Train Noise In Gleanloch Farms/Memorial Creek Estates

faceh

Couple more links with helpful information for you straight from all of teh players.

Good BNSF Article that explains alot... http://www.bnsf.com/communities/pdf/4_Grad...ssingSafety.pdf

Union Pacifics stance and involvement with Quiet Zones. Also has PR contact info. http://www.uprr.com/newsinfo/horn.shtml

Federal Railroad Administration Final Rule on the Use of Locomotive Horns at Highway-Rail Grade Crossings http://www.fra.dot.gov/us/content/1318

So in short, it looks like you have your work cut out for you if you wanna spearhead a change like creating a new Quiet Zone. Like everything in this world full of beurocracy, things are alot more complicated. I guess you should start by contact your local government representatives and maybe the contact there at UP.

Good Luck!!!

Anyone up for starting a petition?

http://www.petitiononline.com/

i had started to notice after moving in about 3 months ago and it is getting worser but my family is adjusting to it. i can see the trains from my bedroom window across the lake through the nature reserve. i never thought about surveying the night time before moving until now. i wish there was such a thing as double paned butted glass!

No it won't, but some people aren't getting it yet!

I'd really be curious to know how the long-time neighbors feel about it.

Again, when I looked at buying in Candlelight Oaks, I spoke with several neighbors about the train and was even at the house when one of them passed. It was LOUD and unmistakably A TRAIN. That said, I didn't think it was that bad and it was NOT the reason why I ultimately decided not to purchase that home. It was a combination of other factors including age of structure, needed repairs, etc.

I think you learn to adjust to natural and unnatural influences wherever you live. Heck, even people in certain parts of River Oaks, Memorial, etc. have MAJOR thoroughfares running directly in front of their homes. You don't see them petitioning the city to close these arteries.

Again, when I looked at buying in Candlelight Oaks, I spoke with several neighbors about the train and was even at the house when one of them passed. It was LOUD and unmistakably A TRAIN.....I think you learn to adjust to natural and unnatural influences wherever you live. Heck, even people in certain parts of River Oaks, Memorial, etc. have MAJOR thoroughfares running directly in front of their homes. You don't see them petitioning the city to close these arteries.

It doesn't really bother me during the day, it's the 2-4 a.m. trains that are such a problem. Ironically, it seems like the engineer blows the horn louder at night than during daytime hours. That is the frustrating part.

I had lunch in Old Town Spring yesterday at Wunsche Bros. and noticed that the train passed the restaurant at least 3 times in about 2 hours. Now that is what I would call busy.

It was late afternoon, the restaurant was pretty deserted, and while I could hear the train, the horn, and the rumble, I would not call it too loud. For those that are not familiar, the train tracks are probably less than 100-200 yards from the business.

I don't live nearly that close the train, but I didn't find it to be atrocious.

Oh yeah ... the airplanes are landing again overheard at Ella Crossing this morning. We had 4 days of peace. Go figure.

• 2 weeks later...

Apparently there are other solutions than quiet zones, as the Chronicle reports in this article.

Since the Chronicle doesn't keep its articles available on the internet very long, I'll summarize (to the best of my understanding). The city of Sugar Land is reducing noise around RR crossings by installing "wayside horns" at the crossings, which focus their sound in the direction of oncoming traffic only, as opposed to the multi-directional horns on the trains. I guess the trains just don't blow their horns any more, and instead rely on these quieter, pinpointed horns at the crossings to blow. The Sugar Land mayor describes the wayside horns' sound as "much, much quieter."

I'm a little leery of any of these compromises that seem to sacrifice public safety for the sake of property value and/or comfort (particularly when the train tracks were there first). I guess the question is how reliable are the automatic crossing horns, vs. the manual horn of the train conductor? I have no idea, though I suppose neither one is perfect (the conductor might fall asleep!) so maybe it's a reasonable solution. My biggest concern would be that while it would be obvious right away if a train's horn quit working (not to mention that it would seem less likely in the first place), a broken & uninspected crossing horn could go unfixed for days, weeks...

