooked sausage, boudain, Texas toast! and frozen meatballs on the grill.