ESPN: Too Much Power?

Karick42

Lately, ESPN has really gotten on my last nerves. Why is it that they continue to try and show that they want to be more of a TMZ/Entertainment Tonight tabloid-soap opera than what their purpose initially was...to be the sports reporting mecca that it used to be in my eyes.

A couple of examples:

The whole Brett Favre saga. Why did they have to report on EVERYTHING that this man did? It was utterly ridiculous to sit and watch. I understand that if I don't like what's on, I don't have to watch it but like I said, I always tune in to ESPN because I love sports.

Reporting A-Rod's Divorce. Was I the only one who thought that this was disgusting journalism? I really don't want to hear about what A-Rod is doing in his personal life, especially when it has nothing to do with baseball, which Madonna has absolutely nothing to do with. If it effected his performance drastically on the field, that would be one thing but come on ESPN.

I understand that this can easily be my personal perception but I would like to hear the thoughts of others on this. I know there are other examples but I can't think of them all right now.

All I can think is that ESPN is feeling the pressure since it's no longer the only game in town (so to speak) and has chosen to go this route.

Between the various Fox/CBS Sports Nets, Comcast Sports Nets, NESN, NWSC, MSG/YES, NFL Network, Big10 Network, and pay-per-view out the wazoo ESPN is getting nibbled to death in virtually every market it serves. The one thing that ESPN has that the other s don't is the resources of ABC. So incorporating some ABC reporting into its regular coverage is a way of setting itself apart as the national brand and it doesn't cost anything.

I don't watch sports, so all this is just a theory.

ESPN is owned by ABC, and when Roone Arlidge was out of the sports loop there, it went straight down the crapper. Nuff Said. Arlidge revolutionized TV sports and news, there was nobody better. Arlidge ate, slept and drank Sports TV, and he created "Monday Night Football", and "The Wide World of Sports". He also began the "up close and personal" interviews of athletes in which we were told tales of their personal lives. This really humanized them and gave some interest to the behind the scenes of the games. It was his approach to sports TV that influenced people like Ed Sabol, and his son Steve, that now produce those "NFL Films", that gave us all those great shots and drama, that was punctuated with the deep and powerful baritone voices, such as Harry Kalas, and the famous John "The Voice of God" Facenda.

So if you wonder what's happened to ESPN and ABC Sports TV, that's my take on it.

I'm with Mark, there's somebody new in charge and for some reason they feel they have to go "Outside the Lines" so to speak. I only watch shows on ESPN that are 1) an actual game or 2) highlights like Baseball Tonight. I can't stand the journalistic shows because either a group of guys spends an hour arguing about who is better than who or they explore some tabloidal story like a-rod's divorce or everything Brett Favre. Sportscenter used to be the best show on tv back when it was Patrick and Olberman. It was witty as hell, and not full of a bunch of fluff. Now there's too much push to cover crap evenly, which to me is a mistake on their part. I almost can't watch the show now because there will be updates on so many things that no one cares about, and an important baseball game might get an 18 second run. I stick to baseball tonight which still has great substance and lately some very knowledgeable ex-players and coaches. I do watch college gameday, but mostly because I'm up that early and so stoked for college football every Saturday. The content is pretty much junk.

Let's not even talk about the extreme regional bias that so many people on that network have (read: Boston, it goes beyond east coast). It has gotten better but there is WAY more focus on Boston than there should be. I promise you, even with Brady out there will be Brady new and all kinds of Patriots crap all year.

Same things are happening to all the networks. TV Land for example is now owned by Viacom so it's starting to resemble MTV and VH1. The classics are becoming obsolete on that network. They even admitted that they're eventually going to phase them out in favor of newer shows and reality programs. It's abandoning the shows and viewers that made it popular.

That's probably what's happening to ESPN. Cry for a while and then suck it up because it's not going to change. :o

Same things are happening to all the networks. TV Land for example is now owned by Viacom so it's starting to resemble MTV and VH1. The classics are becoming obsolete on that network. They even admitted that they're eventually going to phase them out in favor of newer shows and reality programs. It's abandoning the shows and viewers that made it popular.

That's probably what's happening to ESPN. Cry for a while and then suck it up because it's not going to change. :o

We're not crying, just stating the facts. I think we hear enough of this gossip nonsense on the major networks....do they really need it in the sportsworld? No, there is no place for it and it takes away from the love of the certain sports.

Kim, that's crazy to hear that they are doing that with TV Land. It really defeats the purpose!

I was crying. Wait no, that's not manly - I was bitching and moaning. And whining. Much better...

TV doesn't really affect my happiness, I just get annoyed when enjoyable sports highlights are interrupted with gossip BS. I get that enough when the wife has the remote!!

ESPN only wants the biggest ratings. By definition, that means they only cover NFL, NBA, MLB, and college football and basketball. They cover New York and Boston, and throw the occasional bone to Chicago to shut them up about that whole "2nd City" thing. Heaven forbid you live in a small city with say, 5.5 or 6 million in metro population, or follow a team or sport that is not the NFL top tier.

I noted my annoyance with feel good stories during the Olympics, and some called me a cynic. That cynicism was born and nurtured by the MTVing of ESPN. While I understand that the NFL 24/7 approach of ESPN and NFL Network gets more viewers, it runs people like me away. The good news is, I watch far less TV than in the past. I suppose I should be thanking ESPN for their massive suckage, rather than criticizing them.

Archived