Anyhow, the Chronicle reports that Sugar Land is paying $750K for 10 crossings, if you think you can convince someone to pay something comparable for Gleannloch Farms. That doesn't sound too expensive for such a large community, though I would guess (and this is only a guess) that might be more difficult in an unincorporated area than in a small city like Sugar Land...?

I read the article as well and the only reservations I have are the reliability of the horns they put up. How susceptible to vandalism and the lifespan of such a device they didn't expand upon.

While I don't have a problem with the price, I do have a problem with people having problems with an issue that was there long before they moved in.

Why not just pay to have noise barriers put up between your neighborhood and the trains? That's what homeowners in New Jersey did. They all pitched in and erected an accoustic barrier between their homes and I-80. In just a couple of years it was all covered with ivy and very pretty. Just like the railroad can run as many trains as it wants on its land, I see no reason why sleepless homeowners can't put up a noise barrier on their land.

Why not just pay to have noise barriers put up between your neighborhood and the trains? That's what homeowners in New Jersey did. They all pitched in and erected an accoustic barrier between their homes and I-80. In just a couple of years it was all covered with ivy and very pretty. Just like the railroad can run as many trains as it wants on its land, I see no reason why sleepless homeowners can't put up a noise barrier on their land.

Anyone who has built roads or anything that has noise barriers involved will tell you they will not have the impact you are wanting. In order to deter noise from traffic, or a train in this case you will not only need a noise barrier, but at the minimum 100' of full grown vegetation as well. That isn't going to happen.

Just think about this, I live in Gleannloch and hear the train all the time, and I have friends that live over 2 miles from the tracks, and complain about the train noise. A sound barrier will not do squat with a train whistle.

• 1 month later...

Seems like the trains have gotten a lot more busier lately. Anyone feel that there have been more 2am trains as of late?

Also has anyone had any luck installing tall hedges in their back yard to dampen the noise?

I read somewhere of a type of insulation for media rooms that dampens noise and can be installed in existing walls anyone have any suggestions on such a product?

Seems like the trains have gotten a lot more busier lately. Anyone feel that there have been more 2am trains as of late?

Also has anyone had any luck installing tall hedges in their back yard to dampen the noise?

I read somewhere of a type of insulation for media rooms that dampens noise and can be installed in existing walls anyone have any suggestions on such a product?

Soundproofing an exitsting room can be done but is expensive. Just google and look at soundproofing home theaters. They can take a romo with VERY loud subwoofers and highs and soundproof it so that not only is it isolated, but rooms next to it can't even hear it.

Here is one site... http://www.soundprooffoam.com/soundproofin...retro-best.html

Do all of that craud and I am pretty sure you wont hear no train. Much less anything else...

I have a 3800 sq ft 2story home made by Lennar homes. Supposedly Energy Star / Double pane windows etc..

The home is in a cul-de-sac and the back of the home faces the train tracks. The tracks and crossing is a mile away. Its not so loud that I can't hear my self think but it loud as an annoyance almost like a car alarm down the street. I worry that my daughter would wake up from the noise.

I wish there was more i could to do to stop this but if i can soundproof the exteriror rooms facing the train i think it would help. The top half of the home have hardiplank backing and possibly this is why i'm hearing more noise than i would downstairs which is brick.

there has been more activity lately and wish ppl would get toghter get some type of quiet zone created so that these ppl are not honking at 3am!!

• 1 month later...
Thanks ur a great help.. I'll keep you in mind. (NOT)

A little late to the discussion but just found it via google. I too am soooo tired of the train noise. I live in Memorial Springs subdivision which is adjacent to railroad tracks. Was interesting reading the responses your initial question raised. Of course easiest answer is to move or ask why did you move there in the first place if you knew train noise would be such a problem. Well, the easy answer to that is... I wouldn't if I had known it would be like this! I guarantee we wouldn't have bought here if that train had rolled by just once while we were looking. Only two short and two long quick toots said the agent. Can you say 2nd floor bedrooms at same height as elevated train and it's wicked air horn? Can't imagine anyone wanting to live near train noise like this on purpose. Just soooo much fun tending to babies getting scared out of their beds at 1,2,3,4am in the morning. My favorite is the conductor who insists on blaring the horn at least 15+ times while rolling through. We think his ex-wife lives in the neighborhood somewhere. Believe me, I know how many because I'm awake and counting.... I've tried HOA and blasting e-mails to Burlington Northern but of course the answer is the same. Should not have moved here. Ok, I get it. Got it. Now what can be done to mitigate. City and Feds have to fit the bill. Problem is how to convince. Petition may get it started but it'll be a long fight. I'm willing.

Petition, gripe, scream, whatever winds your clock, but it is a waste of time. RR have had those right of ways dating back to the 1840's, and they have the complete right of way. And just to emphasize my point, hypothetically if the railroad wanted to expand it's right of way, and your property borders the RR right of way, they can claim eminent domain and pay you fair market value and take more land if it is needed and can be justified, and justification being they just need more room. That most likeky never going to happen, because they have more than enough already, but I was just trying to make a point.

So complain all you want and good luck, you are going to need it.

I really hate to say it again but that is what you get living close to the tracks. I don't like it either but this is the neighborhood we chose to live in. People complaing about the train, andf the airport which were here long before any of these neighborhoods were even thought of is just crazy. You all knew they were there.

You are all going to be real unhappy when the Grand Parkway goes through, and the potential toll road that goes ontop of those trcks and intersects with the parkway right at the back of Gleannloch. Those things were not planned when I moved in so I can complain, but to complain about something that was there years before me and that I knew was there is useless.

What I have learned in fight the GP is that no matter what you do, or how many people are against it the gov't and its investors are going to do what they want regardless.

I really hate to say it again but that is what you get living close to the tracks. I don't like it either but this is the neighborhood we chose to live in. People complaing about the train, andf the airport which were here long before any of these neighborhoods were even thought of is just crazy. You all knew they were there.

You are all going to be real unhappy when the Grand Parkway goes through, and the potential toll road that goes ontop of those trcks and intersects with the parkway right at the back of Gleannloch. Those things were not planned when I moved in so I can complain, but to complain about something that was there years before me and that I knew was there is useless.

What I have learned in fight the GP is that no matter what you do, or how many people are against it the gov't and its investors are going to do what they want regardless.

I'm assuming that you live in GLF. If so, then you must have missed the information about the Grand Parkway as it has been planned in these parts since, oh, the 1980s, or earlier I believe. More precisely, when my wife and I moved here in summer 1999 as well as when we signed our earnest money contract in December 1998, we were completely aware of the Grand Parkway development plans. Humorously, I remember speaking with one of the developers (Cannon) about the timeframe on the Grand Parkway at an HOA meeting in April 2000 and he said that the expectation is that we will be driving on it in 7-8 years - not that he was counting on this happening.

If anything the developers ensured that the Grand Parkway was to run along the far northside of the property as the original designation was that the Grand Parkway would cross through GLF right down Northpointe Blvd. Wow! Wouldn't that have been something!

My point is that any long term capital project is planned decades in advance. For example, the beltway / Sam Houston tollway was originally conceived in the 1960s. I know that MaxConcrete can better attest to the accuracy of this.

Anywhere you intend to live, you have to be completely mindful of the range of possibilties for potential future development near you. If you buy a homesite with a beautiful wooded lot behind (but is owned by you or not part of your neighborhood), you have to be prepared that the owner of that lot will sell it or develop something on that lot that will adversely affect your home.

These are all things that I considered when I was choosing my home location because no place is perfect, including my own, unless you have unlimited funds to spend.

:lol:

Hi, I'm new at this forum. Incidentally, I did a search on "Wayside Horns" and stumbled upon this forum and thread.

I live about 600 ft. from a RR tracks that runs through Cutten Rd., so I hear you! I understand your frustration.

Probably, as many of you, when I saw this house, I felt like "home" and just purchased it. Didn't think much of how close the house was to the RR. Probably it's because prior to moving, I lived in an apartment with the same distance from the RR tracks (FM1960 by Willowbrook) and was not bothered by it.

Besides, finding a home can be overwhelming. I had thousands of concerns and plans running through my head and the simple thing as the noise from a railroad was simply not in my mind. Hey, even if it was, the house, its location near work and its price sure won over the noise.

Personally, I'm not bothered by it and I sleep very soundly at night. It's family and guests that are bothered by it when they come to visit. If they're not comfortable, then, I'm not neither. One person I'm most concerned about is my sister-in-law. She has insomnia and need sleeping pills to put her to sleep. The train sound would cut her sleeping time down to only 2-3 hrs. at night.

Living in this area for over 4 yrs., you can almost learn which engineer is working on the train. Regardless of what the laws say, some engineers work on their horn more obnoxiously than others. As if they have no curteousy at all to the residents. Then, there are some that are very gentle with the horn during the night.

Btw, if you pay attention, the noise usually go through the windows of your home, not so much through the walls. I did changed all the windows to double layers glass but it didn't help as much. Simply, it's because the sound bounces and magnifies through the glass.

Anyhow, so we do agree that there's a problem. Let's find a way to solve it.

I believe that Sugar Land is smart for installing the "Wayside Horns" throughout the city. Residents claimed of good result. This is probably a more reasonable solution for us here in this side of Houston too.

If you really look at the map, there are lots of subdivisions along this RR tracks. I'm sure, we're not the only ones bothered by the train noise.

So, how do we go about requesting the county to install this Wayside Horns system along the RR intersections? After all, we pay tax, right? Let's get together and make this happened! Anyone?

Natalie

So, how do we go about requesting the county to install this Wayside Horns system along the RR intersections? After all, we pay tax, right? Let's get together and make this happened! Anyone?

Natalie

First off, welcome to the system.

If you had read in this thread (and other similar ones), you can tell that we generally don't have much sympathy (I live close to the tracks too).

Just remember, this isn't about "My paying taxes" but rather, how can you "compromise" with Union Pacific in using the Wayside Horn system. UP isn't part of the government and they can't really be bullied, nor will your local representative will be able to help you out on this matter. You have to remember that they would bear much of the cost themselves to make YOUR life bearable.

You don't really seem to have an issue except when friends and family come over, and being perfectly frank (and, presently "lit"), I would suggest perhaps it would be best if your relatives simply stayed a night at a hotel if the train bothered them.

Some communities in other parts of the state have been successful going to council meetigs when it comes to Wayside Horns. Wayside Horns are a little easier, albeit none of the solutions are easy, to get in place as it doesn't require too muc infrastructure. Then the horns would be heard mostly at the crossing rather than on the approach. The cost is still soley on the local government so it would require alot of bitchin from alot of people. Would definitely be easier than Quiet Zones though.

In short. Good luck.

I'm assuming that you live in GLF. If so, then you must have missed the information about the Grand Parkway as it has been planned in these parts since, oh, the 1980s, or earlier I believe. More precisely, when my wife and I moved here in summer 1999 as well as when we signed our earnest money contract in December 1998, we were completely aware of the Grand Parkway development plans. Humorously, I remember speaking with one of the developers (Cannon) about the timeframe on the Grand Parkway at an HOA meeting in April 2000 and he said that the expectation is that we will be driving on it in 7-8 years - not that he was counting on this happening.

If anything the developers ensured that the Grand Parkway was to run along the far northside of the property as the original designation was that the Grand Parkway would cross through GLF right down Northpointe Blvd. Wow! Wouldn't that have been something!

My point is that any long term capital project is planned decades in advance. For example, the beltway / Sam Houston tollway was originally conceived in the 1960s. I know that MaxConcrete can better attest to the accuracy of this.

Anywhere you intend to live, you have to be completely mindful of the range of possibilties for potential future development near you. If you buy a homesite with a beautiful wooded lot behind (but is owned by you or not part of your neighborhood), you have to be prepared that the owner of that lot will sell it or develop something on that lot that will adversely affect your home.

These are all things that I considered when I was choosing my home location because no place is perfect, including my own, unless you have unlimited funds to spend.

:lol:

Actually you are only part right. The grand parkway, while always considered to be north of Gleannloch, the actual location was not determined until 2 years ago, there were several routes, inlcuding one that had it going through tomball and nowhere near the back of gleannloch. So your statement is correct, within a certain point of view.

• The title was changed to Train Noise In Gleanloch Farms/Memorial Creek Estates

Archived